autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Preserving "New" exterior Trim

The trim on my new 2022 Pilot is looking new and I'd like to keep it that way. The SUV's paint is the darker metallic "Modern Steel Metallic". The trim around the wheels and bumper has a lighter grey look to it. I have gone through the site and searched but most posts address trim that needs restoring. I'd basically like to get a protectant on it and retain it's original color and matte finish. It's first wash is coming up soon and I'd like apply something at that time. I'm not really interested in any exotic or high priced elixir but if I have to I will make the purchase. I'd prefer a long lasting OTC product that is easily accessible and is user friendly with a "wipe on, wipe off" application process.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preserving "New" exterior Trim

What do you plan to use on your paint since some paint sealants/coatings can be used on healthy trim?

3. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Dlux. Good for years to come. Will never need to "dress" it when washing/drying it.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes Rsurfer, chilly, dgage, Bruno Soares, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it is on a Mazda, just because it looks so nice

2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes Rsurfer, chilly, dgage, Bosko, Bruno Soares and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is a good option.

9. Likes chilly, Bruno Soares, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    What do you plan to use on your paint since some paint sealants/coatings can be used on healthy trim?
    The car came with a dealer added paint protection covering. I know this was an unnecessary add on to pay for but there were other concessions when I bought it. With that said, I'm not sure exactly what was used. I can tell you one thing, whoever did it did one heck of a great job. It looks REALLY nice sitting in the garage. I bought some (Turtle Wax) Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray and was going to try it out on the wheels. I will probably use it on the door jams and a few other inconspicuous spots to see what the results look like. Could this double up as a plastic protection spray?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Honda Fan View Post
    The car came with a dealer added paint protection covering. I know this was an unnecessary add on to pay for but there were other concessions when I bought it. With that said, I'm not sure exactly what was used. I can tell you one thing, whoever did it did one heck of a great job. It looks REALLY nice sitting in the garage. I bought some (Turtle Wax) Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray and was going to try it out on the wheels. I will probably use it on the door jams and a few other inconspicuous spots to see what the results look like. Could this double up as a plastic protection spray?
    The Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray should last 4-6 months on normal paint, probably less if it has a decent coating on it though it likely would make the coating last longer. The ceramic spray can also be used on the trim to keep it protected and I’d expect it to do well though not sure how long it’s durability would be. My guess is you’d want to use it every 3 months to ensure solid protection.

The WETS that The Guz recommend is a good exterior trim sealant that gives solid protection for 3-4 months. CarPro DLUX that TTQ recommended or my favorite, Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Coating, are both coatings for your trim that will require you to continue to coat them though the trim coating could last 9-12 months before needing reapplication.

You’ll be fine with any of these options.

The most important part isn’t your trim but how you take care of the paint. A coating won’t stop scratches so be careful how you wash the paint to ensure you don’t induce marring that might require polishing even though the coating is still strong.

One last thing, the parts of your car that are most sensitive are actually your headlights. While you can also put DLux or a ceramic spray on them, the best protection would come from placing paint protection film (PPF) over the headlights. Of course, if you do a lot of highway driving, you may also want to put PPF on the front clip of your car.

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought some (Turtle Wax) Hybrid Solutions Ceramic spray
    Many good suggestions here

The TWHS Ceramic spray will work just fine....like all and any other surfaces on a vehicle...keep up with the maintenance/cleaning....this is key

My Kia is a 2018 and is never garaged and travels on 2 miles of dirt roads a day

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. The "paint protection" most dealers apply is likey just a Jax Wax Brand product but not a good coating like we're discussing. Certainly not a trim coating. I grew up in the car business with a family that owned dealerships and can say most all the extras are simply just added profit tied to a warranty in case something bad happens. In the 80's the scare tactic centered around acid rain spots, etc.

15. Likes Bosko, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the suggestions and guidance. I'm fairly confident in my DIY detailing routines but with all these new coatings and treatments that are out there I guess I need a little hand holding and guidance before jumping into the deep end. I'm basically old school and up until purchasing my first DA polisher about 5 years ago I basically did everything by hand and used your basic polish and then wax coating. I guess I'm just a little nervous about wiping something onto a new finish and finding out... oops! I felt comfortable with my routine but each time I've done something new, like clay-barring a car etc, I've found that my results have improved and the time I need to spend keeping my cars looking sharp has greatly decreased. I'll be spot testing these new products in order to get a feel for them and then hopefully they'll become part of my evolution in car care.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast