autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating vs. Si02 rinseless washes

Something I`ve been thinking about lately and I`m probably way off base here, but I am curious what others think. Let me preface this by saying I`m not necessarily a ceramic coating fan. I haven`t had the best experiences and I don`t enjoy the process of application and removal. I did apply one to my current vehicle, and it`s been fine but there are things I do not like about it. Namely, susceptibility to water spotting and bird bomb etching.

I maintain the coating with weekly rinseless washes as my car just doesn`t get that dirty. I drive it around town, to and from work, etc. My wife`s family wagon is used for vacations and stuff.

So, my question is this... what is the benefit of applying a high solids ceramic coating to a vehicle vs. just using a weekly wash with something like Wolfgang Uber Si02 without the ceramic coating base. Obviously the Si02 content is going to be higher in a ceramic coating. Okay, I get that. But what functional improvement/advantage does that provide over a weekly wash/application of Si02 with something like the Uber? Wouldn`t the amount of ceramic protection in the Uber be enough to get you from week to week and last indefinitely? In other words, you should never "run out of protection" with this method. Too antectodal/subjective to know? Maybe.

I will say that my car looks its best (most gloss/reflection) right after a wash with Uber so to me, the nod goes to the frequent rinseless for appearance, too.

Anybody care to chime in?

Side note-- I have often wondered if the Si02 left behind by a ceramic rinseless wash would offer more, less or equal protection to a traditional paint sealant. Yeah, I know, the only way to know is to test. I don`t have the time or patience for that these days. I just want somebody to tell me

2. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating vs. Si02 rinseless washes

It's the same as a good wax versus a detailer. You get a lot more of the good protection stuff in the base ceramic than a rinse less wash with ceramic.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    It's the same as a good wax versus a detailer. You get a lot more of the good protection stuff in the base ceramic than a rinse less wash with ceramic.
    So are we sure there's not enough of the good stuff left behind with the Si02 rinseless wash to offer sufficient protection from the elements for a week? I get that it's watered down, but we're not talking about a spray wax. Shouldn't it still offer some robust protection? Or is the level of Si02 in Uber just there to provide gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question. Coatings are no doubt superior from a chemical perspective. They're more durable, have great hydrophobics for self-cleaning. I think the main advantage of a coating is more or less durability. If you're applying a sealant every other wash or so, you will have protection and great hydrophobic properties. Daily drivers will destroy the best coatings in 3 years in most cases. There may be some protection still hanging on but it's pretty weak at that point. With that said, routine washes with something that will leave some protection behind or applying a sealant ever month or so is not a bad practice. You'd still end up with a great looking car that has solid protection. I have had Can Coat on my truck for almost 10 months now. Still looks great, still beads well. However, I could have achieved the same "look" and "hydrophobics" (not as good as coating) using a sealant every so often. To me coatings are just more durable.

I think one of the most important to practice, if not the most important, is to have a good washing system down. Don't go to the car wash, use a two-bucket method or multiple wash mitts/towels to avoid scratches and you'll be in good shape.

6. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Uber SiO2 Rinseless and it definitely leaves something nice behind but besides it’s cleaning ability being mild, the protection it leaves is fleeting (a week or so) and not as durable. It works much better as a topper for a coating, either true or CanCoat. For simple and quick, CanCoat with Uber SiO2 Rinseless and N-914/Reset for when the vehicle is more dirty would be a fantastic combo.

8. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it’s supposed to do I think Can Coat is tough to beat. The new Can Coat Evo is capable of lasting a good year. On a clean car application should take an hour or so.

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating vs. Si02 rinseless washes

You said your car never really gets that dirty? Maybe get it be that the coating is keeping your car from getting really dirty?

You said your car looks best after a Sio2 rinseless. Might it be that the low content sio2 Wash could be exposing the high gloss high solids coating you applied?

Pretty sure your getting more protection from the sealant aspect of the rinseless.

It is not leaving much sio2 behind.

If your not a coatings guy that’s all well and good but I wouldn’t rely on a rinsless that leaves very little protection behind as your LSP. I would use a spray sealant (sio2 or otherwise) every month or to one tandem with your Rinseless.

Nothing will self clean as good as a high solids coating tho…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    It's a good question. Coatings are no doubt superior from a chemical perspective. They're more durable, have great hydrophobics for self-cleaning. I think the main advantage of a coating is more or less durability.
    This is the biggest difference right here. The high-solids coating is in a completely different league when it comes to durability. I wouldn't trust my vehicles to the life of a daily driver with only a SiO2 infused rinselss wash to protect it. No way the tiny bit of protective product in the rinseless would stand up to bug guts, bird droppings or even salt during the winter.

A coatings durability is often measured in years. Anything in a wash product is likely measured in days, at best, and really just for appearances.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog