autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose my first polisher

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    the iphone (apple) is made in china. great product, right?
    I wouldn't use Apple as a proxy for goods made in China. Apple is a vertically integrated company and they own virtually every stage of their production. It's all very tightly controlled.

There aren't any other brands made in China that benefit front this type of integration, that I'm aware of.

The quality control is just lower in China than in America. That's a fact. They also choose to go with lower quality parts in order to keep the end-consumer prices down. Another fact.

Some companies eat the cost and stand behind their product, like Griot's. Their stuff is made in China but they're taking all the risk with a Lifetime Warranty. Contrast that with Rupes, their product is insanely expensive and yet you only get 1 year? Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Sandro at Car Craft can’t stop singing the praises of the Shinemate 620 and it’s much cheaper than even my legacy Rupes 15, and slightly less than half of a Rupes MK III
    I went over to Shinemate's Amazon storefront and it looks like some of Sandro's videos are being used for advertising. It might be the case that he has a financial interest in the company. Just playing devil's advocate here, as I really love his videos. That is how the YouTube business model works, anyways...

3. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for the class related to OP's original comment on doing mainly soft Japanese paint systems - am I mis-remembering (wouldn't be surprising...) that long throw polishers on soft paint can be more challenging to finish off well?

Of course I can't remember a specific example, but I thought I remember reading on here that achieving a flawless finish on soft paint can be easier with a short throw?

I can only speak from a house with (hard) Audi paint, but I've been extremely happy with my G9/G8 combo. Also worked great on my Wife's Mom's pure black Volvo.

5. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, hold up a minute...

Can't really have an all American NHL.

Nevermind, hosers.

7. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could tie Alaska in nicely though.

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgeorgan View Post
    I wouldn't use Apple as a proxy for goods made in China. Apple is a vertically integrated company and they own virtually every stage of their production. It's all very tightly controlled.

There aren't any other brands made in China that benefit front this type of integration, that I'm aware of.

The quality control is just lower in China than in America. That's a fact. They also choose to go with lower quality parts in order to keep the end-consumer prices down. Another fact.

Some companies eat the cost and stand behind their product, like Griot's. Their stuff is made in China but they're taking all the risk with a Lifetime Warranty. Contrast that with Rupes, their product is insanely expensive and yet you only get 1 year? Hmm...
    unless you're at the factory (and are the owner of the company who is doing business) and know exactly everything that goes into all products (and sourced materials) I wouldn't assume it's a fact. not every product is junk, that's my point. quality comes in different levels..

p.s. brian/apex detail has many videos of different polishers he breaks down. there's some good info...
    i am the jump starter.

11. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went over to Shinemate's Amazon storefront and it looks like some of Sandro's videos are being used for advertising. It might be the case that he has a financial interest in the company. Just playing devil's advocate here, as I really love his videos. That is how the YouTube business model works, anyways...
    This is always a concern in my book

The “Pan approach” to reviews and marketing on YouTube

At the end of the day I guess you either trust someone and take the plunge or sit around fretting over what to buy

The jury is still out for me and I have plenty of time to keep researching

Who knows what will be available in the next 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

unless you're at the factory (and are the owner of the company who is doing business) and know exactly everything that goes into all products (and sourced materials) I wouldn't assume it's a fact. not every product is junk, that's my point. quality comes in different levels..

p.s. brian/apex detail has many videos of different polishers he breaks down. there's some good info...
    Alternatively, one can examine every product they get from China and see where plastic gears are used in place of metal gears, circuit boards have poorly soldered joints, etc... The few exceptions are the products that still carry a premium.

The idiom, "you get what you pay for", is usually pretty accurate.

The few exceptions are just that: exceptions.

I did see Apex video on Shinemate. It's probably a good polisher. I suspect they cloned a Rupes and subtracted out the Italian markup. After all, there's nothing particularly proprietary about the physics that goes into these machines.

In economics, there's this thing called a "Giffen Good". Put simply, it's product that people consume more of as the price rises...

Post Thanks / Like

Alternatively, one can examine every product they get from China and see where plastic gears are used in place of metal gears, circuit boards have poorly soldered joints, etc... The few exceptions are the products that still carry a premium.

The idiom, "you get what you pay for", is usually pretty accurate.

The few exceptions are just that: exceptions.

I did see Apex video on Shinemate. It's probably a good polisher. I suspect they cloned a Rupes and subtracted out the Italian markup. After all, there's nothing particularly proprietary about the physics that goes into these machines.

In economics, there's this thing called a "Giffen Good". Put simply, it's product that people consume more of as the price rises...
    Iong throw polishers idea was taken from the dynabrade attachment. when another product improves on another's short comings, I'm all for it (better for the customer). i'm happy with the ones I have and could careless what anyone else assumes (as do many others)...
    i am the jump starter.

15. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iong throw polishers idea was taken from the dynabrade attachment. when another product improves on another's short comings, I'm all for it (better for the customer). i'm happy with the ones I have and could careless what anyone else assumes (as do many others)...
    Ok? I'm not sure how that relates to my comment, though.

Don't get the wrong idea here. I own Griots and Rupes. I buy American, I also buy from China. And I guess I buy Italy? But I'm also realistic about what I'm getting.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast