autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exterior Trim protectant

Many of the posts on trim sealant are almost a year old, so I felt the need to post a question that is plaguing me.
    I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel. It is red red red!!! The black plastic trim on the hood....fender flares...bumper pads and bed rails....I have been coating with Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. I normally love their products...but when I apply this sealant..and then it rains..or if it's a dewey night...the protectant will run off the trim piece and streak the paint. It's VERY visible.

Is there a exterior trim sealant that won't wash off onto the paint leaving streaks? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exterior Trim protectant

Quote Originally Posted by chrt396 View Post
    Many of the posts on trim sealant are almost a year old, so I felt the need to post a question that is plaguing me.
    I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Rebel. It is red red red!!! The black plastic trim on the hood....fender flares...bumper pads and bed rails....I have been coating with Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. I normally love their products...but when I apply this sealant..and then it rains..or if it's a dewey night...the protectant will run off the trim piece and streak the paint. It's VERY visible.

Is there a exterior trim sealant that won't wash off onto the paint leaving streaks? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Really? I have been using WETS and McKee's plastic trim restore (I swear they are the same product) for years on my Ram, and have never experienced any "running".

Are you letting the product cure at least two hours before being exposed to the moisture?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

As paulMys said, I have been using WETS for a long time. Not once has it run onto the paint and left streaks. If you are letting it cure, you may be using too much product. A little goes a very long way. I use a foam applicator and apply 5-6 drops on a fresh pad. After initial “priming” of pad, 2-3 drops is all that is needed. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If the trim is not chalky but a lot type faded, Cerakote trim coating is an amazing product. Looked good for over 2 years…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Really odd. Used WETS in the past and never had issues. Same with McKess trim sealant. Now with the advent of spray coatings I no longer use trim products. My trim is almost 5 years old and still looks fresh.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I can't ever remember it raining after I get done. I dressed all the trim parts last night...and it had all last night and over 1/2 the day to cure....so we'll see if it runs and streaks. The worst parts are the hood plastic panels and the bed rails.

Now....should I be applying and then going back to buff it off? Or just apply and let it sit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrt396 View Post
    I can't ever remember it raining after I get done. I dressed all the trim parts last night...and it had all last night and over 1/2 the day to cure....so we'll see if it runs and streaks. The worst parts are the hood plastic panels and the bed rails.

Now....should I be applying and then going back to buff it off? Or just apply and let it sit?
    You should lightly wipe to remove any excess. Use the same side of the mf to remove..if you keep changing sides this will remove too much product.