autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about CarPro Essence

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This is what I do with my pads. I started with a towel, and finally broke down and bought a brush last year. The brush is so much easier!
    I went through the same exact scenario… I’ve had a proper pad brush for years now, but initially it took me a good long while before I could justify spending the $14 dollars or whatever it is on that brush. It’s funny the little things we decide to cheap out on isn’t it? Lol.

I came up with the brilliant idea [sarcasm] of thinking I could get away with paying half the price and used a Tuff Shine Tire Brush to clean pads for a while. Except I didn’t actually buy a real Tuff Shine brush but instead bought the identical brush with the stiffer bristles because I found it locally, and while it did the job, the user experience sucked because it felt like I was borderline killing my pads everytime I cleaned them during a detail. Lol. [the price I paid for being stupid]Questions about CarPro Essence

Once I finally paid the price for the proper brush you realize it’s 1 of the most important tools you can’t afford to be without. There’s a good reason they cost what they do, because it’s the only brush that’s perfect for doing what it does.Questions about CarPro Essence

Moral of the story: Don’t be El Cheapo when it comes to certain things, like tools.

2. Likes opie, Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about CarPro Essence

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I went through the same exact scenario… I’ve had a proper pad brush for years now, but initially it took me a good long while before I could justify spending the $14 dollars or whatever it is on that brush. It’s funny the little things we decide to cheap out on isn’t it? Lol.

I came up with the brilliant idea [sarcasm] of thinking I could get away with paying half the price and used a Tuff Shine Tire Brush to clean pads for a while. Except I didn’t actually buy a real Tuff Shine brush but instead bought the identical brush with the stiffer bristles because I found it locally, and while it did the job, the user experience sucked because it felt like I was borderline killing my pads everytime I cleaned them during a detail. Lol. [the price I paid for being stupid]Questions about CarPro Essence

Once I finally paid the price for the proper brush you realize it’s 1 of the most important tools you can’t afford to be without. There’s a good reason they cost what they do, because it’s the only brush that’s perfect for doing what it does.Questions about CarPro Essence

Moral of the story: Don’t be El Cheapo when it comes to certain things, like tools.
    I used a mf towel for a while until me elcheapo bought a brush...but honestly dont really use it since i have so many damn pads i swap out to a new one lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

4. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astrophora View Post
    Greetings.

Once the weather warms up I plan on using CarPro Essence prior to CQuartz 3.0 on my silver-ish Mazda 3. The paint is in fairly good condition, but there is definitely micro-marring thanks to the dealership as well as some minor water etching thanks to my own negligence. However, both defects are near invisible, I only just now noticed them because the sun finally coming out (I knew about the water spots but I was hoping they were only deposits - sadly they are etched).

First question, will Essence alone on a yellow BOSS pad be enough to remove the micro-marring and water etching? Second, about how many pads will I need for Essence and would I need to clean on the fly or is it not required with this product? Not trying to skimp out on pads, just trying to plan ahead.

Lastly I want to thank everyone here, this site has been an absolute blessing to me. I adore my car and I'm trying my best to keep it in the best condition possible. It would not be possible without the help provided by all of you. Thank you, truly.
    One thing i would recommend is to use a waterspot remover on those water spot/etched areas to remove the mineral deposit prior to polishing. You may need a compound to remove them.

Don't expect a lot of cut from Essence as it is a fine finishing polish. The paint hardness is going to play into the amount of defect removal. You will have to do a test spot to see if it will work. The good thing is the paint is silver so it does a good job of hiding defects.

As far as the number of pads here is an old thread from Mike that is a good reference point. And yes to cleaning the pad on the fly.

How many pads do I need to buff out my car?

One last recommendation and that is to panel wipe with Eraser prior to applying the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    A simple way to clean pads that I've seen Yvan Lacroix demo recently is simply dip the pad in a rinseless solution and spin dry. But honestly i have never tried.
    Essence gets weird when it comes into contact with water when polishing. Better to use it like a traditional polish.

6. Likes noorth, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I used a mf towel for a while until me elcheapo bought a brush...but honestly dont really use it since i have so many damn pads i swap out to a new one lol

I don’t expect to change any minds, but I happen to think that using a microfiber towel for cleaning on the fly works pretty terrible compared to cotton terry. Same thing with mopping up dirty carpets. I’ve never had a good experience trying to use microfiber towels for that.

I realize I’m in the minority, but I’m ok with that.Questions about CarPro Essence

8. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t expect to change any minds, but I happen to think that using a microfiber towel for cleaning on the fly works pretty terrible compared to cotton terry. Same thing with mopping up dirty carpets. I’ve never had a good experience trying to use microfiber towels for that.

I realize I’m in the minority, but I’m ok with that.Questions about CarPro Essence
    Nah all good, mf is what i had available at the time of doing the work. Never tried the terry towel on pads. Hell the last time i can even rememeber using a mf towel on a pad was on a mf pad lol...which was years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    One thing i would recommend is to use a waterspot remover on those water spot/etched areas to remove the mineral deposit prior to polishing. You may need a compound to remove them.
    How well does waterspot remover work? Never tried it. I have some on the roof of the wifes jeep which is coated with pure evo. Its black...and well the sun popped out and did me dirty last fall. Was going to try descale this spring when i decon it.

Post Thanks / Like

How well does waterspot remover work? Never tried it. I have some on the roof of the wifes jeep which is coated with pure evo. Its black...and well the sun popped out and did me dirty last fall. Was going to try descale this spring when i decon it.

How well a water-spot remover works will come down to a variety of factors; how long has it been there, the minerals that caused the spot, paint quality, even ambient or panel temperature when the spot formed, and on the day of attempted removal.

I always treat water-spot removers as an available option, but not the only option. If you are lucky and the product works, great, its saved me having to polish them out. If it doesn't, then at least you tried the less aggressive option first.

That concept applies to Descale too, just without the targeted and more concentrated ability of a dedicated water-spot remover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    How well a water-spot remover works will come down to a variety of factors; how long has it been there, the minerals that caused the spot, paint quality, even ambient or panel temperature when the spot formed, and on the day of attempted removal.

I always treat water-spot removers as an available option, but not the only option. If you are lucky and the product works, great, its saved me having to polish them out. If it doesn't, then at least you tried the less aggressive option first.

That concept applies to Descale too, just without the targeted and more concentrated ability of a dedicated water-spot remover.
    Copy that, i wont be polishing them out if the dont come off thats for sure, the coating is not even a year old yet. I only notice them when i am drying a wet panel, once its dry they are not visable

Post Thanks / Like

Copy that, i wont be polishing them out if the dont come off thats for sure, the coating is not even a year old yet. I only notice them when i am drying a wet panel, once its dry they are not visable

I may be wrong but I think Guz meant to use even if your polishing to remove mineral deposits before hand. Hopefully works on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I may be wrong but I think Guz meant to use even if your polishing to remove mineral deposits before hand. Hopefully works on its own.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be the best option - use it to at least soften up the mineral deposits (pre-polish).

Essence does handle light defects using a heavy cut pad - I like to pair it with Buff & Shine URO Fiber pads. Then if I have spots that need extra cleanup I'll go over them with another Uro Fiber pad + supercut. Then another pass with Essence.....

Also don't forget to wipe down the entire car with Eraser pre LSP application

Edit: Ohh and the orange pad brush works great on Uro Fiber Pads for on the fly cleaning!

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12