autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a "cheap" effective water filter

I searched the forum but I didn't see any recent threads so I'm starting my own.

We have very hard water provided by our city. I'm looking for something that will at least cut this mess back a little. A local detailer told me about an inline "RV" filter that I could put between the spigot and hose. I'd like something that isn't going to break the bank and doesn't require spending $xxx.xx every other month for new pellets or inserts. I'm only doing the family cars about once every other week so there's not a lot of high volume needed. I really need to address my water spotting problem, preferably before they appear and not having to buff or clean them all off after the fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a "cheap" effective water filter

I use the inline filter from Griots Garage. I don't know about "cheap" but it is an easy way to provide clean rinse water. I can get about 5 washes out of a filter until it changes from green to purple. I only use it during the final rinse since the filters can get expensive at $145 a piece. I also only use it when I have to wash the vehicles in the sun.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I only use it during the final rinse since the filters can get expensive at $145 a piece. I also only use it when I have to wash the vehicles in the sun.
    That's too rich for my blood. To clarify my position... I would expect something that would last 15 - 20 washes and filters/cartridges costing around $15. Am I dreaming?

Post Thanks / Like

This is what you are looking for:

Amazon.com

Durability is advertised to be around one month depending on how hard your water is. It won't give you "spot free" water but you will be less susceptible to spotting. I'd purchase a cheap TDS meter so you can take measurements and you will be able to tell when the filter is on its way out.

I used to attach it to the end of the hose that is opposite to the spigot and attach my nozzle directly to the filter. Then just remove it when I'm done so it won't be used for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the links!

Post Thanks / Like

I struggled with water spots. I have ZERO shade too. And a black vehicle that scratches if you sneeze on it.

In my experience the only real solutions were rinseless washes, wash before the sun is up (or after its down), wash on a very overcast day, or use a DI tank. I bought the DI tank. Its like I'm cheating. But pricey. My TDS measures 175. With a drinking water filter it was mostly unchanged.

For your requirements a hybrid rinseless approach worked well for me. Going one panel at a time - 1) gentle rinse panel with hose without spraying hard water on adjacent panels. 2) Wash the panel gary dean style. 3) dry off the panel. I would do the hood and roof last, otherwise hard water will end up all over the car. By doing the horizontal surfaces last, you have time to go dry it off before spots form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I use the inline filter from Griots Garage. I don't know about "cheap" but it is an easy way to provide clean rinse water. I can get about 5 washes out of a filter until it changes from green to purple. I only use it during the final rinse since the filters can get expensive at $145 a piece. I also only use it when I have to wash the vehicles in the sun.
    For that price I gotta think there $299 portable unit with refillable resin will be cheaper in the long run.

Portable Water Deionizer - Griot'''s Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    For that price I gotta think there $299 portable unit with refillable resin will be cheaper in the long run.

Portable Water Deionizer - Griot'''s Garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Per their numbers, that unit will treat 3.5 times more water than the inline filter. At 200 ppm TDS, you'd be on your 3rd replacement filter by the time you'd change out the resin on the larger unit. It would be nice if it was smaller and you could use just a portion of the replacement resin at a time tho.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using these De-Ionizers for almost 4 years now:

On The Go - Portable Water Softener