autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need APC Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Its good value for a 1 liter size and its a good amount of product for a DIYer, after a year I'm still close to 3/4's full. That's the main reason i bought it. When you get into gallons, prices change in regards of value.

It's strong however. Its a PH of 12.5 which is on the high end of APC's. Its a capable cleaner at just 10:1 or 10%/vol IE 100ml of greenstar in 1000ml bottle. Surfex is also very strong apparently.

And like i said it doesn't have a strong odor like some cheap APC's. Purple power, superclean etc
    thanks for the info. Safe to assume it's ok to use this on all surfaces, assuming it is diluted properly?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

It should be fine on most interiors at 20:1 just wipe it down with ONR/RW or a damp rag.

Post Thanks / Like

i have used the new GG citrus APC on tires with great results...

stretch your dollar out (very economical) with these dilution ratios (4:1, 10:1, 20:1) or anything within those...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    Was checking to see what the better APC's are these days. I don't go through a lot so a gallon lasts me a long time.

Is Optimum Power Clean still a good choice? I use to use Megs D103 and then it was cancelled. I've used Power Clean in the past with good results. Most recent APC has been McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity Plus. Seems ok but not sure how well it works on dirty tires or grungy areas.

I'm an enthusiast detailer so I have to live with my purchases for a while. I prefer to buy APC in a gallon for the value. There are just so many detailing products on the market now it gets overwhelming. I'm thinking of just going back to the old tried and true Optimum Power Clean unless someone can guide me in another direction of a product that is strong but still safe on most surfaces, and reasonably priced.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    I'm using Koch Green Star and Bilt Hamber Surfex.

Both are very strong in natural state. This means they can be heavily diluted to suit your needs, and also provide good value for money. I'm in a similar situation to you in that a bottle of APC will last me a long time. In that regard, a 1lt bottle of Green Star or Surfex will serve you for a long time.

Surfex is water based and can be diluted out to 200:1, but 100:1 is recommended for light cleaning, neat for maximum grease removal. I actually used Surfex to clean an greasy old chainsaw at 50/50 dilution, it smashed through the grease with ease.

Green Star can be diluted out to 30:1 if required, but 5:1 is recommended for heavy cleaning, 10:1 to 20:1 for interior work. I also like that it doesn't have a strong chemical odor.

You didn't state what you will be using APC for. I only use APC for exterior work, mainly engine bay cleaning. For interior work, I prefer a pH neutral cleaner compared to an alkaline APC, even if diluted appropriately. I have heard enough stores of APC turning interiors chalky white for me to look elsewhere. For interiors I use P&S Express, Koch Pol Star or ONR as these are safer to use on delicate interiors.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Need APC Recommendation

Many thanks to everyone who has responded. Looks like some very good choices out there and I appreciate the explanations on the various applications.

There were a couple of comments asking how I use APC's for my situations. This has evolved over the years learning from you guys. Basically, it's this way:
    -1. Strong with low dilutions - tires/wheels not regularly maintained, engine bays, etc...any area where lighter dilution won't remove like bad stain in a the carpet
    -2. Highly dilution - dirtier interiors, any application that my current RW won't clean. I use to maintain my interiors with APC, now all I need is either damp microfiber or RW dampened microfiber towel

I have this dilemma... I have vehicles that are coated and very well maintained so I don't need any big guns on a regular basis. To scratch my detailing itch, I will occasionally detail friends/family vehicles if I have the time. I love the transformation process by using various products and techniques and when I'm in that mode I like to make sure I have most everything I need to complete the detail. Over the years I've gotten much better at streamlining the the main products I need so my garage doesn't resemble a mini detailing distribution warehouse

Thanks again for everyone's input for an APC.

6. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Power Clean is my favorite thus far but suspect the Bilt Hamber will be once I am out of OPC.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12