autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DEBRIS when -blow drying- car

The thought has come to me many a time. I wash pretty weekly.....and even in winter, I try to time it so there won't be an overnight freeze past the garage...
    The only time I use a towel is in the winter as there is too much airborne debris around

All other times of the year, I am using my blower+stubby nozzle and in 3-4 minutes, I am done drying....

Anyhow, who here prescribes to the (blower may blow debris) so I only use a Metro, etc
    The convenience of cordless is just so much more easier.......

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEBRIS when -blow drying- car

Valid point...although I have never run into an issue.
    Biggest problem I see is airborne pollen and then sticking to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I get pollen on any clean car just from the static....

Post Thanks / Like

I just started drying my car off with this method a couple of weeks ago and while I was doing it I was thinking the exact same thing. I try to work my way from the top down and I try to be very careful when doing my tires and wheels (pointing the blower downward is going to kick up a fair amount of grit). I'm thinking about only doing the wheels once the car has been moved into the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh I dry with a leaf blower or blaster sidekick. Never had an issue. If I'm getting scratches, it's likely not from that, although I'm sure there could be some.

6. Likes Bosko, SameGuy, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you could buy one of them blow up bubbles and wet the floor down then push your car inside it if your really worried about it
    How much debris is blowing over your car when going down the highway?
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

8. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    I guess you could buy one of them blow up bubbles and wet the floor down then push your car inside it if your really worried about it
    How much debris is blowing over your car when going down the highway?
    Heh LD. I think this post pushed me to inquire as I was watching one of those recent sema video's and it was probably metro snippet and -filtered air-...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a leaf blower and/or an air compressor to dry vehicles for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem. Recently, I added a new dedicated leaf blower for the task just to eliminate the slight possibility of a multi-purpose blower throwing out a chunk of debris, but I don't even think that is an absolute necessity.

Unless you are washing your car in a gravel pit, or a dust storm, I don't see airborne particulates as any concern.

Dedicated blowers marketed towards detailers, with filtered and heated air, for hundreds of dollars are simply overkill in my opinion. But if you make one, and tell everyone it is necessary through your marketing, there are certainly those who will buy it... Not me!

11. Likes SameGuy, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say I did buy a metro vac back when I had my bike-- thats the only time I used it-- It did work fantastic on the bike.
    If I had a dedicated enclosed bay to detail my vehicles I would have it set up / wall mounted though.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Fan View Post
    I just started drying my car off with this method a couple of weeks ago and while I was doing it I was thinking the exact same thing. I try to work my way from the top down and I try to be very careful when doing my tires and wheels (pointing the blower downward is going to kick up a fair amount of grit). I'm thinking about only doing the wheels once the car has been moved into the garage.
    Don't you have a speed control on your blower? Isn't the ground wet after washing which should hold down the dirt and debris from flying around?

14. Likes SameGuy, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast