autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need more cut, which do you find is better to go with a more aggressive compound or pad?

If you need more cut, do you tend to go with a more aggressive compound or pad? If usually pick one over the other, please explain why.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you need more cut, which do you find is better to go with a more aggressive compound or pad?

Do what i think works best for each situation. And gives you the result you are after.

For me personally, 9.5 times outta 10 im using a compound with a cutting pad and a polish with a polishing pad. Even if its a light cutting pad, im using a compound with it. I dont see that im gaining much by just using compound with polishing pad or a polish with cutting pad.

Only time i go for something else with my pads is if im using 3d 505(3d speeds sister). Which is rare, cuz im usually doing some sort of ceramic protection application.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you need more cut, which do you find is better to go with a more aggressive compound or pad?

I always like to depend on the compound and not the pad. Trying to use a polish and only stepping up the pad is like wearing a sweater during a rainstorm, you should’ve worn a raincoat. Do it once and do it right.

5. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bri26 View Post
    If you need more cut, do you tend to go with a more aggressive compound or pad? If usually pick one over the other, please explain why.
    When polishing paint I am not familiar with, and the marring on the paint isn't too bad, I start with polish on polishing pad on my test spot. For example Meguiars 210 on Lake Country White Pad. If that makes an improvement but I need a little more, I will step up to a compound like Meguiars 110 also on a Lake Country White Pad. In many cases that will do the trick. If not, then I will stick with Megs 110, but use a Lake Country Orange Cutting Pad. I can continue to step up if need be. For example, if I need more aggression, I will go to Meg's heavy compound, Megs 101. That on a cutting pad such as Lake County Orange will clean up the vast majority of marring. To get more aggressive than that, I will need to go with wool or microfiber which is really pulling out the heavy artillery at that point.

That was when dealing with unfamiliar paint that is not marred too bad, if the paint is trashed, I will skip the polish on a polishing pad on my test section and go straight to one step farther up the aggression progression, that being, compound on polishing pad ie Megs 110 on Lake Country white and just keep working my up till I reach satisfactory correction.

These days, I never go for marring free paint, just don't like to remove that much clear coat. If I can't see the marring from 5 feet way, and the shine looks good, I'm happy and so are all my customers who I explain the risks of me going nuts on their clear, not worth the risk to me.

7. Thanks Prange, legcramp thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually jump up the liquid first and try the same pad (clean pad). If still not quite there i change to a firmer pad. That usually does it. I rarely do more than 3 test spots to dial something in that the customer wants.

I record every customer and know what works on their paint. The above process is for new clients.

It always depends on the paint and conditions.

Great question, btw. There's no right answer and comes from experience.

9. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes DanaDetailingPros, Prange, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My choice would be using more aggressive compound first, with variations of a DA speed increase and my hand pressure on the pad stepping up.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I usually try 2 test panels with the same pad and different compound. If the best one does the trick but is just a bit shy I will go to a Blue vs.Orange. Or yellow to Orange etc. If I'm still not happy I will go up in compound with original pad.
    most pad switches I usually do without changing compound is a micro vs. a foam. Last cast scenario is the dreaded rotary on a purple wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I usually jump up the liquid first and try the same pad (clean pad). If still not quite there i change to a firmer pad.
    This is my approach too. I typically work with a medium cut pad and I move up/down the aggressiveness scale with my liquids before swapping out pads.

There's no right answer and comes from experience.
    The almost infinite variance in variables between the hardness of the paint, cut liquids, and cut of the pads means each car can be a bit different. You just have to try combinations of what is on hand to dial in the best results.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes DanaDetailingPros, Paul A., PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always gone with a more aggressive compound/polish first
    2014 BMW 535 M Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Depends, but if you're using a compound (DAT), then you can go to a firmer pad or MF for more cut, and probably still get great finish. If you're using a typical polish (that only goes down to about 2500-3000 grit), you're never going to get the cut you need, no matter what pad you choose.

In my experience, only a versatile compound (DAT) can do both cutting and one step (good cut with good finish), and you can go with difference density or open/closed cell depending on the softness/hardness of the paint.

Where as a polish, no matter what pads you use, are really only for finishing. I suppose on a really soft/finicky paint type, you can get enough cut with polish, but not medium/hard paints. Again, my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast