autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle paint correction.....your thoughts.

Anybody ever do any paint correction and or ceramic coating to a motorcycle?

Ive been asked if i have any interest in doing one. Just paint correction and ceramic coating. All i know so far is that its a indian premiumMotorcycle paint correction.....your thoughts.. Im not a bike guy so wondering...are they a pain to do and or worth it?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle paint correction.....your thoughts.

I find them to be a pain in the ass and decline them.

Front fender (if removed) and tank are not bad but some of these full dresser bikes with hard bags, luggage racks, full stereos ect. are not worth it imo.

Long story short, I hate doing them
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle paint correction.....your thoughts.

Lance Mark does motorcycle detailing. I’d send him a message and see what he says. I recall him saying it took 60 hours to do his Harley.

Edit: found the post
    2017 Harley Davidson FLXHSE CVO Street Glide

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Yeah i had a hunch with all the stuff on those things it would suck to do.

I also rememebr now that thread lance did. Even 2black1s had one on his bike...25 hrs he said.

Obviously i wouldnt have as much time in since i dont have to do any cleaning or anything other than a paint wipedown b4 correcting. But still.

Im thinking its not something im interested in.

Im not setup with a machine small enough like a flex pixi to do a thourgh correction job

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some things to think about if you are detailing a bike for the first time...

First of all, you're going to need some patience. You know what a PITA it is polishing around the side mirrors, door handles, and the like on a car? Well, on a bike you are going to be dealing with many different areas that are similarly difficult. Without having some small 1-3 inch polisher(s), and even with those, be prepared for some hand polishing.

Next, the painted parts of the bike are only about half the job, maybe even less on some bikes. There are many more peripherals on a bike than a car... Frame, suspension components, engine/transmission, controls, etc.

And then the wheels/tires. Unless you have a way to get them off the ground so you can rotate them, you'll be swearing all the way through them as you roll the bike back and forth many times to gain full access.

All that said, detailing a bike can be enjoyable if you approach it with the correct state-of-mind. The progress is slow and tedious so prepare yourself mentally for that.

I'd say give it a shot... You might like it. And if you don't, you'll know not to take on your second.

Here's some links to a few bikes I've done...

After the Road Trip

2007 Victory Kingpin Detail

2002 HD Softail Deuce - Extreme Detail

6. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes opie, Lance Mark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i love bikes, and i love to detail bikes, but 2black1s has many much more experience, and has give me some great advice as I've learned what I've learned

I'm by no means trying to glorify bike detailing, but it's honestly not for everyone

think of some car stuff you've done....those wonky curved parts, or a nook where you know if you could just squeeze a machine of some sorts, you could correct it....then build an entire vehicle out of nothing but that kind of crap

2black1s is right on wheels, figure out how to lift it so you can rotate to clean, be ready to work, they are always filthy

cover what your not correcting, or spend time with detailing cotton swabs cleaning machine splatter out of nooks and crannies

what you will also find is that guys who love their bikes will love you for making them sparkle....very gratifying work and customer base in my opinion