autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideally, would it be best to buy a car on a sunny day?

Just bought a used Lincoln. I brought my PTG and my light. Because we're in AZ, the dealership has a viewing bay for purchasers, so they're not standing on a lot when it's 900 degrees outside. The paint is a mess, but nothing I can't take care of. What I was really looking for was any abnormal readings on the PTG.

True Story: In 2005 I bought a brand-new Monte Carlo from a Chevy dealer in Danvers MA. Not one person in the shop (considering it MA) was from north of the Mason-Dixon line. Everyone had Southern accents. Nothing wrong with that, but it should have been a red flag as to why they're operating in Massachusetts.

Anyway, it was a cloudy day, raining, and the delivery was to my former residence in NH to avoid sales tax (yes, it's legal). It was pouring out. The very next day, it was nice and sunny. I decided to go out and wash the car. I saw remanence of painter's tape, and a lot of bad orange peel along with clear coat that was rough and dull.

Turns out during the winter months, the car sat on the lot and a snow clearing crew used shovels to get the snow off the cars. The dealership brought the car into their body shop and just did a simple respray. They sprayed everything, over rubber seals, trim, you name it.

Since lemon laws don't protect against paint, the best they offered was to send the car to a custom hot-rod build shop that does show cars, and have it repainted. I took them up on it and the car came back amazing. They left no stone unturned. All the rubber trim was new, the paint was gorgeous, and looked like a show car. I was at a gas station and a guy pulled in with the same car, the same color, and asked "Why does your car look so much better than mine, is that a custom paint job?"

So yes, buying in inclement weather can suck if you can't get a feel for the paint and dealerships don't care and they'll never disclose anything. To them it's a "UNIT." and they have numbers to make at the end of the month. That's all it is, a number. Get them, get them out, and make a profit come hell or high water.

2. Likes bill walsh, Eldorado2k, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The only kind of magnet I’d ever let a stranger touch my paint with would be a thin business card type… If some bozo pulled out a heavy rock hard magnet and tried it I’d physically stop him before he even gets near my paint with it. That would legit p*** me off. Lol.
    He put a microfiber cloth between the magnet and the paint. He was careful not to pull it across the paint, and only checked areas common for rust repairs....lower quarters, rockers, lower fenders, around windshield and rear windows.

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    True Story: In 2005 I bought a brand-new Monte Carlo

Turns out during the winter months, the car sat on the lot and a snow clearing crew used shovels to get the snow off the cars.
    In the arly 80's, the dealership I sold at used stiff fiber push brooms to remove the snow off the horizontal surfaces. Detail shop you ask, forget about it. More then once I brought my own supplies from home to finish a car I sold to my standards.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always had them bring the car inside under the fluorescent lighting. Usually, there’s a spot wherebthe6 deliver the new cars. I can see all from in there. Much better than in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

I only sell old cars at night on dimly lit streets. It has a more old fashioned ambience about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    If you really want to raise eyebrows you bring a midget with you and have him inspect the rocker panels and even have him lay on a creeper to check out the underbody n stuff. Make him wear a white labcoat and carry a clipboard for added effect. Lol.

And don’t forget the paint meter.
    LMFAO!!!

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12