autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing a paint correction. Couple questions

Hello, I own a 2016 Shelby GT350 in competition orange. I brought my car to have paint corrected, but it seems like they just did a polish/sealant. The car has very minor swirls in the paint, that you cant see unless looking within 3' in direct sunlight.

I had a Supra I had done a paint correction on before that came out really good. But that was a couple years ago. Couple quick questions. I have some Pinnacle compound, wolfgang total swirl remover I figured I would start off light to take off any swirls. I dont think Ill need the compound with a heavy cutting pad but we will see.

I was planning on using Sonax Profiline nano polish 3/6, follow it up with Wolfgang Perfekt finish paint prep, and then Wolfgang Si02 Paint sealant. Will this be okay? From what Ive gathered the sonax polish is very glossy, and the wolfgang Si02 is also very glossy and gives a good amount of protection. Not sure if the perfekt finish prep is necessary?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a paint correction. Couple questions

Well what I would do is after you do your normal wash- I would clay the entire car. I am thinking you can save a tad bit of $$ and use the Wolfgang product that you already have, with a medium pad (Rupes yellow-of course do a test spot first ). Then do a good wipe down with a good IPA solution , and finish it off with your LSP ( WG Sio2 )
    That should get you

3. Likes dlc95, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you provide us with any pics?

Oh, and welcome to AGO.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Perfekt Finish Prep is called for when using Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant - it will remove any polishing oils and allow it to bond properly to the paint. In reality, you could probably use any IPA wipe down product, but since you already have the Perfekt Finish, might as well roll with that.

Otherwise, Total Swirl Remover is some pretty good stuff, I'd try that on the swirl marks with a few different pads and see if that knocks it out.

Sounds like a cool car.

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like

I think the polishing products you already have on hand should be just fine, Wolfgang Swirl Remover is a good polish and you can pair it with different cut levels of pads to adjust the results a bit depending on what you need. I'd start with a medium cut pad like Lake Country White Thin Pro's as a starting point.

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant is a great choice and I really liked using it. It does leave a very shiny finish and it had the longest durability of any sealant I've used. You can use products other than Perfekt Finish Prep as a final wipe down. I used CarPro Eraser and it worked just fine. I think the important part is to remove the polishing oils before application of the sealant. Pick your poison. Does using a panel wipe change anything with the sealant? Don't know. I did it because the product instructions recommend it and doing that step only takes a few minutes, however I've never done a panel wipe before applying any other sealant and was always happy with the results and the durability.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Does your 350 have stripes? I plan on doing a paint correction on my 19 350, but not until winter.

I really like Wolfgang products. I've been using their Uber compound more than the total swirl remover. I use lake country white and orange pads.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
    Well what I would do is after you do your normal wash- I would clay the entire car. I am thinking you can save a tad bit of $$ and use the Wolfgang product that you already have, with a medium pad (Rupes yellow-of course do a test spot first ). Then do a good wipe down with a good IPA solution , and finish it off with your LSP ( WG Sio2 )
    That should get you
    Thanks, I actually already ordered a bunch of the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Can you provide us with any pics?

Oh, and welcome to AGO.........
    I do not have any pics at the moment, but I will get some soon

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post
    The Perfekt Finish Prep is called for when using Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant - it will remove any polishing oils and allow it to bond properly to the paint. In reality, you could probably use any IPA wipe down product, but since you already have the Perfekt Finish, might as well roll with that.

Otherwise, Total Swirl Remover is some pretty good stuff, I'd try that on the swirl marks with a few different pads and see if that knocks it out.

Sounds like a cool car.

-Adam
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think the polishing products you already have on hand should be just fine, Wolfgang Swirl Remover is a good polish and you can pair it with different cut levels of pads to adjust the results a bit depending on what you need. I'd start with a medium cut pad like Lake Country White Thin Pro's as a starting point.

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant is a great choice and I really liked using it. It does leave a very shiny finish and it had the longest durability of any sealant I've used. You can use products other than Perfekt Finish Prep as a final wipe down. I used CarPro Eraser and it worked just fine. I think the important part is to remove the polishing oils before application of the sealant. Pick your poison. Does using a panel wipe change anything with the sealant? Don't know. I did it because the product instructions recommend it and doing that step only takes a few minutes, however I've never done a panel wipe before applying any other sealant and was always happy with the results and the durability.
    Cool good to know. Yeah the Si02 seems really good. I havent seen anything bad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdubbs View Post
    Does your 350 have stripes? I plan on doing a paint correction on my 19 350, but not until winter.

I really like Wolfgang products. I've been using their Uber compound more than the total swirl remover. I use lake country white and orange pads.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
    It does, its competition orange with black stripes. The stripes are screwed. I may end up just replacing them. Although I have PPF on the front and rear bumper. Why the rear bumper but not the hood is beyond me, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you pay for a correction or a polish and seal? Maybe talk to the shop that did the work and explain it’s not up to your standards.

What machine/pads do you have?

11. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Did you pay for a correction or a polish and seal? Maybe talk to the shop that did the work and explain it’s not up to your standards.

What machine/pads do you have?
    I did. Id rather not go back honestly. My gut told me to just do it myself, should have listened lol.

I had the porter cable, and then I just ordered some new Lake Country CCS pads. I ordered Orange, white, blue and black. I doubt Ill need the orange, but I figured just in case