autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer added “Paint protection”. Should I get my own instead?

Thanks for the help everyone. Yea that color looks very beautiful when polished and ceramic coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    Like everyone else has said, invest in some equipment and learn to do it yourself. Since I had some old Ryobi batteries from old lawn care equipment I bought a Ryobi cordless polisher and learned how to do a light polish and spray coatings and then worked my way up to a real coating.
    Oh that's funny. I bought the SAME exact polisher for the SAME exact reason lol.

2. Likes Optimus Grime, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where in AZ are you? First off anything from the Dealership is going to be less than acceptable. Remember, the dealership sells UNITS, then financing, then warranties, then vin etching, then clear bra, and anything else they can load your finance document up with.

I just bought a new to me ('m totally struggling with a Show-N-Shine post right now.. the photo uploader will no longer work!!!! UGGGG), 2020 Lincoln Corsair with 27K Miles. I told the dealership DO NOTHING. Do not wash it, do not do anything. Their idea of detailing is the local carwash.

Look, I understand AZ, and I understand AZ Sun and clear coat damage. The only thing that is going to protect from the UV's and Sandstorms is a good ceramic coating, and parking in a covered or garage as much as possible. Do regular maintenance washes. The dust here is brutal. I also understand trying to work on a vehicle in this extreme heat. I've been getting up every morning at 4:30 am to work on the Lincoln.

Second, who cares about 10 year warranties? Where are you going to be in 10 years from today? Where is the dealership going to be in 10 years from today? Where is this car going to be in 10 years?

Simple advice, do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. You've already seen what the dealership can do, and if that's their best, then forget about the warranty. Coatings in AZ only last 2 years anyway. One sandstorm, mixed with monsoon rain, mixed with you parked in a parking lot and they used recycled water to water the nearby lawn, it's done. (how would I know about all these!). The latter, recycled water. Had washed my around-town-car (Honda Fit), and put a topping of CQ Reload on it. Took the Mrs to the Chandler Performing Arts to see a show. There was a grassy area near where we parked. Came out, car was getting pelted by sprinklers using recycled water. Took 2 days to get that car polished, and recoated.

Do it yourself or unless there are extenuating circumstances, pay someone to do it.

4. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, Jackismydog, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trusting any car dealer anything they say is a big, big mistake (same applies to real estate agents and lawyers).

(This is my personal opinion, obviously, but I feel many may agree with me).

Flex 3401 & PE14

6. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike is from a large dealership. Fast forward 3/4 through…..

Top 5 Items to Avoid Buying from Car Dealerships - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Mike is from a large dealership. Fast forward 3/4 through…..

Top 5 Items to Avoid Buying from Car Dealerships - YouTube
    Mike is awesome. I used to watch his videos when he was at the Chevy store. I learned a lot from him.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Where in AZ are you? First off anything from the Dealership is going to be less than acceptable. Remember, the dealership sells UNITS, then financing, then warranties, then vin etching, then clear bra, and anything else they can load your finance document up with.

I just bought a new to me ('m totally struggling with a Show-N-Shine post right now.. the photo uploader will no longer work!!!! UGGGG), 2020 Lincoln Corsair with 27K Miles. I told the dealership DO NOTHING. Do not wash it, do not do anything. Their idea of detailing is the local carwash.

Look, I understand AZ, and I understand AZ Sun and clear coat damage. The only thing that is going to protect from the UV's and Sandstorms is a good ceramic coating, and parking in a covered or garage as much as possible. Do regular maintenance washes. The dust here is brutal. I also understand trying to work on a vehicle in this extreme heat. I've been getting up every morning at 4:30 am to work on the Lincoln.

Second, who cares about 10 year warranties? Where are you going to be in 10 years from today? Where is the dealership going to be in 10 years from today? Where is this car going to be in 10 years?

Simple advice, do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. You've already seen what the dealership can do, and if that's their best, then forget about the warranty. Coatings in AZ only last 2 years anyway. One sandstorm, mixed with monsoon rain, mixed with you parked in a parking lot and they used recycled water to water the nearby lawn, it's done. (how would I know about all these!). The latter, recycled water. Had washed my around-town-car (Honda Fit), and put a topping of CQ Reload on it. Took the Mrs to the Chandler Performing Arts to see a show. There was a grassy area near where we parked. Came out, car was getting pelted by sprinklers using recycled water. Took 2 days to get that car polished, and recoated.

Do it yourself or unless there are extenuating circumstances, pay someone to do it.
    I'm in Phoenix, AZ. And yea I feel you, it's brutally hot and dry. I washed my car about few weeks ago under a shaded spot, even so, water would dry up within a minute or two. Unfortunately, I did get some water spots.

Lesson learned not to wash cars during the day in the summer.

Then like you said, a few dust storm and it was in a horribly dirty. I was pretty sure I'd have some scratches just from the storm.

Anyway, washed it 2 days ago at like 10pm. Went better this time and seems to be scratch free.

I'll do a full polish and ceramic coating in the winter.

Thanks again for all the details!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r3faat1 View Post
    I'm in Phoenix, AZ. And yea I feel you, it's brutally hot and dry. I washed my car about few weeks ago under a shaded spot, even so, water would dry up within a minute or two. Unfortunately, I did get some water spots.

Lesson learned not to wash cars during the day in the summer.

Then like you said, a few dust storm and it was in a horribly dirty. I was pretty sure I'd have some scratches just from the storm.

Anyway, washed it 2 days ago at like 10pm. Went better this time and seems to be scratch free.

I'll do a full polish and ceramic coating in the winter.

Thanks again for all the details!
    Are you aware of Purtech Water? Deionized Water | Puretec Industrial Water
    I have the larger tank in the garage. No issues with washing in sunlight.

If you decide to use their services, please PM me. I've turned about 4 people onto them, and if I'm mentioned as a referral. I do get a bit of a discount.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea I sort of heard about it and the concept, but I live in a small condo so don't really have any space for a large tank. I'll send you a PM if the situation ever changes though.

12. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r3faat1 View Post
    Yea I sort of heard about it and the concept, but I live in a small condo so don't really have any space for a large tank. I'll send you a PM if the situation ever changes though.
    You've gotta learn the art of rinseless washing. I think it's a must for someone living in an apartment or condo.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not trust a dealer added anything. Take it to a professional or do your research, buy the products and tools and then do it yourself.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12