autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easiest way to prevent clear coat failure on older DD in Florida weather 24/7?

Park in a garage or a carport.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easiest way to prevent clear coat failure on older DD in Florida weather 24/7?

Meguiars #7 is supposed to “feed” the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Meguiars #7 is supposed to “feed” the paint.
    That works on old single stage paint. I doubt that #7 is going to work as well on clearcoat.

4. Thanks John U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I live in Central FL too and if I had a DD outside like that I would religiously wash it.IMO once a month isn’t frequent enough.

I’d also invest in getting it coated for optimum UV protection. No need to polish it unless there are defects in the paint and the majority of defects come from improper washing techniques so I would learn correct methods for washing. The coating is what is going to help save the paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Not as good as a coating, but OCW has patented UV protection in an easy to use spray wax. Easiest way to prevent clear coat failure on older DD in Florida weather 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If I used this as a drying aid after a car wash bi weekly would it give sufficient protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I live in Central FL too and if I had a DD outside like that I would religiously wash it.IMO once a month isn’t frequent enough.

I’d also invest in getting it coated for optimum UV protection. No need to polish it unless there are defects in the paint and the majority of defects come from improper washing techniques so I would learn correct methods for washing. The coating is what is going to help save the paint.
    What coating would you recommend and how long would it last? Could I get away with just claying the car prior to coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Could I get away with just claying the car prior to coating?
    Certainly.

8. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I used this as a drying aid after a car wash bi weekly would it give sufficient protection?
    It would be way better than using nothing.

And I wouldn't use it as a drying aid. Just use it as intended.

I applied a spray-wax to my full-sized Ram just last night after a quick wash, and it took all of 10 minutes.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes jem7sk, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    It would be way better than using nothing.

And I wouldn't use it as a drying aid. Just use it as intended.

I applied a spray-wax to my full-sized Ram just last night after a quick wash, and it took all of 10 minutes.
    I'd be curious to know what you used and how long it lasts? This might be the way to go for me.. that is quick. I saw a recent video from a diy detail supply business on YT with the former guy from Optimum Car Care.. where they used their sealant as a lube for their clay mitt and clayed and sealed at the same time.. I might have to give that a go when it is time to clay.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be curious to know what you used and how long it lasts?
    Personally given how much or how little time rather, that you want to allot yourself for cleaning your car. Given all your info i would skip a wax. In my experience, wax only lasts MAYBE 1.5 months. And thats with normal weekly washes.

You only doing it once a month sounds like you should ceramic coat your car.

But with what little time you want to give to it, i would atleast go with a spray sealant. If you want to go cheaper try out 3D bead it up. It is so dang easy to use, and can be had for 35 bucks a gallon. Can be used on everything.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

13. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be curious to know what you used and how long it lasts? This might be the way to go for me.. that is quick. I saw a recent video from a diy detail supply business on YT with the former guy from Optimum Car Care.. where they used their sealant as a lube for their clay mitt and clayed and sealed at the same time.. I might have to give that a go when it is time to clay.
    I used DuraGloss Aqua Wax. That was just to top off the Collinite 476S that I applied in late October. (It is still working great)

I didn't mention its name because I just wanted to give you an idea of how quickly a spray wax can be applied.

And the spray waxes only last about 2 weeks. (For me).

As others have said, a coating or lite coating might be right for you, but in the meantime, something like OCW would definitely be better than nothing at all......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes jem7sk liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast