autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How to get floor mats soft again?

Hi all,
    I washed my BMW mats with some Folex Spot Remover and they lost a lot of their softness. I spot cleaned the stains, then scrubbed the whole mat with less product. Rinsed thoroughly with a pressure washer and let sun dry. They were nice and clean, but fairly stiff. I rinsed again a few days later to make sure all the product was out, and let sun dry again. They might be slightly better, but not what they were before i washed them.

Any advice on another cleaner/shampoo that might bring them back?

Thanks!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to get floor mats soft again?

Maybe try tumbling them in your dryer for a few minutes on low heat

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use a rinse agent? Here's my trio of products for interior extraction. Rinse agents serve several purposes, mainly neutralizing the pH of the cleaners and by doing so they will bring the soft plush back to fabrics. Especially important on modern vehicles where the carpet is poly-based.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Thanks Prange, Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes bill walsh, Prange, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Did you use a rinse agent? Here's my trio of products for interior extraction. Rinse agents serve several purposes, mainly neutralizing the pH of the cleaners and by doing so they will bring the soft plush back to fabrics. Especially important on modern vehicles where the carpet is poly-based.

Sorry if I've asked this before - but if I guy were just using a basic carpet shampoo'r (IE: the little pet spot style or any residential carpet cleaner with a single tank it dispenses water or premixed soap/water from), what would the sequence be with the above chemicals?
    Would you mix any of them in the machine's dispensing tank, or stick to manually applying them via a separate sprayer?

Post Thanks / Like

How about -brushing- the carpets .

I generally use an extractor which (sucks), etc....but any chance the HP water just changed the fibers a bit texturally
    When I do my interiors and do a HP -blow out-, not water...just air, I actually am mindful to not be too close to even the side trunk panels, etc as it leaves - line- from the nozzle and the HP air

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Sorry if I've asked this before - but if I guy were just using a basic carpet shampoo'r (IE: the little pet spot style or any residential carpet cleaner with a single tank it dispenses water or premixed soap/water from), what would the sequence be with the above chemicals?
    Would you mix any of them in the machine's dispensing tank, or stick to manually applying them via a separate sprayer?
    Use the Upholstery cleaner in a spray bottle, and apply it first. Agitate, let dwell per instructions, etc. Use the Final Rinse or another Brand Rinse agent in the solution dispenser tank on your home extractor. The no-foam is really mainly for commercial extractors as it protects the motor. I don't use it in my home spot extractors.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick update...i rinsed again with plain water from the hose, no pressure washer this time. Let sun dry again, and they seem slightly better so i'm hoping it's just residual product. I bought some Chemical Guys Fabric Clean to wash them again and see if that helps.

I'll also try the rinse agent TTQ mentioned.

Thanks all,
    Matt