autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time detailing. My apologies, but I have to ask the questions

I know people ask the same questions, and I apologize. It’s like that on every forum ranging from people DIY building computers, getting into tools or just any new hobby they want to tackle. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a little bit, reading the vast amount of knowledge. Trying to learn the terminology of what a LSP is or ONR (which I still have to look up) but I’ve come to you great people in search of guidance. My wife has purchased a used 2016 black Mustang and has so kindly appointed me the ‘keep her looking pretty’ guy. So for Father’s Day she told me to order a polisher. Sooooo I got us a Griots G9 polisher. Cool! What do I do with this? All I’ve done in my whole career of washing was the old school dawn in an old mop bucket and a wash rag. After some research, I’ve stumbled upon the general consensus that (1) this is terribly incorrect and (2) I’ve never actually known how to correctly clean a car.

Shared album - Brrr - Google Photos

^link to car pictures and what I’ve ordered.

Here’s where you guys come in. I don’t know what to buy. I’ve purchased about $350 of stuff from the AGO store and I’m not sure what else I need or if I even bought the correct stuff and what order to use it. From what I’m gathering, I should rinse car off, foam cannon the piss out of it, wash it, clay bar it, use the polisher (but what freaking pads!? That’s a rabbit hole in itself. Each company uses different color pads for the same cut?? What thickness do i get? LC HDO pads? Griots pad?? No idea what pads to get!!) then after the two step polish, use a protectant (I have the 845 coming I think) so is that it or am I wrong?

sorry to be such an inconvenience about this stuff, but hopefully I can get on track. I’ve tried reading some articles, but the more I read, the more lost I got.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time detailing. My apologies, but I have to ask the questions

If you're doing a 2 step correction, to keep it simple for ya..... this is what I would recommend.....

- Carpro Ultracut compound
    - Carpro Essence polish
    - 12 Rupes yellow polishing pads and use them for both compounding and polishing.

Then seal it with anything of your choosing
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

3. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Likes Brrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    If you're doing a 2 step correction, to keep it simple for ya..... this is what I would recommend.....

- Carpro Ultracut compound
    - Carpro Essence polish
    - 12 Rupes yellow polishing pads and use them for both compounding and polishing.

Then seal it with anything of your choosing
    Well, I ordered the Meguiars swirl correcting kit that came with M105 and M205… so would the Rupes pads still be suitable for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

6. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brrr View Post
    I know people ask the same questions, and I apologize. It’s like that on every forum ranging from people DIY building computers, getting into tools or just any new hobby they want to tackle. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a little bit, reading the vast amount of knowledge. Trying to learn the terminology of what a LSP is or ONR (which I still have to look up) but I’ve come to you great people in search of guidance. My wife has purchased a used 2016 black Mustang and has so kindly appointed me the ‘keep her looking pretty’ guy. So for Father’s Day she told me to order a polisher. Sooooo I got us a Griots G9 polisher. Cool! What do I do with this? All I’ve done in my whole career of washing was the old school dawn in an old mop bucket and a wash rag. After some research, I’ve stumbled upon the general consensus that (1) this is terribly incorrect and (2) I’ve never actually known how to correctly clean a car.

Shared album - Brrr - Google Photos

^link to car pictures and what I’ve ordered.

Here’s where you guys come in. I don’t know what to buy. I’ve purchased about $350 of stuff from the AGO store and I’m not sure what else I need or if I even bought the correct stuff and what order to use it. From what I’m gathering, I should rinse car off, foam cannon the piss out of it, wash it, clay bar it, use the polisher (but what freaking pads!? That’s a rabbit hole in itself. Each company uses different color pads for the same cut?? What thickness do i get? LC HDO pads? Griots pad?? No idea what pads to get!!) then after the two step polish, use a protectant (I have the 845 coming I think) so is that it or am I wrong?

sorry to be such an inconvenience about this stuff, but hopefully I can get on track. I’ve tried reading some articles, but the more I read, the more lost I got.

Reading and research are important but only to a degree. You have the general idea and received good advice on the products and pads. I’d have to suggest HD One, HD Speed and HD Poxy which are excellent on black paint, easy to use and works well with a variety of pads. Once you start trying to work with the equipment and products, you’ll accelerate your learning experience quickly. Jump in and enjoy it.

8. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Likes Brrr, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharply Dressed View Post
    Reading and research are important but only to a degree. You have the general idea and received good advice on the products and pads. I’d have to suggest HD One, HD Speed and HD Poxy which are excellent on black paint, easy to use and works well with a variety of pads. Once you start trying to work with the equipment and products, you’ll accelerate your learning experience quickly. Jump in and enjoy it.
    Okay, thanks for the sound advice. With the kits I ordered, one comes with CCS pads and the other comes with LC low profile pads. The CCS pads are 6.5’s and the Low Profile pads are 5.5 (I think? Maybe it’s the other way around.. I ordered a 5” backing plate anyway) but from what I’m reading the G9 likes a little thicker pad… I’ll give it the LP pads a test run on our GMC Acadia to see how it looks. I have 3 black vehicles and I think I may regret that color choice. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a list of everything I have purchased for exterior car detailing. Is there anything else I’m needing??

Auto Detailing list

Tires:
    Sonax Plus
    Amazing Roll off
    Wolfgang Black diamond tore gel
    Poor boys wheel sealant
    Tire/Wheel brushes

Washing stuff:

Poor boys bug squash
    Bug and tar sponge
    PF22 foam cannon
    Carpro reset
    Meguiars mf wash mit
    Koala wash mitt
    Colllinite 845

Buffing stuff:
    Griots G9
    5” vented backing plate
    Meguiars 105 and 205
    IPA 91% mixed at 8:1 for panel prep
    ONR for clay lube
    Pad cleaner and pad conditioner
    Masking tape
    LC Hybrid Force pads (didn’t mean to order those, they are for long throw polishers right?)

Misc:
    Blackfire APC
    Famous detailing brush
    5 piece detailing brush kit
    Microfiber towels
    Waffle weave drying towel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brrr View Post
    LC Hybrid Force pads (didn’t mean to order those, they are for long throw polishers right?)
    Those were made for forced rotation machines...namely the flex machines

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Those were made for forced rotation machines...namely the flex machines

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Ahh.. I bought them and forgot what the reason was. I was suggested to get Rupes yellow foam pads. Any other recommendations for the G9?
    2021 Ford F-150 XL STX 5.0 Coyote
    2016 Ford Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost
    2010 GMC Acadia 3.6

Post Thanks / Like

I used p&s dream maker on a black car the other day and First time detailing. My apologies, but I have to ask the questions looks amazing. Give it a try after you polish everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks Brrr thanked for this post
    Likes Brrr liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast