autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: polish pads and compounds for my old jeep?

I've been using a lot of 3D One for exactly what you're looking to do. A 1 step "sorta" correction.

I never use any less than 6 pads on any buff/polish machine jobs (or as Flash suggested, maybe 3 if you split up the work over a few days). I would do a few test spots if you have any combos to compare but would most likely reach for MF cutting and/or Lake Country HDO orange pads.

2. Likes chilly, Flash Gordon, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I still really love those Meg's offerings.

M110 is a real winner in my book.
    I prefer 105 over anything else if I am facing a challenging job. It can be a frustrating compound to figure out because of the short working time (plus it dusts like crazy) so I (typically) don't recommend for the novice user

I have so much 100,101 & 105 that I haven't gotten around to purchasing 110. Ive heard many great things from people that I respect concerning this product that I have no problem recommending

I do wish Meguiars would step their game up with product development. Since 3M bought them out they appear to be asleep at the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I've been using a lot of 3D One for exactly what you're looking to do. A 1 step "sorta" correction.

I never use any less than 6 pads on any buff/polish machine jobs (or as Flash suggested, maybe 3 if you split up the work over a few days). I would do a few test spots if you have any combos to compare but would most likely reach for MF cutting and/or Lake Country HDO orange pads.
    Changing out pads often is key. If possible I think it's a great idea to change after each panel. Not only do you get better results, it prolongs the life of your pad.

I use orange and yellow pads almost exclusively (rotary polisher). I really prefer the RUPES pads for their beveled design. This design really helps keep the backing plate from hitting your paint. They also allow you to get another inch into tight spaces.

If I am using a dual action (DA) / random orbital (RO) polisher I prefer using microfiber pads no doubt.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I prefer 105 over anything else if I am facing a challenging job. It can be a frustrating compound to figure out because of the short working time (plus it dusts like crazy) so I (typically) don't recommend for the novice user

I have so much 100,101 & 105 that I haven't gotten around to purchasing 110. Ive heard many great things from people that I respect concerning this product that I have no problem recommending

I do wish Meguiars would step their game up with product development. Since 3M bought them out they appear to be asleep at the wheel.
    The first time I broke out the M105 I was doing my old neighbor's car in his driveway. I was in the mid afternoon summer sun, Flex 3401, and green Hex pad. It barely had any time to cut. It was incredibly dusty and puzzling to work with.

Then the "gurus" were recommending weird "priming" methods for it, which only exacerbated the situation.

Now that I've used my typical application (4 drops, reload with one or two small drops) I get excellent cut and finish from M105, with a lot less dust. I still get some, but it actually seems to keep my pad cleaner after a good brush out.

I like it because it gets to the point very quickly, and usually doesn't take so much effort to remove where my 3D can fight me sometimes. I also like that it doesn't have any intentional odors. I like the natural scent that the Mirror Glaze abrasives have. The 3D ACA500 and especially AAT501 are nauseating

I was a very big user of M100 for years though. That stuff performed miracles when I needed divine intervention to help me cut some paint. I currently don't have any, but I am planning on picking some up.

That M110 cuts like M105 but has a very different user experience. It has en extended work time, but will still dust out of the pad easily.

With M205 I can almost get a similar performance to 3D ONE in terms of cut to finish. I have had some issues finishing with M205 on soft black paints in the past, but I just switched to Ultimate Polish in those situations. Today I'd try the M210.

5. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    3D one with a microfiber pad and a foam polishing pad is really good advice.

If your looking for specific's get the blue or orange microfiber from Lake Country and the orange FOAM polishing pad. I would get the orange SDO with CCS if you have a short throw polisher or the HDO if you have a longthrow. GREAT PADS. I personally feel they are considerably better than the rupes foam pads in user experience.
    Hey noorth, I'm just now getting around to doing this and have the 3D One ordered. I have a very step learning curve with what pads do what so please forgive me. From what I'm understanding, I'm to apply the 3D One all over with microfiber pad, clean, and then apply it again with a foam polishing pad?

I have a 20mm long throw polisher so I've been searching for the Lake Country HDO pad like you suggest but I'm not sure how to interpret what's coming up in the results. Would you mind giving a link to the pads your referring to please?
    'If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later.' ~ Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I have three sets of gear. One I keep at my house, one at my gf's where I do the bulk of my personal, private work, and one I keep at my part time gig.

They all have a core compound / polish in 3D ONE. I get a lot of milage out of it.

I typically use a microfiber cutting pad in the Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber, or Lake Country HDO Microfiber, and yellow B&S Uro-Tec or orange HDO CCS. Pick one of each, add 3D ONE and you can get a LOT of territory covered.

Sometimes the microfiber pad will finish down enough to not need the foam polishing step, and sometimes the foam polishing pads cut enough to not need a microfiber cutting step.

As someone facing a wide variety of scenarios I also keep 3D ACA500 for a heavier cut, and AAT502 for ultra fine finishing.

You sound like me talking about the Ultimate Compound that I use for ages, but obviously it's time to try the 3D One.

Would you be able to compare the 2 ?
    Flex 3401 & PE14

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like autogeek is out of orange CCS/HDO..

Lake Country HDO CCS 5.5 in. Pads - 3 Pack - Choose Your Pads

I would get 3-4 orange pads and a few microfiber - if you have heavy defects. If your not in a huge rush you can clean up pads has you go.

The SDO/CCS is another option butt they won't last so long on a 20mm throw. But i always liked the standard orange SDO on my 15mm. Holding up just fine.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
    Hey noorth, I'm just now getting around to doing this and have the 3D One ordered. I have a very step learning curve with what pads do what so please forgive me. From what I'm understanding, I'm to apply the 3D One all over with microfiber pad, clean, and then apply it again with a foam polishing pad?

I have a 20mm long throw polisher so I've been searching for the Lake Country HDO pad like you suggest but I'm not sure how to interpret what's coming up in the results. Would you mind giving a link to the pads your referring to please?
    Yeah sure you can use 3D one that way. So people don't even wipe off the residue. Straight to the foam pad.

Mike Phillips called it the cheater technique i believe...

There are many options but the buff and shine uro-fiber 50/50 is a good cutting pad. You might even get away with just 1 step.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12