autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose my first polisher

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    unless you're at the factory (and are the owner of the company who is doing business) and know exactly everything that goes into all products (and sourced materials) I wouldn't assume it's a fact. not every product is junk, that's my point. quality comes in different levels..

p.s. brian/apex detail has many videos of different polishers he breaks down. there's some good info...
    Exactly, blanket statements don't work

Made in America is no guarantee of a high level of quality

When I was a kid (I'm 66) MADE IN JAPAN was a derogatory statement indicating poor quality

Now we can't afford to have stuff made there

My 2020 Lexus UX250h was made in Japan and is head and shoulders above my 2017 Toyota Tacoma in even panels gaps, panel alignment, general workmanship, etc and the Taco was partially built in the US

One of my other hobbies is mountain biking and fat tire biking

I have been in the game for almost 40 years

The highest quality mountain bike frames went from made in America to made in Japan to made in Taiwan to made in China as prices in each place climbed and they had to go to the next cheaper country for manufacturing

All of the new manufacturing places had a period where quality and workmanship took a hit but then the quality came back and in some cases exceeded the best we could do here

Assuming an Italian polisher is better than a Chinese one simply based on country of origin is not a safe assumption in my book

2. Likes VISITOR, PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Exactly, blanket statements don't work

Made in America is no guarantee of a high level of quality

When I was a kid (I'm 66) MADE IN JAPAN was a derogatory statement indicating poor quality

Now we can't afford to have stuff made there

My 2020 Lexus UX250h was made in Japan and is head and shoulders above my 2017 Toyota Tacoma in even panels gaps, panel alignment, general workmanship, etc and the Taco was partially built in the US

One of my other hobbies is mountain biking and fat tire biking

I have been in the game for almost 40 years

The highest quality mountain bike frames went from made in America to made in Japan to made in Taiwan to made in China as prices in each place climbed and they had to go to the next cheaper country for manufacturing

All of the new manufacturing places had a period where quality and workmanship took a hit but then the quality came back and in some cases exceeded the best we could do here

Assuming an Italian polisher is better than a Chinese one simply based on country of origin is not a safe assumption in my book
    things & times change...
    i am the jump starter.

4. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

here'a a video of some shinemate polishers being discussed on here or the brand in general...

i am the jump starter.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    here'a a video of a shinemate polisher being discussed on here or the brand in general...
    First, I am not a fan of that guy's channel, I find him hard to watch and take seriously, he comes across to me as the Gilbert Gottfried of detailing

However

His observations of this particular polisher match all the other observations I have seen on the web

It may be too early in the game to talk about longevity but the 620 has been out the better part of a year I think and I haven't seen any blown up units yet

As I said, you gather the facts as best you can and make a decision based on needs, budget, etc

I can easily buy 3 new Rupes machines to rebuild my arsenal (I married well) but why would I want to when I can buy three damn good machines for the price of the single most expensive Rupes I would be considering (Ibrid)

Like I said on a different thread, I have no one to impress

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorgan View Post

I buy American, I also buy from China.
    You said it all right here.

When you buy "American" you are buying from China. At least in part.

Show me a 100% American-made truck, lawnmower, washing machine, OR polisher and I'm all over it.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes VISITOR, chilly, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to step up to a Flex or Rubes and can wait for the right deal listen up.

At Christmas buy a couple of $300 gift certificates at 20% off...($600 value for $480) Sit on them until the 15% polisher sale in February. Rubes are excluded usually but I've snagged two Flex's this way. The kits with goodies are only a few dollars more. At that price point there are free goods tossed in with a sale.

That Shinemate cordless on Amazon it $500. I paid $385ish after discounts for a cordless Flex.

11. Likes PaulMys, dgage, opie liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Just don’t annex Quebec

That way we can avoid all the signs being in French as well as English

Oh, and MPH and gallons at the gas pump is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We don't need Quebec....haha English speaking people are their subordinates in their minds. (Very large part of the population at least.)

13. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That combo is still a front runner as well

I know they are a solid choice

My issue with Griots is their shipping policies for Alaska as I have stated in the past

They only ship 2nd day or express and it’s crazy expensive

I am limited to buying most of their line and all of their BOSS stuff from a third party if I decide I want it since they don’t sell that line through the local outlets that handle their stuff

There are a couple other lines that only ship super expensive ways or simply don’t ship to Alaska at all so I choose not to do business with them

If you can wait till Black Friday Autogeek has Griots polisher kits 15% off that should help offset shipping which should be $30-40 from AG.

15. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorgan View Post
    I wouldn't use Apple as a proxy for goods made in China. Apple is a vertically integrated company and they own virtually every stage of their production. It's all very tightly controlled.

There aren't any other brands made in China that benefit front this type of integration, that I'm aware of.

The quality control is just lower in China than in America. That's a fact. They also choose to go with lower quality parts in order to keep the end-consumer prices down. Another fact.

Some companies eat the cost and stand behind their product, like Griot's. Their stuff is made in China but they're taking all the risk with a Lifetime Warranty. Contrast that with Rupes, their product is insanely expensive and yet you only get 1 year? Hmm...
    China has manufacturing facilities to rivals ours. The could make it to any specification and quality ordered.

It’s the companies trying to cut costs who will order their products with lower quality parts and not caring about quality to offer an lower cost product with good Margins.

17. Likes chilly, VISITOR, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That combo is still a front runner as well

I know they are a solid choice

My issue with Griots is their shipping policies for Alaska as I have stated in the past

They only ship 2nd day or express and it’s crazy expensive

I am limited to buying most of their line and all of their BOSS stuff from a third party if I decide I want it since they don’t sell that line through the local outlets that handle their stuff

There are a couple other lines that only ship super expensive ways or simply don’t ship to Alaska at all so I choose not to do business with them

That is certainly an obstacle many don't have to cope with. That sucks man!
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

19. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast