autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How should I remove a bird bomb here?

My wife and I picked up a new 2023 Honda Civic Sport. I reminded my salesperson to NOT have the car washed under no circumstances. He took that to heart because when the car arrived at the dealer it was covered in bird bombs. After foaming, rinsing, re-foaming for a contact wash I was left with 7 etched bird places on the paint. I got all that removed but there is one on the headlight and the plastic below. I don't want to polish the new headlights and not sure how to safely remove it or from the plastic.

Any help is very much appreciated.

I tried uploading the image, but it failed.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How should I remove a bird bomb here?

Congratulations on the new car, but it sucks that it was covered in bird ####!

A detailer that has experience with this would be your best bet make sure they have insurance etc, it will need a lite polish to remove the etching, BUT not enough that it will take off the UV clear coat.

If this is the case invest in some PPF for the headlights to stop this happening again and rock chips etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Congratulations on the new car, but it sucks that it was covered in bird ####!

A detailer that has experience with this would be your best bet make sure they have insurance etc, it will need a lite polish to remove the etching, BUT not enough that it will take off the UV clear coat.

If this is the case invest in some PPF for the headlights to stop this happening again and rock chips etc.
    Thanks.

I was hoping to take care of this myself. I wasn't sure if there was something chemically I could use then use the power washer to remove most then scrub with a MF wash mitt.

If I had to light polish I'd do it by hand. I already had to do one by hand that was on the very edge of a panel and that worked well. Any polish you'd recommend? I have 3D One & 3D Speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car, sorry about those bird bombs.

What soap or quick detailers do you have? I would try working the trim first. If you have a rinsless wash or a quick detailer, saturate the area and get a damp microfiber and leave it on the stain to wet it. Then use aa damp microfiber and generous QD on trim and try to wipe off. If you have something like N914, id try it at panel prep dilution. Try to clean the trim using very light pressure.

Do you have any APC and trim/detailing brushes?

Lastly when this is resolved, try to coat all your black trim now to avoid it fading.

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 on a micro fiber towel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Congrats on the new car, sorry about those bird bombs.

What soap or quick detailers do you have? I would try working the trim first. If you have a rinsless wash or a quick detailer, saturate the area and get a damp microfiber and leave it on the stain to wet it. Then use aa damp microfiber and generous QD on trim and try to wipe off. If you have something like N914, id try it at panel prep dilution. Try to clean the trim using very light pressure.

Do you have any APC and trim/detailing brushes?

Lastly when this is resolved, try to coat all your black trim now to avoid it fading.
    I just ran out of quick detailer, but can at least grab some today.

I have a bottle of Super Clean. Would that be too harsh on the plastic or lights?

Thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    WD-40 on a micro fiber towel
    Thanks. I have that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    I just ran out of quick detailer, but can at least grab some today.

I have a bottle of Super Clean. Would that be too harsh on the plastic or lights?

Thanks for the tips
    A couple rules I always follow.
    1) Use the least aggressive method first and work up in order of aggressiveness.
    2) For trouble areas I work a small test area to see what combination works.

I'd fins the proper combo that works on the trim and then use on the headlights. Especially since lights are more "fragile"

I haven't used Superclean in a decade or so so don't recall, you may need to dilute, work in shade and ensure you rinse it off. I'd agitate with a soft non marring trim brush or microfiber towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    A couple rules I always follow.
    1) Use the least aggressive method first and work up in order of aggressiveness.
    2) For trouble areas I work a small test area to see what combination works.

I'd fins the proper combo that works on the trim and then use on the headlights. Especially since lights are more "fragile"

I haven't used Superclean in a decade or so so don't recall, you may need to dilute, work in shade and ensure you rinse it off. I'd agitate with a soft non marring trim brush or microfiber towel.
    Just got home from our Walmart Pickup and went in and grabbed the Sudslab Quick Detailer and TW Bug and Tar remover (just in case).

Two spritzed of the QD is all it took. Wiped off with the clean MF towel. Thanks for the help everyone.

10. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
    Just got home from our Walmart Pickup and went in and grabbed the Sudslab Quick Detailer and TW Bug and Tar remover (just in case).

Two spritzed of the QD is all it took. Wiped off with the clean MF towel. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Nice to get lucky once in awhile. Take a look at it in a week or so. I've had etching reappear.

12. Thanks kantonburg thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast