autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Dressings?

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Dressings?

So I was gonna do a write up on some dressings

DarkSide

Turtlewax Acrylic Graphene

Griots ceramic tire shine.

Had them on for about 10 day. 270 mile round trip to portland but cas sat for 4 days. Saw a day of rain.

I can say protection was still there but tires look were done. If I had to say one looked better I’d say the Griots looked a little better than DarkSide on both the Michelins and Conti’s. Not much though and both looked like the darkened the tire and maybe looked like clean rubber at best.

The TW looked streaky in both sides and definitely in third place which I suspected when applying. The other 2 felt more substantial.

The TW was easier to appy as the other two also felt tacky.

Used a MF applicator to apply.

I reapplied Griots and DarkSide. Over the TW too as it losing. Hopefully it was the long trip.

Don’t want to go back to coatings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tire Dressings?

Interesting. When I used the TW I had no issues. Lasted long and looked great. I used a flagged tipped brush to apply. I also have the Griots to try out some time in the future. Currently I am going thru my supply of DG #253. It may not last as long as the new ceramics, but I always loved the look.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Dressings are something I have not stayed up to date on. I still use CG VRP on my tires lol. A double-coat that gets to rest for awhile before seeing any rain seems to last a few washes. Nothing to write home about obviously.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using Duragloss 253 seems like forever and decided to try Car Pro's Darkside. Was not impressed as it wasn't the easiest dressing to apply and was a tad glossy for me.

Decided to give Darkside another go and this time I lightly wiped it down and it made all the difference. Still a little shiny, but will probably tone down after a few days. What I liked about Darkside, no pun intended, but it did darken the rubber.

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m hoping it was the trip to Portland. In sun no rain I usually get about 2 weeks with what I’m satisfactory with. I do like a tire to look dressed and tad glossy is OK.

Tires looked better than an undressed tire after trip but it was the streaks on the TWGA that had me add another coat.

I haven’t normally had that problem but only remember from summer use (no rain less TRF)

I used a mix of Tac Systems tirecoat mixed with PERL (2 sprays TSTC 1 spray Perl) on Falkens on mustang. May break it out next to test against DS or Griots.

Now I got way to much tire dressings Tire Dressings?

DI had the 16oz DS out of stock but showing in stock when I ordered. I don’t like how grabby it is but thought that would translate to durability.

8. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to try my satin fireball tire "coating" a week or so ago. I don't think it's a "coating". It's showing wear after just a week. But it did look really nice. I just applied a quick coat with an old black sponge.

One 16oz bottle will last a very longtime however. There should be a few dozen applications.

i have half a bottle of CG VRT too. Looks ok but not very robust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I finally got to try my satin fireball tire "coating" a week or so ago. I don't think it's a "coating". It's showing wear after just a week. But it did look really nice. I just applied a quick coat with an old black sponge.

One 16oz bottle will last a very longtime however. There should be a few dozen applications.
    Yeah I feel the same about Tacs tire Coat. Not a try coating. Wasn’t happy with durability.

Once I started treating like a dressing on Moms Rav4 to use up I was impressed with it.

Liked it on the mustang. The Conti’s and Michelins suck for dressings so everyone keep that in mind.

11. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah I feel the same about Tacs tire Coat. Not a try coating. Wasn’t happy with durability.

Once I started treating like a dressing on Moms Rav4 to use up I was impressed with it.

Liked it on the mustang. The Conti’s and Michelins suck for dressings so everyone keep that in mind.

It did look very nice. I was happy with it. Set the car off nicely.

It's probably a lot like tacsystems. I bought it due to apex's recommendation a long while ago - fireball.

I don't have much experience dressing tires frankly. Certainly an easy way to change the look of a car quickly.

I have to give a shoutout to the DIY videos. The guys make the process very simple - which i like.
    I don't find them so cringeworthy as some either. The girl from P&S really laid it on thick for the new defender in a video i seen last night. She looked great at least lol She was all dolled up. But frankly it turned me off from P&S again.

And, am I the only one that feels like the blonde from P&S can pass for remy doyle's daughter? lol

Post Thanks / Like

we have been using stoners trim shine for years and it works great. lasts for months under ideal conditions. weeks under not ideal conditions. Does not sling and gives the right amount of shine

Post Thanks / Like

i don't expect tire dressings to last a long time. if they last (gradually wear away as the car gets dirty) a few weeks till the next car wash, i'm okay with that. after the car gets washed i re-apply anyways...
    i am the jump starter.

15. Likes noorth, DFB, PA DETAILER liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast