autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever put a splash of APC in their favorite car shampoo bucket to add more 'kick' ?

This is what I've suspected was essentially the case when you'd see these 'bug and tar' shampoos out there.

The APC I've been using lately that's been around forever, but I never seen talked about here is Oil Eater.

That stuff is amazing at cutting the junk I have to pre-treat off my detailing towels or drying towels before I wash them. I'll mix a 3:1 spray bottle that will take off friggin grease and tar stains off of shirts to my nices detailing towels I may have screwed up a bit by using to clean gunk that won't wash out. It also is kick ass at setting up for 'soaking' towels that have wax residue or cermaic spray detailer on them to basically break it down.

I've seen some detailers online through YouTube, put in a splash of APC to their wash buckets to help cut on bug guts and car film. Curious if anyone does this when your car is filthy, and if so how much?

I googled Oil eaters recommendation, and they said 1oz per gallon...which sounds pretty high considering how strong that stuff is. I was going to try out 1oz per 2 gallons.

Thoughts gang?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever put a splash of APC in their favorite car shampoo bucket to add more 'kick' ?

I've added Optimum Power Clean before to their soap for extra cleaning power. One thing I like about using Carpro Reset is it cleans so well I don't have to use an APC. I'm not sure if APC's could dry out clear coat over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever put a splash of APC in their favorite car shampoo bucket to add more 'kick' ?

For regular maintenance washes on a vehicle that has solid protection I don't see the point.

I have never said to myself "man I wish the car was cleaner" after washing with a simple pH neutral shampoo. Dirt and grime is completely rinsed free from all the surfaces. What could possibly be left over? Sure maybe some tar spots here and there on lower panels or maybe a little sap here and there on top surfaces but those can be cleaned on a spot-by-spot basis.

I don't see how *objectively* you could make any kind of improvement in cleaning power with just an ounce of APC in a 5 gallon bucket.

Now, doing a APC pre-wash foam is something different and probably more effective. That is because the concentration is higher and thus more potent at dissolving contaminants. Then you would follow up with your ph soap hand wash. The caveat of course is the APC pre-wash foam is going to compromise protection.

4. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, opie, glen e, Matador, BlackCarBlues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every wash I do, whether it be rinseless or bucket o’ suds, has some level of protection in the product. Therefore I don’t wanna degrade that with some APC splash…
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried adding some APC to a Car Shampoo. I've always used them separately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    For regular maintenance washes on a vehicle that has solid protection I don't see the point.

I have never said to myself "man I wish the car was cleaner" after washing with a simple pH neutral shampoo. Dirt and grime is completely rinsed free from all the surfaces. What could possibly be left over? Sure maybe some tar spots here and there on lower panels or maybe a little sap here and there on top surfaces but those can be cleaned on a spot-by-spot basis.

I don't see how *objectively* you could make any kind of improvement in cleaning power with just an ounce of APC in a 5 gallon bucket.

Now, doing a APC pre-wash foam is something different and probably more effective. That is because the concentration is higher and thus more potent at dissolving contaminants. Then you would follow up with your ph soap hand wash. The caveat of course is the APC pre-wash foam is going to compromise protection.
    Not 'cleaner' but want something that will dilute all of the junk on the paint, before I wash. Bug guts, road film, grime from driving highway for 12+ hours over a long weekend, etc.

This is the wifes car too.

But with that said, I would recoat it as well when done.

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I've added Optimum Power Clean before to their soap for extra cleaning power. One thing I like about using Carpro Reset is it cleans so well I don't have to use an APC. I'm not sure if APC's could dry out clear coat over time.
    From what I've seen in Carpro Reset and other cleaning soaps that are higher PH...are just that. Higher PH soaps.

Example is this guy:

Heavy Duty Car Wash Pre Soak Cleaner & Degreaser Solution | 3D Car Care

3D Super PreSoak describes itself as a 'higher PH' wash, to help dissolve grime, road film, oil, etc. from the exterior of the car.

Why not put in a couple splashes of Oil Eaters which is high Alkaline (12PH in its concentrated form) to my PH balanced car soap?

I may also get some Hyper Wash too, since I read it's a about 9PH....

But curious curious....to try something new.

8. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Not 'cleaner' but want something that will dilute all of the junk on the paint, before I wash. Bug guts, road film, grime from driving highway for 12+ hours over a long weekend, etc.

This is the wifes car too.

But with that said, I would recoat it as well when done.

From what I've seen in Carpro Reset and other cleaning soaps that are higher PH...are just that. Higher PH soaps.

Example is this guy:

Heavy Duty Car Wash Pre Soak Cleaner & Degreaser Solution | 3D Car Care

3D Super PreSoak describes itself as a 'higher PH' wash, to help dissolve grime, road film, oil, etc. from the exterior of the car.

Why not put in a couple splashes of Oil Eaters which is high Alkaline (12PH in its concentrated form) to my PH balanced car soap?

I may also get some Hyper Wash too, since I read it's a about 9PH....

But curious curious....to try something new.
    Reset isn’t high pH tho

Great thing about Reset - rinses clean leaves nothing behind, pH neutral, excellent lubricity and cleaning power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Matador, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did not know that...Hmmm...

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Did not know that...Hmmm...
    Reset is unique IMO and kind of stands alone among the shampoos.

Post Thanks / Like

Reset is ph7 and that 3d super pre soak is ph8. Its not just about what ph # it is...its also about whats in it.
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15. Likes CleanIT liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast