autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro CQUK3.0 problems in soft Toyota black paint: streaking and absorbed into paint

Having another problem here.

I was applying CQUK on a black Toyota. I have applied CQUK on many Toyotas and Hondas previously with no problem. However this time the coating seems to be absorbed into the paint and streaked, or left high spots. I noticed the pattern of the streak was from the initial line when applying the product.

I applied CQUK on Euro cars like BMW/mercedes/Porsche previously and it was so easy as advertised. Newer Toyotas (2022 up) always had this problem for me

I’m applying it with Carpro’s suede applicator and block. Wiping off with a brand new microfiber towel. I wipe off after 30-60sec as it already flashes. I used a brand new bottle produced May 2023.

What am I doing wrong? Do any of you have tips & solutions? or is CQUK just not suited for soft paints?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro CQUK3.0 problems in soft Toyota black paint: streaking and absorbed into paint

Here’s how it looks. It looks better in these photos actually. In real life it looks worse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpro CQUK3.0 problems in soft Toyota black paint: streaking and absorbed into paint

You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s an issue with the paint. If you have CarPro Essence that helps with that issue.

Also try a microfiber applicator and see if that helps.

4. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes Jackismydog liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You’re not doing anything wrong. It’s an issue with the paint. If you have CarPro Essence that helps with that issue.

Also try a microfiber applicator and see if that helps.
    So I should use Essence with a finishing pad on that panel? Will polishing with Essence affect the hydrophobic properties?

I tried using a microfiber applicator and results were similar.

Do you have other ceramic coating recommendations that works well on softer paints?
    I have tried Carpro Sic and Gyeon Cancoat Evo previously. Sic had the same problem, and Cancoat was very easy to apply but it just doesn’t last that long.

Post Thanks / Like

Essence is a primer polish and is abrasive so it will remove the coating. I worked on a white FJ that had this same issue and Essence resolved this. You will not want to work it long. If you work it too long it will absorb in and give you the same experience. If it does that you will have to do one quick pass and wipe off. This should help the coating apply properly as their is a layer of SiO2 on the surface now. I did this long ago so I can not recall which coating I used and whether I did a panel wipe after or not. I believe I did.

It is an issue with the paint. Black FJ paint does the same thing.

7. Thanks nmatthew thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Essence is a primer polish and is abrasive so it will remove the coating. I worked on a white FJ that had this same issue and Essence resolved this. You will not want to work it long. If you work it too long it will absorb in and give you the same experience. If it does that you will have to do one quick pass and wipe off. This should help the coating apply properly as their is a layer of SiO2 on the surface now. I did this long ago so I can not recall which coating I used and whether I did a panel wipe after or not. I believe I did.

It is an issue with the paint. Black FJ paint does the same thing.
    Unfortunately I don’t have Essence now, and I have to finish this car asap. Will surely try this method next.

Damn, soft black paints are a pain to work on!
    Thanks for the help, Guz

9. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post