autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping Steering Wheel as Clean as Possible

It depends on the steering wheel material. If it is a classic car with a thermoplastic steering wheel, then a diluted APC with multiple microfiber towels and a lot of hard work will get it clean. If it is a leather wrapped steering wheel, then a leather or interior cleaner and a Sonax brush will work. I like Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel.
    If it is a standard molded plastic steering wheel, then an APC for the thorough cleaning and then treat it with an interior protectant like 303. For routine cleanings I will use Meguiars Quick Interior detailer.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

2. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m a little gun shy with the scrub ninja on a leather wheel. Granted, my wheels got 290k (miles, not km) on it, but there was a spot where I could tell it lifted the dye (grey wheel, not black). Wasn’t going crazy either.

I just stick to microfiber wipe downs with an interior detailer (I like the Griot’s) as it’s worked well for me and has never left the wheel feeling “off”. (Have used other product in the past, don’t remember what specifically, but it ended up leaving the wheel sticky then I had to chase after it to get it normal again).

4. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I’m a little gun shy with the scrub ninja on a leather wheel. Granted, my wheels got 290k (miles, not km) on it, but there was a spot where I could tell it lifted the dye (grey wheel, not black). Wasn’t going crazy either.
    I've had a subtle (u need to look for it OCD type) with experience using steamer on all things interior . This slight color shift was on a vinyl area not easily seen...
    Since that event, I don't even use my Dupray for interior stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    P&S express cut 1:1 with low gsm MF towel. Scrub ninja for a deep down clean couple times a year.

If you think your wheel is clean, hit it with a scrub ninja. You’ll be surprised of what it pulls up.
    What Coatings said. I cleaned a few steering wheels with towels and brushes and they seemed clean. Then I used a Scrub Ninja (or CarPro glove DFB showed) with P&S Express (1:1) and I was surprised how much extra dirt the Scrub Ninja pulled out of multiple steering wheels. Amazing.

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought Duragloss 441 & 221, leather shampoo and leather conditioner many years ago when I had leather seats, steering wheel, and gear shifter in my last car. Cleans very well and the conditioner seemed to keep it all looking good. It has a long shelf life too, I've had them for 10 years now, and they're still liquid with no separation. I use it on my Mum's Qashqai, and she has a habit of using hand cream just before she goes for a drive, so every couple of weeks there's an icky coating needing removal, and this stuff works well.

On my FJ, which only has a leather steering wheel, I use Meguiar's MC20306 Motorcycle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, which I've had even longer than the Duragloss stuff. Because it's designed for motorcycle seats, it's very durable, and is also a non-stop formula, which is very important for steering wheels. I apply this by hand, recommended where I bought it, squirt a bit on the surface, then rub it in with my bare hands, if someone sees you rubbing away, just give them a wink.

I have also tested Meguiar's Hyper Dressing on a leather steering wheel cover I sometimes use, looked good, but made it too slippery for my liking.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nextzett Cockpit Premium is my go-to. Matte and not slippery.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123