autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Keeping stock brake calipers looking new?

I've played around with various brake cleaners and brushes on our older cars but I just don't seem to be able to get them looking fresh. I'm sure it has to do with the coatings (Stock, not painted) but I've always thought there has to be some way to keep that silver/grey coating looking new. Is there some contaminant remover I should be trying? Am I missing something or is nothing short of a disassemble and severe scrubbing going to help?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping stock brake calipers looking new?

I’ve had good luck with stock calipers by using something like a Sonax wheel cleaner, and a long horse hair brush available on all the sites. I just wet, spray , agitate with the brush to foam it up, and then rinse… I usually follow it with something like Gyeon wet coat to give it a protective coat and then hit with a leaf blower…..done for a couple months.

If you are super OCD, or they are filthy from letting it go for several months, a better option is to take the wheel off.
    Glen -

3. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheels will definitely come off. Not as OCD with the calipers as I am with other things. Just looking for the right formulation to keep them clean. I tried brake cleaner on come older calipers and used a pretty aggressive brush but it didn't seem to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Painting them helps. The G2 caliper kit makes maintenance easier and they stay cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

SOnax Wheel Cleaner Plus every 4-5 washes with OPC at 1:3 all washes in-between keep my VW factory red calipers looking spotless and new. 60k on the GTI and 41k on the GLI and not a spec of fallout baked onto them. I use a 1.25" boarshair brush for contact washing.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Painting them helps. The G2 caliper kit makes maintenance easier and they stay cleaner.
    If they are the "raw" aluminum like the calipers on many cars these days, I think this is the only answer to keeping them looking good in the long-run. You don't have to paint them a crazy color either. They have silver, black, and some other colors which would not look out of place.

Several of my cars have had the unfinished calipers and despite my best efforts, they tarnish as the years go by. Between the elements, heat, and time they eventually discolor or stain.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

IF you don't want to paint un-painted calipers BUT want to prevent the oxidation, try a product called "Shark's Hide". It is for protecting unfinished metals and pushed primarily for preserving tooling(wrenches, hammers, etc) if they are exposed to elements. But it works on aluminum intake manifolds, magnesium valve covers, steel tailpipes, etc. You just need to do it very early in the service life of whatever it is you're trying to protect. It dries clear-ish and is just a tiny bit hazy once cured. I have used it on hands tools and valve covers myself.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

9. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Fan View Post
    I've played around with various brake cleaners and brushes on our older cars but I just don't seem to be able to get them looking fresh. I'm sure it has to do with the coatings (Stock, not painted) but I've always thought there has to be some way to keep that silver/grey coating looking new. Is there any brake shop have some contaminant remover I should be trying? Am I missing something or is nothing short of a disassemble and severe scrubbing going to help?
    Keeping those brake parts looking fresh can be tricky. You can try using a specialized brake dust cleaner or an iron contaminant remover. They work wonders on that silver/grey coating. Also, consider a gentle scrubbing with a soft brush to avoid damage. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

AutoFanatic wheel cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The silver finish you see on many OEM calipers is a zinc plating not a paint or powder coat that can be easily cleaned. I recently rebuilt the OEM calipers on my Tacoma & painted them with silver Duplicolor caliper paint to make cleaning easier in the future.

13. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Prange, PaulMys, Matador liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast