autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Rotary Make a Comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Hardly possible to achieve the final result with the rotary only, in my view.
    I have no opinion that's why i'm going to give it a try. It's not my idea i picked it up off youtube just this year. It's en-vogue now on some channels...

2. Likes Danube liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will forever be blessed at stop lights seeing a rotary swirled car from a local carwash detailing promo.

4. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I have no opinion that's why i'm going to give it a try. It's not my idea i picked it up off youtube just this year. It's en-vogue now on some channels...
    Jeweling with a rotary is fun but it is definitely not easy and it's time consuming.

I jewel with Menzerna 3800 and a red buff and shine pad.
    I make a couple passes at around 900 rpms then a few more probably around 300 VERY light pressure passes.

You need to keep your hands, wrist and trigger finger nice and steady and smooth
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never in a million years would have believed what I'm about to say but......I've been experimenting with the rotary this year with very good results.

- rotary at 600rpm
    - rupes rotary waffle pads
    - pad dependent polish
    - blackfire and speed AIO
    - Lake Country pad washer

So far, I've had amazing results. The key is lowest rpm possible and washing the pad after each pass or so to avoid holograms but the newer style pad washer makes it a breeze.

My experience so far:
    - 2023 Yukon, Sterling Metallic - Owners' Pride (OP) polish and rupes fine waffle pad
    - 2018 Volvo S90 Bright Silver - OP polish and rupes fine waffle pad
    - 2019 Camry black - OP polish with MF cutting pad on 21" DA and finished with rotary using rupes ultra fine waffle pad ( I achieved a gloss similar to using Essence with a Carpro gloss pad)
    - 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black - Speed with rupes fine waffle pad
    - Favorite experiment so far - my friend needed a super quick cleanup before leaving town on his well kept 2018 Crimson red Yukon denali. After wash and clay, I zipped around the vehicle using Black Fire One Step and since the paint seemed on the harder side, rupes blue COARSE rotary waffle pad. I did two quick passes and my buddy followed me doing the wipe off. This was the quickest I had gotten around a large vehicle and he was very pleased with the results.

DISCLAIMER:
    - I'm an enthusiast with 14 yrs of experience, not a pro, so take the above with a grain of salt. I am not making any rotary claims other than the experiences listed above.
    - my post is not intended to start a DA vs Rotary conversation. I own five DA's
    - I found I liked the rotary because it's much easier on my aging body. Since no pressure is needed using this rotary technique and there is no pad stall, I can achieve great results in a shorter time frame with much less wear and tear on my body.
    - At my experience level, I would not even attempt to use a rotary if I did not have this pad washer
    - I have no desire to stop using my DA's but will continue to use both based on application
    - I did NOT do a panel strip after any of these experiments. However, I did pull each of the vehicles out into the bright AZ sun and saw no visible holograms. After several months I have not seen any appear.

8. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    I never in a million years would have believed what I'm about to say but......I've been experimenting with the rotary this year with very good results.

- rotary at 600rpm
    - rupes rotary waffle pads
    - pad dependent polish
    - blackfire and speed AIO
    - Lake Country pad washer

So far, I've had amazing results. The key is lowest rpm possible and washing the pad after each pass or so to avoid holograms but the newer style pad washer makes it a breeze.

My experience so far:
    - 2023 Yukon, Sterling Metallic - Owners' Pride (OP) polish and rupes fine waffle pad
    - 2018 Volvo S90 Bright Silver - OP polish and rupes fine waffle pad
    - 2019 Camry black - OP polish with MF cutting pad on 21" DA and finished with rotary using rupes ultra fine waffle pad ( I achieved a gloss similar to using Essence with a Carpro gloss pad)
    - 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black - Speed with rupes fine waffle pad
    - Favorite experiment so far - my friend needed a super quick cleanup before leaving town on his well kept 2018 Crimson red Yukon denali. After wash and clay, I zipped around the vehicle using Black Fire One Step and since the paint seemed on the harder side, rupes blue COARSE rotary waffle pad. I did two quick passes and my buddy followed me doing the wipe off. This was the quickest I had gotten around a large vehicle and he was very pleased with the results.

DISCLAIMER:
    - I'm an enthusiast with 14 yrs of experience, not a pro, so take the above with a grain of salt. I am not making any rotary claims other than the experiences listed above.
    - my post is not intended to start a DA vs Rotary conversation. I own five DA's
    - I found I liked the rotary because it's much easier on my aging body. Since no pressure is needed using this rotary technique and there is no pad stall, I can achieve great results in a shorter time frame with much less wear and tear on my body.
    - At my experience level, I would not even attempt to use a rotary if I did not have this pad washer
    - I have no desire to stop using my DA's but will continue to use both based on application
    - I did NOT do a panel strip after any of these experiments. However, I did pull each of the vehicles out into the bright AZ sun and saw no visible holograms. After several months I have not seen any appear.
    Sounds promising! The OP compound looks nice. The brand has a lot of appeal to me. Slick labels. I was going to order some stuff from them but shipping was ridiculous.

Can't wait to try my mini rotary with a 5 inch backing plate using the same rupes white waffle pad.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Jeweling with a rotary is fun but it is definitely not easy and it's time consuming.

I make a couple passes at around 900 rpms then a few more probably around 300 VERY light pressure passes.

You need to keep your hands, wrist and trigger finger nice and steady and smooth
    I'm not sure if it's technically jeweling. Whatever DIY is teaching on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    The OP compound looks nice. The brand has a lot of appeal to me.
    shipping was ridiculous.

Can't wait to try my mini rotary with a 5 inch backing plate using the same rupes white waffle pad.
    - compound seems to fall in the category of 3D One maybe?( which I've never used) All I know is it cuts very well and finishes down very well assuming you use correct pad. Long working time too with no dust

- no kidding on the shipping. The only way I stumbled on to them is they had a good deal on the pad washer so I bought the compound and Eco Wash to get free shipping. The Eco Wash is excellent so I need to figure out how to affordably resupply on that when it comes time. The compound will last me 10 yrs so don't have to worry about that for a while!

- Have fun on the mini rotary! remember to keep it at lowest rpm setting and clean the pad often.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    - compound seems to fall in the category of 3D One maybe?( which I've never used) All I know is it cuts very well and finishes down very well assuming you use correct pad. Long working time too with no dust

- no kidding on the shipping. The only way I stumbled on to them is they had a good deal on the pad washer so I bought the compound and Eco Wash to get free shipping. The Eco Wash is excellent so I need to figure out how to affordably resupply on that when it comes time. The compound will last me 10 yrs so don't have to worry about that for a while!

- Have fun on the mini rotary! remember to keep it at lowest rpm setting and clean the pad often.
    I have 2 rupes white waffles pads ordered that i will be trying with my rotary on speed 1. Excited to see how it goes!

OP's compound looks to be made by 3D car care, the bottles are nearly identical. But I'm sure its there own formula. So I'm betting it's a lot like 3D One. But it's all speculation.

The OP brand looks great. They have a great looking rinseless so that's where it all starts for me and the 16oz 3D One bottle is my favorite squeeze bottle out of all my polishes.

Since I started polishing i have always liked the idea of having just 1 correction/polishing liquid as well. So they tick a lot of boxes for me.

And a lot of there stuff is blue!

If the shipping was reasonable i would of gotten ecowash for sure - no free shipping(canada). I was looking hard at the OP compound too but i just have so many good polishes now...I blame it all on Eddie Colon hahahahaha

13. Likes Wknd Dtlr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post

I find Menzerna 3800 great for jeweling too. I've been using it since way back before the name change when it was 4000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Hardly possible to achieve the final result with the rotary only, in my view.
    Sorry for the dislike. I've not been to these forums for years. I accidentally hit the dislike and didn't know how to undo it so, I hit the like as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12