autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for new stuff - advice please!

Hi everyone - first post on the site but have been reading a lot!

I'm a newbie who bought CG stuff a couple years ago to get started. Guess the marketing got to me. Torqx polisher, orange, white, and black CG quantum hex pads, and VSS. The past couple years I've used VSS/orange pad followed by meguiars ultimate wax. Last year I bought CG Blacklight and put that on before wax. Anyway, as I've been learning more it seems there are much better products out there and I am running low. However, I've watched so many videos of different products and pads that I'm still not clear on what to get. Corrections needed are mostly light swirls and scratches, typical automatic car wash stuff (I know I know!)

I'm thinking a 1 step product followed by a wax or sealant is enough. I do think blacklight added some depth and gloss to my dark grey truck so maybe do that before the wax or sealant?

So...what 1 step correction/polish and pad combo? Sonax perfect finish or 3D One seem to be highly recommended? Can I use my CG orange or white or do I need a different pad?

What sealer or wax? Jescar ultralock+, Sonax pns, and Collinite seem to be highly recommended? Would like a simple apply and wipe off here.

If best to buy different pads I can do that, but considering I need several of each type it would be great if I didn't need to buy a bunch of new pads and could use my CG pads. I still even have a few unopened!

Vehicles include: Ford F150, Volvo XC90, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time for new stuff - advice please!

Your machine and pads should be fine to take care of light swirling.

3D Speed followed up with Collinite 845 is an outstanding combo that I have used countless times.

And........ Welcome to AGO!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes BadgerRivFan liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!!

I was thinking maybe I should describe the scratches and swirling and I can be educated on what I call light ��

Looking at the car 95% of the time, I can't see any swirl marks or scratches. The paint has nice shine to it, the metallic really sparkles. The time it is most evident is in the evening when the sun is reflecting off the side of the car just right and I'm looking down the side. I tried taking a picture of it but can't get it to show. In that view I see a lot of light scratches. I took my VSS and orange pad to it a few nights ago and it only made it slightly better.

So given that info, is HD speed the right answer? If yes, should I use my orange or white CG pads? Also, what is the best way to apply the Collinite, black pad or by hand?

Thanks again and sorry if these aren't the brightest questions. I just want to try to get this right and not do any damage!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are light swirls if you can only see them in the right light 5% of the time.

I've never used any CG liquids, but many guys will tell you they are not well thought of for the most part.

Speed can be surprising in the amount of defect removal it can handle for an AIO (All In One). There are lots of variables. Product, pads, paint (clear coat) hardness, tools and techniques used.

If an AIO isn't "cutting it" though....... (pun intended), then there are a ton of great dedicated polishes to try. Sonax & 3D One (as you mentioned) are two excellent choices.

And there are no "stupid questions" here. We all started from square one.

6. Likes Hawk75, opie liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks! I'll give 3d speed a go. Would you suggest I use the orange hex or white hex pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk75 View Post
    Great thanks! I'll give 3d speed a go. Would you suggest I use the orange hex or white hex pad?
    The standard procedure in paint correction is to do a "test spot" with your least aggressive combo (Pad/product). Inspect your results, and then move to a more aggressive approach only if needed.

So.... Start off with your white pads.

9. Likes Hawk75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3D One is my go-to if I want to add protection like a wax, sealant, or coating.

If I want a polish and wax combo I use 3D Speed.

For the past year I've been using a combination of 3D abrasives, and Optimum for everything else. Foe some weird reason I really like it. But the Optimum does have a bit of a learning curve - at least for me it did.

I also use Duragloss to protect the paint after polishing.

111 is their pure sealant. It has just enough cleaners in it to ensure a good bond to the paint.

101 is one of their cleaner sealants. It has a very light abrasive and a similar protection package to 111.

Aquawax is their spray sealant. So easy to use and it's very durable.

You can use One or Speed with any of those pads. I still really like using the green, blue, and red Hex Logic pads, but I'm usually using Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber for heavier tasks, and Uro-Tec yellow for polishing. Those hex pads are actually manufactured for Chemical Guys by Buff and Shine, so you can get those same foam compositions here at the AG store if you wanted to save a little cash.

11. Likes Hawk75 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks everyone. 3D Speed and Collinite on the way. I'll start with the white hex pads and move to orange if needed. If I'm still not getting the results I'm looking for I'll pick up some 3D one.

Question on pads - how many uses can I get from each? I wash them with warm water and pad cleaner after each use. They seem to be in good shape but not sure if there is a recommendation for when to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks everyone. 3D Speed and Collinite on the way. I'll start with the white hex pads and move to orange if needed. If I'm still not getting the results I'm looking for I'll pick up some 3D one.

Question on pads - how many uses can I get from each? I wash them with warm water and pad cleaner after each use. They seem to be in good shape but not sure if there is a recommendation for when to replace.
    I usually have to replace my pads when the velcro wears out, or thebfoam starts to degrade.

14. Likes Hawk75, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it depends on how often you use them, and how many you have to rotate through. I have 6 of each of the older ccs white and orange, and 6 of each of the orange and white thin pro in my detailing bin. They're all going on 5 years old with no sign of slowing down but I only use them 3 or 4 times a year. I clean them thoroughly after each use and let them dry out.

16. Likes Hawk75, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast