autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question re Prep and Application of Cancoat Outside

I used Gyeon Cancoat for the very first time today on my wife's Honda and I can see why so many people on this forum love this product. It was very easy to apply and the shine and gloss are amazing.

I have a question about the prep and application of Cancoat outside. I have no choice but to do my detailing outside since I do not have a garage or car port. For my own car, I need to first do a polish before applying Cancoat. I plan on using Dr. Beasley's NSP 45 with my DA polisher. The issue is that even if I start out early in the morning, I have a limited amount of time to work in the shade. By the time I wash, decontaminate, clay, and polish the entire car, I won't have enough time in shade to apply the Cancoat. So my thought was to do all the prep work including the polishing the day before. Then the next morning I would do a quick rinseless wash to get rid of any light dust or debris that fell on the car overnight, and then apply the Cancoat.

So my question is, after I polish the car using Dr. Beasley's NSP 45, is it ok to wait 24 hours to apply the Cancoat? If I do a rinseless wash with either Mckees 37 N-914 or ONR right before applying the Cancoat the next morning, will I have any issues with the Cancoat bonding to the paint?

Thank you,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question re Prep and Application of Cancoat Outside

I think you’ll be fine if you use N-914 because it leaves no residue, but I’d still use a panel wipe afterwards. ONR leaves polymers behind that could impact the coating bonding so I’d not use that one.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    I think you’ll be fine if you use N-914 because it leaves no residue, but I’d still use a panel wipe afterwards. ONR leaves polymers behind that could impact the coating bonding so I’d not use that one.

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to avoid having to do a panel wipe. That is why I chose Dr. Beasley's polish, as a panel wipe is usually not required for that particular polish. If I use the N-914 instead of the ONR as you suggested, do you think I can safely skip the panel wipe?

Post Thanks / Like

I would also still use a panel wipe. The other option is coat as soon as you finish polishing a section of the car.

6. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would also still use a panel wipe. The other option is coat as soon as you finish polishing a section of the car.
    Thank you. Section at a time is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to avoid having to do a panel wipe. That is why I chose Dr. Beasley's polish, as a panel wipe is usually not required for that particular polish. If I use the N-914 instead of the ONR as you suggested, do you think I can safely skip the panel wipe?
    I like the safe approach and that’s why I said panel wipe. N-914 can also be mixed to be a panel wipe, maybe just use that stronger mix for your rinseless wash? It’s 1 part N-914 to 8 parts water.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied mine six months ago completely outside on a semi sunny day and it still looks great today. My process was:
    -Completely wipe down the scooter with 50-50 IPA, It didn’t need any type of polish.
    -Wiped on the can coat with a microfiber brick, Spraying Cancoat into the brick, 1 inch from the sprayer…
    -Buffed Used the white towel they gave you after five minutes or so…

As I said above, still looks perfect today. Or a car, I definitely would do the one panel at a time start to finish…In fact, I’ve gone to a one panel at a time for every product on my Detailing shelf no matter what I’m doing.

Another tip… If you’re gonna be doing anything outside always go over to the weather app and look at the amount of cloud cover scheduled for that day. A friend of mine asked me last week to try and polish out his hood on a new Subaru cross trek where a cat walked across it, I held off for three days because it was direct overhead hot sunlight, and waited for a day with 75% cloud cover, it worked out great…always choose overcast if you can.
    Glen -

11. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered investing in a pop up tent?⛺️

13. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gyeon prep is EFFORTLESS. Takes 5-20 minutes at most.
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue