autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose my first polisher

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I like to Porter Cable 7424xp, personally. But lately I've been using my Rupes Nano, Mini, Duetto, and 21.

I use the Adam's 15 and Mini at work, and they're not too bad either.

Do you have or have had any flex machines?
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Do you have or have had any flex machines?
    Oh yeah.

I've had three or four 3401's, and a PE14.

I've been seriously considering buying a new PE14 and XCE.

I really wanted to see how the XFE15 would do against the Duetto before I made the switch with that tool.

I could replace the Nano and Mini with the Flex Pixie.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Porter Cable 7424xp and wish I had stepped up to a better machine. A bit of a learning curve...to get right speed with the right amount of pressure. But then again...I am a rookie and only polish my truck once a year....if that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go...

Griots for personal use or,

Flex for personal use and after they see your results, Flex for everybody!

Seriously, if you'll be doing friends, family and more...Flex. just my experience.

5. Likes dgage, John U, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I'd go...

Griots for personal use or,

Flex for personal use and after they see your results, Flex for everybody!
    or both , love my GG and flex polishers!
    i am the jump starter.

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    or both , love my GG and flex polishers!
    Normally I’d agree with you since I started with Griot’s and then upgraded to Flex. But I really don’t use my Griot’s GG9/GG8 anymore since getting the Flex cordless polishers. But I don’t plan to sell them just in case I need them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nmatthew View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first polisher

I've been interested in detailing for 2/3 years. Throughout that time all I did to express my detailing passion was doing proper washes on my cars, detailing my engine bay, wheels, applying various sealants n waxes, etc. When I need a paint correction and coating I go to my local detailer to get my cars done.

I watch and learn a lot about detailing regularly from Youtube videos. I thought about getting a polisher for quite a while. I recently bought another car (used) and I can't help seeing the swirls and imperfections on the paint! So I thought, this is my chance to get a polisher and learn to correct my paint. My friends also support me to get a polisher and they want to pay me to polish their car too later.

My cars are all Japanese cars, which has a soft paint. I think in the future I will more often deal with these soft painted cars. What polisher do you guys think I should get? I really like the Rupes lhr15 m3 but I think for now its too much for my budget.

I'm thinking to get a 5 inch DA polisher with a 15mm stroke, specifically the ShineMate EX610 5/15 or the Shinemate EX620 5/15.
    There are a few things that you need to be mindful of going down this rabbit hole. When you are purchasing a polisher, your investment goes deeper than the polisher. It is more of part of an investment in the process or system; Pads, polishes, and perhaps number of polishers etc.

Full transparency I have a few long throw Rupes polishers. And I use most of them when I work professionally and on my personal vehicle. This allows me to get the most out of a polishing section. This may (especially considering the cost for just one) may not be practical for you.

With that said my 1st polisher was (which I still own) the Porter Cable 7424xp. The Junkman2000 video a long time ago (lifetime lol) sold me. This may surprise you; I often got better results with my Porter Cable than my 2nd polisher Rupes Duetto EARLY on. The Porter Cable is a good value before you factor in the ideal 3inch and 5inch backing plate options. As good as as the Rupes Mark III 15 is, for a new person learning to negotiate car curvature with a polisher your user experience may not start out great for the price and possibly wanting to also invest in a smaller 2nd polisher. This may even be an issue with the flex which I have used as well.

The advantage (most obvious advantage) may not be what comes to your mind. Casual use with higher end polishers is more enjoyable physically and mentally once you get the hang of it. And professionally (heavy long term use) safer on your body. I am speaking of nerve damage and general fatigue as well. Secondarily durability. And last they are superior polishers but I rank this part #3. I was on TV, as some recall, getting great results from a Porter Cable.

If I did it all over again, I probably still start with the Porter Cable. But although the Lake Country pads worked great, I would have used more premium (future investment proofing) pad choices compatible with higher end polishers. Which goes back to the other thing with higher end polishers. The pads are more expensive, to be able to handle the power. It is not much different than purchasing an exotic car; the gas, the oil change, the general maintenance is going to be more expensive.

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post

If I did it all over again, I probably still start with the Porter Cable. But although the Lake Country pads worked great, I would have used more premium (future investment proofing) pad choices compatible with higher end polishers. Which goes back to the other thing with higher end polishers. The pads are more expensive, to be able to handle the power. It is not much different than purchasing an exotic car; the gas, the oil change, the general maintenance is going to be more expensive.
    What do you consider a premium pad? What LC pads are you referring too?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not even sure premium pad was the best choice of words.

When I started I used Lake Country CCS pads, which worked quite well with my Porter Cable.at the time. You had to be careful with the 3inch option at speed 6 but it got the job done at the time. If I went back in time and if they were available back in those times I would have

It is ironic that is I use Lake Country HDO pads sometimes with my Rupes polishers, which Lake Country deems there premium option.

13. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maxshine M8S gets my vote for the following reasons:

-It is similar to the porter cable 7424xp but has more power (900 watts)
    -Already comes with a 5 inch backing plate from the factory and you can easily swap a 3 inch backing plate for smaller areas
    -Costs less than $100
    -Lifetime warranty

15. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast