autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you could only choose one complete “system”?

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I’m not a business so I don’t know or really care about any commercial coatings. Not so much charging but we know how long it takes to do the job right, which is polishing, prep, and coating. That is a lot of time and effort. So even without an upcharge, the labor will be, what, 10+ times more than the cost of 30/50ml of CQuartz 3.0 for example. It is just easier not having the customer know what the price is of the coating so that they don’t do any mental math on what is product vs labor. I’d still be able to show the value but it would be easier if there was some ambiguity there. Not saying trying to hide it but we know $1,000 MIGHT be a reasonable price for polishing and coating but if the customer sees the coating is $75, that is a different thought than not knowing the true price of a professional-only coating. Just marketing and perceptions involved.
    Understandable. And i wash honestly just curious on the pro coating question. I dont know much aboit what good brand of pro coating there are out there.

Personally i have no problems tellin ppl i do work for what it all costs if they ask. If they dont like my price for whatever reason, then im ok with them saying no.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Likes dgage, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Understandable. And i wash honestly just curious on the pro coating question. I dont know much aboit what good brand of pro coating there are out there.

Personally i have no problems tellin ppl i do work for what it all costs if they ask. If they dont like my price for whatever reason, then im ok with them saying no.
    And we definitely see someone like TTQ B4U using consumer coatings and does very well I’m sure but I’m not sure if he is a full or part-time detailer but a business regardless. So there are definitely some that use consumer coatings and people still see the value as you suggest. But we also know the people that regularly post on AGO are some of the best detailers in the biz or not biz.

Another part of my thoughts on professional coatings is that something like CarPro Finest Reserve or the new DQuartz are likely better than their consumer counterparts. Eventually that technology will filter down to consumers but they’ll have to make them a little easier to apply in a variety of conditions first.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna go against the grain and say 3D; they're my benchmark brand that I always fall back to when I get tired of trying new things. I've had a good experience with all of their products sans a stinky bottle of Super Soap that still performed fine, but scent was off. I haven't tried their coating. I could honestly could probably fill 99% of my detailing needs with like 10 or less of their products.

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NU-FINISH for the WIN!!!!

It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Gonna go against the grain and say 3D; they're my benchmark brand that I always fall back to when I get tired of trying new things. I've had a good experience with all of their products sans a stinky bottle of Super Soap that still performed fine, but scent was off. I haven't tried their coating. I could honestly could probably fill 99% of my detailing needs with like 10 or less of their products.
    In the end, we all like what we like, and something as simple as a scent can turn you off. I've been gifted products in the past because others didn't like the scent, and I actually like them.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

8. Likes PaulMys, DFB, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    You'll probably need a whole new garage to fit the entire Meguiar's line!

This is something I have thought about a lot lately. To be frank, I think the likes of Meguiar's, Mothers, Turtle Wax ect have missed the boat and would really struggle to sell a proper ceramic line. This is not because they wouldn't make a great product, just that it would be very hard for those brands to sell premium products to both the enthusiast and professional user.

Firstly, at a retail level, I don't believe Meguiar's could put a ceramic coating on the shelf at a big-box retailer. Using a wax is very different to using a ceramic coating, so selling something like this to the occasional user could get quite messy for Meguiar's. Then when you think about the enthusiast consumer, we tend to look elsewhere for ceramic coatings...........mostly based on brand image to be completely honest.

So, Meguiar's are then left to sell this as a professional product, and again, brand image and marketability comes into question. Does a pro want to offer their customers a Meguiar's coating or will they better be able to "sell" a Gtechniq, Gyeon or Carpro ect coating to a potential customer?

Finally, price. Meguiar's are seen as a value driven company. A ceramic coating is going to be priced accordingly and be fair way north of a traditional bottle of wax. That's going to be a hard hurdle for them to overcome. Brand perceptions are hard to change. Meguiar's have previous grievance in this arena, their Hybrid Paint Coating is a hard sell at its price point over and above a bottle of wax sitting on the same shelf for a fraction of the price.

This is in no way dissing Meguiar's, they make good products at good prices. I do however think it's probably best they stay in their lane.
    Ya, this is a really good point. I kinda expected them to launch a professional line to compliment their other professional products, but as you said the big names are already there and most owners will happily use Meg’s for prep and then too with a fancy sounding exotic coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Meguiar's now under the 3D tent? Then Meguiar's is mostly the consumer line and 3D the 'business' line shall we say?? I don't think I have ever seen a 3D detail product on the shelf of a big walkin store? So they have a nice footprint in both segments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Isn't Meguiar's now under the 3D tent? Then Meguiar's is mostly the consumer line and 3D the 'business' line shall we say?? I don't think I have ever seen a 3D detail product on the shelf of a big walkin store? So they have a nice footprint in both segments.
    I believe Mequiars is owned by 3M not 3D

12. Likes noorth, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    I believe Mequiars is owned by 3M not 3D
    Ahhh, I knew it was one of the "3's".

Post Thanks / Like

Just getting back into detailing so I haven’t had the chance to use any products, but after hours and hours of research it seems like Carpro will be my go to. I’m also going to give Koch Chemie and Gyeon a try.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast