autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlights, wet sand then polish, or cutting compound?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesdak View Post
    ahh. I wondered that. I'm assuming wet sand with either of those grits? In that same vein, I called the body shop a few weeks ago about clear coating headlights when done. They said not to polish, only wet sand prior to clear coat. This is like a whole new world to me, I was blown away by the transformation.
    Yep. When restoring lights, do not polish to a gloss, go straight to the Clear Spray after your 3000 grit. You can polish them out as you have done and put a sealant or Ceramic on them, but neither will last long. Go PPF if you're going to do that. THat's what I tend to do.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Thanks Mikesdak thanked for this post
    Likes Mikesdak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Cerakote headlight coating following the correction steps

There was a lot of buzz about that for a while

I haven't used it, just curious why nobody has mentioned it

4. Likes Mikesdak, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the Cerakote headlight coating following the correction steps

There was a lot of buzz about that for a while

I haven't used it, just curious why nobody has mentioned it

Interesting enough, the coating in the Griots kit I just used is the Cerakote headlight coating. I don't think they mention it on the box, but they clearly mention it in the "how to" video.

Other products I've used, like the Wolfgang product, only lasted about six months before the lenses started yellowing and getting hazy again. I'm really hoping the Cerakote product lives up to the 2-year claim. I'll find out soon enough because the car I just applied it to will sit out 24/7 in all weather conditions.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 3M wipes I'm planning to use claim up to 2 years UV protection... Item no 32516. They came in a kit with a 3 inch disc of trizact 3000 grit for about $7. Maybe these will last?

8. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesdak View Post
    The 3M wipes I'm planning to use claim up to 2 years UV protection... Item no 32516. They came in a kit with a 3 inch disc of trizact 3000 grit for about $7. Maybe these will last?
    yep. they will be fine. Trizact is what I use. paper does matter.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Just like with paint....do a test spot.

I teamed up recently with another detailer on a job. I noticed the headlights were foggy, as did he. he asked if we were going to do them. I said, "if we have time" - thinking sanding was needed.

He's a young and eager guy. He is also VERY happy with the M105 bottles I gave him. He felt it might be enough to do the job.

Sure enough, i was blown away with the results from the simple method he used, and it only took minutes. M105 on an older Griot's MF 3" pad.
    BOOM, that's exactly what I do. M105 or the coarsest compound I have using the heaviest cut pad I have on hand and let'er rip. So far i have gotten away with just that and following up with a coat or two of M20 or equivalent. It seems to hold up for a decent while.

I've not done it yet, but if they ever get soo bad that I need to sand them, they will get a polyurethane clear coat. The agents in that will bond with the plastic/lexan and will be second only to the factory OE coating .... according to the painters I have talked to. Some even suggest it is better than.
    They only sand out to 800 or so and then shoot the clear. If you sand out too fine the CC won't won't adhere as well as it could've.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Cerakote headlight coating TODAY ..

Did everything by the book: oxidation removal - 2000 - 3000 - UV coating.

I did it nicely and thoroughly, but the end result .. hmmm

I was left with some scratches.

I did 2000 and especially 3000 carefully,, making sure that the whole light was sanded properly.

Any idea why I still ended up with these scratches ?!??

Headlights, wet sand then polish, or cutting compound?-img_0383-jpg
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

When I used the Griots kit, I found I didn't spend enough time with the 2000 and the 3000. Somewhere in the instructions, either with the kit or the video, there is mention of the heavy (1000?) grit stage is the one you should spend the most time on to remove the hazing and discoloration. After going through the process, I'd respectfully agree. Spending a lot more time with the 2000 and 3000 grit stages are really where you find perfection.

I have a couple areas, just like what you picture. Fortunately, they are on a car that's old and spends it's whole life outdoors. Perfection was not the goal, clarity of the lenses and improved headlight performance was, and I got that...though it does have some sanding marks visible.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    When I used the Griots kit, I found I didn't spend enough time with the 2000 and the 3000. Somewhere in the instructions, either with the kit or the video, there is mention of the heavy (1000?) grit stage is the one you should spend the most time on to remove the hazing and discoloration. After going through the process, I'd respectfully agree. Spending a lot more time with the 2000 and 3000 grit stages are really where you find perfection.

I have a couple areas, just like what you picture. Fortunately, they are on a car that's old and spends it's whole life outdoors. Perfection was not the goal, clarity of the lenses and improved headlight performance was, and I got that...though it does have some sanding marks visible.
    \

In the Cerakote instructional video, they mentioned doing 2000 and 3000 for 2-3 minutes only.

It looks like I didn't do the 3000 long enough to get rid of the scratches caused by 2000 although I spent at least 15 minutes doing the 3000 in an intensive (car detailer) manner.

I'll try doing more of the 3000 on the second light.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast