autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: rock chips

Post Thanks / Like

rock chips

we live in Florida and travel to Disney for day trips. the highway is full of rocks from construction. the Audi I generally drive to Disney has a few rock chips and under 5k miles. I am considering PPF but kind of defeats the purpose not getting it from the get go and I prefer the look of paint without PPF.

is there any temporary protection/ppf/bra that can be used for the trip that does not cause worse damages than rock chips? My trip cars are either an Audi SQ5 or Jeep wrangler. Also love bug season is coming. Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rock chips

if left on for a few days can residue or paint damage?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rock chips

Track Armor is an equivelent product you can use. Not sure which is better since I've used Track Armor, but not the Xpel version. It too comes in a couple different widths.

I've also seen 3M has a spray on product which sprays on clear and you peel it off later. Never seen a review of it though, or researched it much.

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    if left on for a few days can residue or paint damage?
    I left Track Armor on for a couple days, but noticed the longer it was on the more residue it leaves behind. When I've used it for a single day autocross event, it comes off no problem. When I used it once on a road trip, I had some gooey residue after 2~3 days, but not a lot and it was easily removed.

Regardless of whether you use Track Armor or Tracwrap, the biggest thing to look out for is ensuring the edges are stuck down nice and flat and you don't have any loose edges/seams. When I used Track Armor I had some edges which weren't flat/smooth and a couple that wrapped around the panel rather than simply stopping at the edge. This led them to come loose over time and start to flap. The flapping against the paint actually left some light marring I had to polish out later. Had I taken my time and put a little more effort into it I wouldn't have had any issues. My mistake was thinking I could just slap it on an go...nope. It takes a deliberate effort.
    Last edited by Desertnate; 03-20-2023 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Corrected errors/grammer
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post