autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna try different pads on a G9/G8. SDO? Uro-Cell?

It’s that time of the year where I come out of hibernation, assess the damage from winter and devise a game plan.

I have a ton of salt on my F250 and some salt on the wife’s mustang. Last year I did a polish with 845 on her mustang and little maintenance on it. When I did the correcting, I used LC Flat orange pads. While it did an okay job, it still left some small stuff that I thought it should remove. So, I’m gonna try some new pads.

When I look in AGO, the only SDO pads I can find are blue heavy POLISHING pad and orange light CUTTING. For the SDO CCS it’s all polishing pads, no cutting. Blue, heavy, Orange, light, Black, finishing.

On the B&S Uro-Cell side, I can find a Blue Heavy cutting, Orange Polishing and red finishing.

I’m not looking for super heavy correction, just a medium correction or a touch heavier than the LC Flats I had. I used it with GG FCC compound. Maybe I needed a stronger compound?

Open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gonna try different pads on a G9/G8. SDO? Uro-Cell?

Quote Originally Posted by Brrr View Post
    I have a ton of salt on my F250 and some salt on the wife’s mustang. Last year I did a polish with 845 on her mustang and little maintenance on it.
    Are you trying to use 845 as a polish? It's a wax with no abrasives in it, so it won't get you very far if you are trying to do any correction. The pads will do a little work on their own, but you'll get a lot farther using a polish in combination with your pads and then going over the car to wax it with 845 once the polishing is done. 845 is good stuff...just not a polish.

As for pads, I really like using Rupes yellow's on my G15 polisher. The cut very similar to the Lake Country ThinPro whites; maybe just a touch more agressive. I like the shape of them and found the foam to be a bit more firm which, for me, makes them easier to use than my LC Flat and ThinPro pads. I still have a supply of LC pads on hand, but as my white pads wear out, I replace them with the Rupes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have removed some pretty nasty scratches with LC Flat Orange pads and Griot's FCC.

That being said, I work for a Ford dealer and all of the newer Mustangs I have seen have pretty damn hard clear coat.

I would try a more aggressive compound first, and a more corse pad second.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you trying to use 845 as a polish? It's a wax with no abrasives in it, so it won't get you very far if you are trying to do any correction. The pads will do a little work on their own, but you'll get a lot farther using a polish in combination with your pads and then going over the car to wax it with 845 once the polishing is done. 845 is good stuff...just not a polish.

As for pads, I really like using Rupes yellow's on my G15 polisher. The cut very similar to the Lake Country ThinPro whites; maybe just a touch more agressive. I like the shape of them and found the foam to be a bit more firm which, for me, makes them easier to use than my LC Flat and ThinPro pads. I still have a supply of LC pads on hand, but as my white pads wear out, I replace them with the Rupes.
    I used Griots Fast Correcting Cream for the compound, Perfecting Cream for the polish and 845 as the topper.

The G9 is a short throw 9mm. When I go to LC website it just basically shows the CCS pads and the SDO pads when filtering by DA. I was on the fence about Rupes, but I’ve read quite a few posts about people switching off them because they found them to stuff. May be worth a try to see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have removed some pretty nasty scratches with LC Flat Orange pads and Griot's FCC.

That being said, I work for a Ford dealer and all of the newer Mustangs I have seen have pretty damn hard clear coat.

I would try a more aggressive compound first, and a more corse pad second.

What would be a more aggressive compound than FCC? I thought about trying Sonax Cutmax or 3D 502 (or is it 525? Or is it 520? I don’t remember) i also have some 3D Speed, but I doubt it would cut more than FCC.

2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC is pretty aggressive i would bump up the pad to a microfiber. Uro 50/50 maybe. I also would just spot correct the worst spots.

6. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    FFC is pretty aggressive i would bump up the pad to a microfiber. Uro 50/50 maybe. I also would just spot correct the worst spots.
    Yeah, I’m not gonna aggressively cut the whole car, just the tougher spots. Going to get it ready to put pure evo and can coat on it. Guess I’ll order a couple of MF pads and try them out. Appreciate it.

2010 GMC Acadia 3.6