autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

When do you know that you went as far as you should go with a paint correction?

I understand that some panels may not result in perfection or even near perfection, how do you know when you reached the limit for paint correction on a given body panel? What are you looking for as far as indicators to not go any further?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do you know that you went as far as you should go with a paint correction?

Great question.

It comes down to when you're happy with a test spot. Be careful with older paint. It probably has been thinned over time and without a thickness gauge you really don't know how deep to cut. Newer paints, although thin, are a little more workable.

Again, test spots until you are happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When do you know that you went as far as you should go with a paint correction?

Is this your personal vehicle or a customer?

Skill, supplies and tools may also play a factor on the "limits". For example if one is using too light or too aggressive of a polish with the wrong pad on a machine with too much or not enough speed/torque using an improper technique *could* very well impact the final outcome. This person may feel they've done all they can do not knowing what they don't know. Make sense?

Probably best to explain your tools, supplies, technique, end goal and vehicle so that the group can diagnose if its user related or truly a limit of the paint.

4. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All my cars are daily drivers so I keep in mind that perfection if achieved will not be perfection down the road. I also keep in mind that future polishing will be needed and to try and preserve as much clear as I can, this can only be judged with a paint gauge. My truck is different but the others in my household go thru the regular day to day use and over time will need to be polished so saving the clear is way more important to me than perfection

6. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My views on this topic are a bit different... I say you've gone far enough when you have removed the defects you are addressing.

There is a caveat though.

Some defects are severe enough that they can't be removed. This is where experience and judgement come into play. You have to make that determination and set your expectations accordingly.

Generally speaking, here is how I make the assessment you are asking. Basic, superficial swirls and maintenance marring can be completely removed many times over the life of a vehicle. Often enough that there is really no concern (or near no concern) when dealing with this type of defect. Anything beyond that, i.e., RIDS (random isolated deeper scratches), severe water spots, bird etchings, etc., are where the concern level increases. These types of defects require removing signifcant amounts of clear coat to eliminate, thus, your judgement comes into play... How much risk are you comfortable with and are you prepared to accept the consequences if things go awry?

In practice, my general philosophy is to completely remove the superficial type defects and live with what's left of the other isolated, more severe defects.

8. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Bri26, opie, PaulMys, Prange, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little more info. It's a daily driver with a hard GM clear coat. I used 3D One with a Lake Country blue SDO pad on the fenders for 2 passes at speed 4 and then followed up with a Meguiars 3 n 1 with a Lake Country orange SDO pad for 2 passes on speed 3 or 4. The results are pretty much all the swirls are gone and only a few random scratches remain.

The hood is a little different story. Basically, I have gone to a total of 6 passes with the LC blue SDO pad at speed 5. I then went with an Oberk 1 step yellow pad for 2 passes on speed 5. I felt like the slightly stiffer Oberk 1 step yellow pad gave a little more cut than the LC blue SDO pad. I then followed with Meguiars 3 n 1 with a Lake Country orange SDO pad for 2 passes on speed 3 or 4. The results have given about a 50% to 60% improvement on the hood. I still see some swirls, marring and scratches in full sun at the right angle. I'm really trying to decide whether to try a microfiber pad on the hood or 2 to 4 more passes with either the Oberk or LC blue pad or stay where I'm at which is really good but not quite as good as the fenders as far as overall gloss and clarity of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bri26 View Post
    Just a little more info. It's a daily driver with a hard GM clear coat. I used 3D One with a Lake Country blue SDO pad on the fenders for 2 passes at speed 4 and then followed up with a Meguiars 3 n 1 with a Lake Country orange SDO pad for 2 passes on speed 3 or 4. The results are pretty much all the swirls are gone and only a few random scratches remain.

The hood is a little different story. Basically, I have gone to a total of 6 passes with the LC blue SDO pad at speed 5. I then went with an Oberk 1 step yellow pad for 2 passes on speed 5. I felt like the slightly stiffer Oberk 1 step yellow pad gave a little more cut than the LC blue SDO pad. I then followed with Meguiars 3 n 1 with a Lake Country orange SDO pad for 2 passes on speed 3 or 4. The results have given about a 50% to 60% improvement on the hood. I still see some swirls, marring and scratches in full sun at the right angle. I'm really trying to decide whether to try a microfiber pad on the hood or 2 to 4 more passes with either the Oberk or LC blue pad or stay where I'm at which is really good but not quite as good as the fenders as far as overall gloss and clarity of the paint.
    For the hood... I would just do a few more passes with the tools/pads and products you have to remove any remaining swirls/marring. Forget the random scratches. As far as the gloss and clarity go, the hood may never reach the level of the fenders due to simple physics. The paint on the hood will always deteriorate and age faster than the paint on the fenders because of the exposure it is subjected to. The paint on the hood may well be compromised to the point that no amount of polishing will restore the gloss and clarity as well as can be achieved on the vertical panels.

11. Thanks Bri26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how many defects are acceptable to you. If you own a dedicated show car that demands perfection, then go for absolute perfection. If it's a daily driver the bar is probably going to be lower.

13. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped chasing perfection a long time ago. Both our cars are daily drivers and take that abuse year-round in the Midwest. Preserving the clear-coat is my priority. If they look great from three feet away, that’s fine with me.

Post Thanks / Like

When do you know that you went as far as you should go with a paint correction?

Just out of curiosity what color is the paint and what kind of vehicle is this? Pics?