autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice for 2011 Camaro, cloth-top convertible care

I have a friend, who's in the medical field and inherited her dad's 2011 2SS Camaro convertible. She is too far away (over an hour) for me to detail her car for her, so she is looking at a local detailing shop and asked me what to ask them and the things to question them about.

I know enough about PAINT care to guide her on what is and isn't necessary and the 'warning signs' of a scam. But she said her convertible top is CLOTH, and while I DO know that cloth tops are treated very differently than vinyl tops, but beyond that, I don't know how to advise her.

In a 'professional' setting, what types of cleaners and protectants SHOULD be used for a cloth top & how should they be used? Are there any specific products to avoid?

Any help/advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice for 2011 Camaro, cloth-top convertible care

I used to have a fabric top [canvas] on my previous Cadillac Seville, and the way I would go about cleaning it was to 1st dry brush it/sweep it with a somewhat soft nylon brush.

My next step was vacuuming it using a soft nylon brush attachment. Specifically the soft nylon brush attachment that comes in the Ridgid Auto Detailing Kit.

You’d be surprised how much of a difference just doing that can make.

3rd step is rinsing with the hose and using Meguiars Convertible Top Cleaner and scrubbing with the Raggtopp Convertible Top Brush [ basically another soft nylon brush] and then thoroughly rinsing till all the suds are gone.

Pat dry the majority of water with a large waffle weave drying towel.

I’d much rather have it done that way compared to what some “professional detailer” would probably do to it. They’re most likely going to go straight into high pressure rinse before dry extracting as much dirt as possible. IMO that’s about as ideal as cleaning your carpets before vacuuming 1st.

3. Thanks opie, Don M thanked for this post
    Likes DanaDetailingPros, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice for 2011 Camaro, cloth-top convertible care

She's talking to both me (on FB Messenger) and the "detailer" on their website. They told her that they use a Ceramic SPRAY COATING - for PAINT on the cloth tops! I asked her to clarify that with them and if they really ARE doing that to run away, fast
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

5. Likes opie, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 Colorado ZR2

7. Likes Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've sent her a link (from AutoGeek that I found on the internet) and it DOES mention RaggTopp cleaner and Protectant
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

The choice has been made - she has decided to run for the hills AWAY from this "detailer." He planned on using Adams ceramic coating (FOR PAINT) on her cloth convertible top!!!!! Plus charge $550 for a "Graphene/Ceramic Coating" using the same products, but did not mention ANY prep, except for a clay bar.

I'm glad I was able to steer her away from this "shop." I told her that I would try to locate a REPUTABLE shop / mobile detailer in her area (Bellville, near Mansfield), and if I couldn't find anyone, that *I* would buy the RaggTopp products and go out to her and do it myself (she's a member of my Camaro Club as well).
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

10. Likes opie, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using Raggtop for years on my soft tops (including my current 2008 MINI). I’ve been thinking about using ceramic fabric sealer (Gtecnic or maybe Gyeon) next time around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    The choice has been made - she has decided to run for the hills AWAY from this "detailer." He planned on using Adams ceramic coating (FOR PAINT) on her cloth convertible top!!!!! Plus charge $550 for a "Graphene/Ceramic Coating" using the same products, but did not mention ANY prep, except for a clay bar.

I'm glad I was able to steer her away from this "shop." I told her that I would try to locate a REPUTABLE shop / mobile detailer in her area (Bellville, near Mansfield), and if I couldn't find anyone, that *I* would buy the RaggTopp products and go out to her and do it myself (she's a member of my Camaro Club as well).
    Believe it or not Admas Ceramic does work on fabric tops like this.

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Believe it or not Admas Ceramic does work on fabric tops like this.
    I was not aware of that, but his FB page has almost NO information about what he DOES, he states his 'details' START at $140, but quoted her $550 for Graphene/Ceramic coating her Camaro (using Adams Graphene coating). Does not say WHAT, IF ANY prep work he does, except to mention claying. So how does he justify making his price $310 more than his "Starts At" price?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I was not aware of that, but his FB page has almost NO information about what he DOES, he states his 'details' START at $140, but quoted her $550 for Graphene/Ceramic coating her Camaro (using Adams Graphene coating). Does not say WHAT, IF ANY prep work he does, except to mention claying. So how does he justify making his price $310 more than his "Starts At" price?
    Yeah [mention]Sizzle Chest [/mention] had tested I believe and used Adam’s Graphene spray coating on at least one of his details he posted.

I would use A convertible top cleaner (used Griots and Meguiars myself) with the RaggTopp brush to clean.

I used Gtechniq fabric on my last convertible top and got a year including the NorthWest winter (a lot of rain)

I use that stuff on everything including my shoes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes Jackismydog liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast