autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Problem cleaning "new" tires

My 2020 Pilot has been living in the garage since new (2 months) and hasn't been driven much at all, whatever coating the dealership put on the tires seems to be hanging in there. So yesterday I decided to do a wheel, wheel-well and tire cleaning and finally give the tires their first scrubbing.

I purchased some Tuf Shine tire cleaner (as seen here on AGO) and after a scrubbing with my tire brush and rinsing them off they were about 1/2 clean. Whatever was on there was fighting me. Also, under the coating the tires (Continental) still had the "brown bloom" all over the tire. Although the 2nd attempt seemed to remove all the "coating", a lot of the brown bloom was still there under the coating. I'm having a hard time imagining how they got like that while basically still being new?

Anyway, I'm going to hit them with a 3rd application, let it sit a bit longer and scrub a little harder. I also have about 1/2 a bottle full of Black Magic Bleche-White Tire Cleaner sitting on a shelf, would that cut it down any faster?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem cleaning "new" tires

Depending on the product used by the dealer, it will probably take repeated runs of the process you are already using.

Whether it's new tires for a car I already own, or a new car with gunk smeared on the tires by a dealer, I almost never touch them for a month or too. This lets nature take its course and break down what ever is on the tires and makes them much easier to clean/dress when I do the work. They may not look very nice for a little while, but it saves me a lot of work and frustration.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes chilly, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleech-White is a pretty stout tire cleaner, but I'd only use it if you have the cheapo stardard steel wheels. I've seen it cloud up the clear coat on aluminum wheels and even etch bare wheels. I usually have some of it around because it is such a good cleaner.. But you've got to protect the wheels.

If you can't get rid of the browning, try a final wipe with lacquer thinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Depending on the product used by the dealer, it will probably take repeated runs of the process you are already using.

Whether it's new tires for a car I already own, or a new car with gunk smeared on the tires by a dealer, I almost never touch them for a month or too. This lets nature take its course and break down what ever is on the tires and makes them much easier to clean/dress when I do the work. They may not look very nice for a little while, but it saves me a lot of work and frustration.
    That's pretty much what I figured. Some more elbow grease and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Bleech-White is a pretty stout tire cleaner, but I'd only use it if you have the cheapo stardard steel wheels. I've seen it cloud up the clear coat on aluminum wheels and even etch bare wheels. I usually have some of it around because it is such a good cleaner.. But you've got to protect the wheels.

Thanks. I was not going to hit them with the BW unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to damage these wheels at all. I leave that stuff for the other car, LOL. If after my 3rd attempt this morning if that doesn't help I'll possibly try the lacquer thinner suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

For stubborn dealer tire shine, I have read TARMANIATOR strips them clean. Or TW foaming wheel & tire cleaner is another very good product.

Stoner Tarminator removes bug residue, tar, tree sap, gum and more from automotive surfaces! bug & tar remover, auto spot cleaner, car bug & tar

Hybrid Solutions Hyper Foam Wheel Cleaner And Tire Prep
    2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Likes DFB, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Get yourself a set of these.

When cleaning tires I can get a clean white foam after several cleanings with the TufShine brush.

I hit it with the drill brush and will get some more browning.

I’m guessing dealer coating didn’t let tires off gas so I would wait another month or even to spring before I would re coat/dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have posted this before, but about three years ago I put a major detailing mfr new all tire coating that was new for them, and it was a mess, and it wouldn’t come off with anything. I tried even using lacquer thinner, and most of the stuff mentioned above. So I called the mfr and got a hold of their tech service after a day of trying, and the guy admitted that the product was not working out like they wanted, and I ask what I could do to get my tires back to a Virgin State. He recommended tarminator by stoner. I giggled, that he would recommend somebody else’s product, and he said that it was the only one that really worked well, and that’s what they used… It worked perfectly the first time.
    Glen -

12. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can almost guarantee that the dealer used a solvent based, bulk quantity dressing to give the tires a "lovely" showroom shine. Most customers would be very pleased with that look and longevity. However, as you have found, these products are much harder to cleanse from the tire.

You have used probably one of the stoutest tire cleaners, repeated cleanings will yield you the results. Because the tires have been sealed up for an extended period, the brown blooming will take repeated passes to remove.

If you are still having trouble, as mentioned get some Stoners Tarminator. I occasionally need to use this on a set of extremely fickle Michelin PS3's to get them truly stripped. Spray Tarminator into a B-Grade towel (you will ruin this towel, so choose wisely) and rub the side wall aggressively.

14. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done 3 applications of Tuf Shine and I'm starting to see rubber! I'd say I'm about 80% there. It's still frustrating having to clean them 3 or 4 times to get them where they should be. I will also be taking the advice to let them breath for a couple of weeks before applying any coating.

16. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast