autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing my black 2018 Acura RDX - seeking advice.

pics show up now

2. Likes theTown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forty View Post
    IMO, your process and tools should not be leaving micro marring. What towels are you using for polish residue wipe off? Is wipe off easy (1-2 passes) or more challenging?
    Rag Company spectrum 420 and some AG freebies I got with an order. I'd say more challenging, almost like the polish oil was smearing around which is why I added the IPA to help cut through it.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If you posted pics, they are not on there.

Also why are you doing an ipa wipe? Its a terrible lubricatant. That could be the source of marring

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Hoping pics are showing now. I read it recommended somewhere. I will stop doing this and see if results improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yes agreed with IPA get something like mentioned before a dedicated prep wipe. Also agreed perfecting cream and a finishing pad will do nothing to remove swirl marks and rids.

Your car is 4-5 years old unless it’s garaged and has less then 4,000 miles on it and never seen a tunnel wash and hand washed with the best products with perfect technique your car has some to a lot of defects.

I think you are polishing to a nice shine which is making defects more evident.

If you have correcting cream and other pads I would try perfecting cream with yellow boss pad and then correcting cream with the black, then correcting with yellow.

If need more aggressive correcting with orange boss. You shouldn’t need fast correcting cream.

Also yes your pictures are not showing up. Download TapaTalk, it’s a Forum hosting site and you can post pics directly from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pics should be loaded to show before and after. Will stop the IPA wipe. I do have correcting cream and an orange pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You would've gotten better results if you had used a stiffer pad. I would also recommend bumping the speed up to 5, apply moderate pressure and then work in small sections (3'x3')

I wouldn't bother with the IPA unless you're applying a coating
    Another vote for stiffer pad - Could give it a try with an orange pad.

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Make sure when you're applying polish to your pad you prime the very very outer edge of the pad and up the side a bit for that edge will make more contact when mild pressure is applied and it ABSOLUTLEY will cause micro maring on butter soft paint which your Acura does have.

Your process may be a touch aggressive and I would try giving the pad a couple sprays of water.

If that does not work try a wax pad like buff and shine red pad with Menzerna 3800 or Carpro Essence
    Great point and I already learned this the hard way haha! Your comment is interesting in that it differs from the opinions to try a stiffer pad. So the Acura paint is indeed extremely soft? The results definitely had me scratching my head.

Post Thanks / Like

As hard as an internet diagnosis is... Here's what I see.

The initial scratches appear to have been removed. The marring you are referring to looks like wiping streaks to me along with some tiny pits in the paint. The pits - probably nothing you can do to remove them. The streaks - repolish those areas using very little pressure and carefully remove the polish residues. See what that does.

You could even do a very light hand polish to those areas.

I don't see any indication of DA induced micro marring. Such marring is usually indicated by superficial pig tails in the finish, and I don't see any of those.

I'm not familiar with the polish you are using, but I would think the finest, least aggressive polish you have should do the trick. As for pads, I'd take a step up from the finishing pad you are using, as a starting point, and then experiment from there.

Like others have said, unless you are applying a coating, skip the IPA wipe (or any panel prep for that matter). If you are applying a wax or sealant there is absolutely no reason, or benefit, to using any panel prep wipe unless it is specifically recommended by the manufacturer.

And 98CayenneTAs recommendation to prime the pad edges is a good one... That is standard practice for me.

Good luck.

5. Likes theTown, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

98CayenneTA approach makes sense. Try it. Let us know how you make out.

7. Likes theTown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    As hard as an internet diagnosis is... Here's what I see.

The initial scratches appear to have been removed. The marring you are referring to looks like wiping streaks to me along with some tiny pits in the paint. The pits - probably nothing you can do to remove them. The streaks - repolish those areas using very little pressure and carefully remove the polish residues. See what that does.

You could even do a very light hand polish to those areas.

I don't see any indication of DA induced micro marring. Such marring is usually indicated by superficial pig tails in the finish, and I don't see any of those.

I'm not familiar with the polish you are using, but I would think the finest, least aggressive polish you have should do the trick. As for pads, I'd take a step up from the finishing pad you are using, as a starting point, and then experiment from there.

Like others have said, unless you are applying a coating, skip the IPA wipe (or any panel prep for that matter). If you are applying a wax or sealant there is absolutely no reason, or benefit, to using any panel prep wipe unless recommended by the manufacturer.

Good luck.
    Do you recommend a gentle dry wipe to remove the residue? How about a detail spray to help? I feel like if I sneeze this paint will scratch

Great tip about the light hand polish. Worth a shot. Also another vote for trying a step up from the finishing pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Forty View Post
    98CayenneTA approach makes sense. Try it. Let us know how you make out.
    Absolutely, I will be trying various suggestions from this board on new test panels and reporting the magic formula once I have time to get after it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theTown View Post
    Do you recommend a gentle dry wipe to remove the residue?
    Yes.

How about a detail spray to help?
    No.

If there is any "glazed" product remaining after your initial light wipe, rewet the area with your polish (by hand) and immediately wipe.

Very light streaks from polish residues, if any, aren't really that big of a concern at this point... Your wax or sealant application will most likely take care of that. Then as a very last step, following your wax or sealant, a quick detailer can help.

Great tip about the light hand polish. Worth a shot. Also another vote for trying a step up from the finishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recommend a gentle dry wipe to remove the residue? How about a detail spray to help? I feel like if I sneeze this paint will scratch
    You should not use anything to wipe off compound/polish residue but the towel.

Have you been doing otherwise?

Again, even if you were to apply a coating...my advice, do not use an ipa. There are so many good panel wipes out there that were made for that purpose.

Do a test spot with your polish and wipe with towel only pul outside and check for marring.
    Then report back.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off-topic, but somewhat related, the only issue that I have seen (typically) when inspecting a finished job in direct sunlight is maybe a streak or two that can be remedied with another wipe or a quick detailer, or the like.

As far as marring, or other correctable paint defects go, those are usually evident in the garage with adequate lighting.

And related to the recommendation to prime the pad edges which is something I always do; I also prefer pads that have a contoured edge (e.g. Rupes DA, Meguiar's Soft Buff) over those with a square edge like the Griot's. Pads with contoured edges are especially beneficial, in my opinion, when polishing into concave contours, of which there are many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    And related to the recommendation to prime the pad edges which is something I always do.
    Whats your thought behind it? I only give a fresh pad 4 pea or slighty larger sized dots, and 1 or2 on a reload. Ive found that to work well for me. So im curious

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Whats your thought behind it? I only give a fresh pad 4 pea or slighty larger sized dots, and 1 or2 on a reload. Ive found that to work well for me. So im curious

Here's my opinion... And it's just that... My opinion. I have no hard evidence either way, but it just seems to make sense to me.

Would you take a dry pad and run it on a perfectly polished black panel? Probably not. I know I wouldn't. But if I had a black test panel, I might try it to see the results. I'd expect some level of marring to occur.

Now, take that logic and apply it to your polishing. If the edge of your pad is dry and you're moving into a contour leading up to an edge, the dry edge of the pad might cause some marring in that contour.

That is why I prime the edge of the pad... To eliminate that possibility.

Make sense?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast