autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Botched PPF Install - What Now?

Hey everyone, I recently had full front PPF done on my 2023 Golf R, and found that the installer (who is very reputable) cut into the paint when they tried to trim the film around the parking sensors on both sides of the front bumper.

I reached out to the shop owner and they were very apologetic. After showing them the pictures, they said that they are 99% certain that their mobile touchup guy can get this back to normal. If it's not to my satisfaction, then he said he would repaint the whole bumper and re-PPF it.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed here? I'm not convinced that the touchup guy can fix this, but at the same time, I don't want to repaint the entire front bumper on a brand new car.

TIA

Botched PPF Install - What Now?-img_4903-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Botched PPF Install - What Now?

Here is the thing with anything film related - whether it be PPF (which is much thicker to -score-) or vinyl...
    These guys are literally using exacto knives or surgical knives mm away from panels and sometimes if not -scoring- directly with film on paint...

YMMV and I can't say this for the entire wrap industry but it's not uncommon IMO to remove PPF on new car/new paint that has been cut with a knife years later as well....

A reputable installer while scoring may know he has -cut- into the paint while scoring and will own up to it....rare, but sh## happens with installs involving a knife...Comes with the territory. THAT is why PPF is so expensive. Some of these costs are built in, or the fact they may need rewrap a entire panel again, etc.

If you are referring to the -white- on the sensor, which I see a smidge in the pic, why not just remove the sensor from bumper and have it touched up as such.
    If you're talking paint on panel - not a whole lotta options. Whether you end up touching up or repaint, you want to make sure it's cured before you PPF it...

3. Likes Icarus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer....you go to do the right thing and this happens.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s a reputable and shop that’s been around awhile, I’d take him up on touch up. Keep most of the OEM paint.

Have him note it and it ever falters then have redone or repaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Here is the thing with anything film related - whether it be PPF (which is much thicker to -score-) or vinyl...
    These guys are literally using exacto knives or surgical knives mm away from panels and sometimes if not -scoring- directly with film on paint...

YMMV and I can't say this for the entire wrap industry but it's not uncommon IMO to remove PPF on new car/new paint that has been cut with a knife years later as well....

A reputable installer while scoring may know he has -cut- into the paint while scoring and will own up to it....rare, but sh## happens with installs involving a knife...Comes with the territory. THAT is why PPF is so expensive. Some of these costs are built in, or the fact they may need rewrap a entire panel again, etc.

If you are referring to the -white- on the sensor, which I see a smidge in the pic, why not just remove the sensor from bumper and have it touched up as such.
    If you're talking paint on panel - not a whole lotta options. Whether you end up touching up or repaint, you want to make sure it's cured before you PPF it...
    Yeah I'd be thrilled if it was just the sensors that were damaged, but no they actually cut the paint on the inner ring of the bumper that surrounds the sensor. You can see the black towards the lower portion of the "circle".

Post Thanks / Like

How can something like this happen on a brand new car? Is this extremely rare or fairly common when installing PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Blink -

I would just do the touch up route, with multiple small touch ups till it fills. Then the obvious of leveling, clear coat, spot sand and spot polish...
    More harm can come with PPF removal *it's fresh*, but adhesive might need removal, which then = post polishing to deal with potential micro marring incurred due to adhesive removal.

I can see a small lift already on the top part of edge of the PDC sensor. Film is thick...a bit tricky to wrap a small curve. Hence the lift. That may get a smidge -bigger- as the film settles.

You will need to revisit the install in a month or 2 from now as the film cures and things move a bit....some edges may need to get attended too, etc.
    I would just to the touch up route and then on your follow up visit, make a final decision on how things are looking 1-2 months out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Blink -

I would just do the touch up route, with multiple small touch ups till it fills. Then the obvious of leveling, clear coat, spot sand and spot polish...
    More harm can come with PPF removal *it's fresh*, but adhesive might need removal, which then = post polishing to deal with potential micro marring incurred due to adhesive removal.

I can see a small lift already on the top part of edge of the PDC sensor. Film is thick...a bit tricky to wrap a small curve. Hence the lift. That may get a smidge -bigger- as the film settles.

You will need to revisit the install in a month or 2 from now as the film cures and things move a bit....some edges may need to get attended too, etc.
    I would just to the touch up route and then on your follow up visit, make a final decision on how things are looking 1-2 months out.
    Thanks, I've given them the go ahead for this route. Their touchup guy is convinced that he can get it "perfect" so its worth a shot I suppose. I will keep you all updated!