autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)

All,

I will be doing a paint correction on a coworker's 1970s Pontiac Firebird. The paint is not original (was in an accident prior to him purchasing it in the early 1980s) and has severe defects.

To complicate matters, there are several patches where the black paint has worn and an (orange?) layer is exposed. He does not want to paint these areas and wants to keep it as 'patina'. Today he brought it to work again, and I noticed the outer edges of these patches (some of which are approximately 2" in diameter") are brittle such that I am concerned contact with a DA polisher could easily cause further damage.

Do you have any suggestions? My instinct is to apply automotive masking tape to these patches and avoid as much as possible, but I am wondering whether there are any better approaches to this problem.

Also, should I be masking off the Firebird artwork on the hood? It seems to be in decent shape, but I do not know if it is safe to polish over this area.

Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)

Amazing car!!! I will let the experts give you the guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)

Quote Originally Posted by Bornin1992 View Post
    All,

I will be doing a paint correction on a coworker's 1970s Pontiac Firebird. The paint is not original (was in an accident prior to him purchasing it in the early 1980s) and has severe defects.

To complicate matters, there are several patches where the black paint has worn and an (orange?) layer is exposed. He does not want to paint these areas and wants to keep it as 'patina'. Today he brought it to work again, and I noticed the outer edges of these patches (some of which are approximately 2" in diameter") are brittle such that I am concerned contact with a DA polisher could easily cause further damage.

Do you have any suggestions? My instinct is to apply automotive masking tape to these patches and avoid as much as possible, but I am wondering whether there are any better approaches to this problem.

Also, should I be masking off the Firebird artwork on the hood? It seems to be in decent shape, but I do not know if it is safe to polish over this area.

Thanks for your help!

I'll tell you what, I'd definitely use Mike Phillips inspection firm. You can find it here on the forum, unless you use one.
    Before you touch the car I would have him provide you the vehicle so you can do it in depth overview, mark all damage and trouble areas and photograph them.

Is it single stage paint? Also I'd insure once you put a machine to the paint, it doesn't start stripping and ripping paint off. Honestly I'd be worried of causing damage in him trying to sue or request compensation. Paint can also possible sometimes remove or damage flaking brittle paint.

I'd do the above and with his permission do a small test area ro see how paint reacts. Otherwise personally I'd pass. I'd get some photos and post here for the pros to assess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I'll tell you what, I'd definitely use Mike Phillips inspection firm. You can find it here on the forum, unless you use one.
    Before you touch the car I would have him provide you the vehicle so you can do it in depth overview, mark all damage and trouble areas and photograph them.

Is it single stage paint? Also I'd insure once you put a machine to the paint, it doesn't start stripping and ripping paint off. Honestly I'd be worried of causing damage in him trying to sue or request compensation. Paint can also possible sometimes remove or damage flaking brittle paint.

I'd do the above and with his permission do a small test area ro see how paint reacts. Otherwise personally I'd pass. I'd get some photos and post here for the pros to assess.
    Thanks for the information. In Canada, we are a lot less prone to suing such that I would not be worried about that happening, but it might nevertheless be worthwhile. I have attached a few photos, and I can take some more (hopefully tomorrow). These are just a sample of what a lot of the vehicle is like.

Also, I believe it is acryllic enamel.
    Paint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)-20230414_075711-jpgPaint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)-20230414_075722-jpgPaint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)-20230419_172800-jpgPaint correction on 197? Pontiac Firebird - Protecting Hood Artwork (Paint flaking)-20230419_172945-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but my guess would be once you start doing anything aggressive to that paint a whole lot of it is going to start peeling off. In your 4th pic you can see bubbles in the lower right corner. I wouldn't promise him anything. What does the rest of the car look like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Fan View Post
    I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but my guess would be once you start doing anything aggressive to that paint a whole lot of it is going to start peeling off. In your 4th pic you can see bubbles in the lower right corner. I wouldn't promise him anything. What does the rest of the car look like?
    He wasn't at work today and was hence unable to get more photos. But more or less the same condition...

Post Thanks / Like

I see a disaster...in the photos and one waiting to happen if you take a DA to that paint. The orange that you described is exposed primer...not 'patina'. If your friend likes that 'look'...all he has to do is be patient and that 'look' will overtake the vehicle. I would take a hard pass on that one, unless your friend were to sign some type of 'hold harmless' agreement.

Not for nothing....but I suspect the hood decal is an aftermarket 'Phoenix'.....it does not appear to be an original Trans Am decal. It is also not placed properly on the hood, and I'd question if it's an actual T/A or a Formula/regular Firebird made up to look like one.

8. Likes Honda Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ what he said ^^

After getting a night to sleep on it and looking at the pictures again I'm not sure any kind of detailing is going to help. And I agree about the hood decal. It didn't look right to me (I'm no expert) and after some research I can't find one that looks like that. Honestly, that thing doesn't need a detailing, it needs to be hosed off every couple of weeks and then drive it to dry it off. That is not "Patina", it is abused.