autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help Removing Paint Splatter From Car

So........my wife drove thru some white paint that someone dropped on the highway yesterday, not sure if its oil based, spray paint or what but its stuck on good. I know I can get it off of her paint but the textured plastic is where I am at a loss for what to use. Is there a product anyone would recommend that wont discolor the plastic? Help Need Help Removing Paint Splatter From Car-2-jpgNeed Help Removing Paint Splatter From Car-1-jpg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help Removing Paint Splatter From Car

Hello,

We no longer have this product since it is being discontinued but I found it on amazon and this should help out with your problem. I would do a test spot even though it states it is safe on plastic.
    Amazon.com
    Nicholas • Customer Service
    Phone: 772.247.3420
    Nicholas@palmbeachmotoring.net

3. Thanks pwgsx thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The sooner you get it off the easier it will be. As the paint hardens and cures it will become more difficult.

I would first try with mineral spirits. If that doesn't cut it, I'd step up to an enamel reducer, then lacquer thinner, then acetone, in that order and as necessary. You can be quite liberal with the mineral spirits and even the enamel reducer, but if you find that you need lacquer thinner or acetone you have to be a little more discriminating with their usage.

5. Thanks pwgsx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2Black1s is the man for paint questions but another product I’d throw out is Tarminator as that is safe on most surfaces I’ve tried and should help. But do a test spot in an unseen area to be sure it is safe.

7. Thanks pwgsx, 2black1s thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems there is hope, fingers crossed. Plan is to start with the pressure washer, then mineral spirits, enamel reducer and see what happens. I ordered the paint remover on amazon but it will arrive tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

my nephew spray painted his garage with a sprayer, didn't realize he had gaps where he was spraying and he sprayed his motorcycle on the inside

he used a pressure washer....on every surface including the leather bags it took it right off the clear coat, no plastic that I know of, but it carved into the leather on the bags, it was a mistake to try on leather

i'd start with a green scrubby pad and some apc

he had little flecks left on the clear coat, btw, and I as able to get them with a clay bar and lube

good luck, sir

and be careful with oil based solvents (thinner, spirits, etc) and oil based materials (plastic)....test spot ......not meaning to step on toes, but I'm shaking my head a bit and suggesting caution, once you chemically dissolve or change the surface, there is no going back

Post Thanks / Like

Another piece of advice....get some damnn mudfflaps lol. That would have minimized the paint sling and kept it more concentrated on the mudflap.

And 2 black1s is spot on for the paint, as fil has used that method for line paint. Dunno about plastics

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    The sooner you get it off the easier it will be. As the paint hardens and cures it will become more difficult.

I would first try with mineral spirits. If that doesn't cut it, I'd step up to an enamel reducer, then lacquer thinner, then acetone, in that order and as necessary. You can be quite liberal with the mineral spirits and even the enamel reducer, but if you find that you need lacquer thinner or acetone you have to be a little more discriminating with their usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    2Black1s is the man for paint questions but another product I’d throw out is Tarminator as that is safe on most surfaces I’ve tried and should help. But do a test spot in an unseen area to be sure it is safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    my nephew spray painted his garage with a sprayer, didn't realize he had gaps where he was spraying and he sprayed his motorcycle on the inside

he used a pressure washer....on every surface including the leather bags it took it right off the clear coat, no plastic that I know of, but it carved into the leather on the bags, it was a mistake to try on leather

i'd start with a green scrubby pad and some apc

he had little flecks left on the clear coat, btw, and I as able to get them with a clay bar and lube

good luck, sir

and be careful with oil based solvents (thinner, spirits, etc) and oil based materials (plastic)....test spot ......not meaning to step on toes, but I'm shaking my head a bit and suggesting caution, once you chemically dissolve or change the surface, there is no going back
    Test spot where it can't be seen easily. Using a stronger chemical doesn't mean to slap it on and hope it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had a similar situation with yellow line paint. I used bug and tar remover. I saturated a small area at a time let it sit and then wiped it away with a soft terry towel to avoid scratching the textured plastic. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline