autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair

Hey guys, I have a 2016 Chevy Malibu Limited LTZ with iridescent pearl tricoat and have a couple places where the paint is chipping off. What would be the best solution for defects like these? Do I need to wet sand or is there a product that would be a good match for repair? Also, has anyone used a product that matched well with Chevys pearl iridescent tricoat? I know that’s a tough color to match up to.

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair-5bf4d428-fa0d-407c-9c46-6ec06262199d-jpg
    #1 is in the channel where the roof meets the door. This is the worst spot of all as it is down to the bare body and rusting.

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair-502402a8-ec7e-42b8-81c6-c6e90093a195-jpg
    #2 is further up the same channel, down to the bare body just not rusting

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair-541d3a37-0bbc-463c-8e70-90fcf9fe7a52-jpg
    #3 is the most noticeable spot. Inside the door jamb

Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair-7444a09e-2a0a-4c06-9ecd-1e42ff4ad3f7-jpg
    #4 is the last spot. Same door jamb and if you look closely you can see cracking between the two chips

these are driving me crazy and I need to repair them before they just get worse.

any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair

Yikes...has that been repainted b4? Looks like some delamination form bad prep work.

First off it can be fixed some what easily so long as any of the paint does not chip off when sanding further than it already has over the rolled edges of the body lines. Which is unlikey judging by the pics. That is where it would become a much larger job and i would take it to a paint/body shop.

Start sanding with 400 grit (220 if 400 isnt cutting it) and a red scuff pad...feather it out. Be sure not to sand it out or have it flake off past that edge of the body line. Completly sand out any rust or it will come back.

If that goes well, then look up automotive touchup paint website. I have used them in the past with perfect color match(of difderent color though). Get the primer,base and clear all from them.

Going to have to tape off a hard line with making tape right at that body line edges. Next wipe with wax and grease remover. Spray etched primer. Sand that with 1000 or just red scuff it. Wax and grease remover again and tac cloth. Then spray base, then clear.

Just know that this project could go from bad to worse real quick. And if does just know when to say stop and let the pros handle it. Anyone can do anything so long as they know what to do when things take a bad turn
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. Likes billrose12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure if it’s been repainted or not. I’ve had it for 3 years and at that time it was 3 years old, it only had 28,000 miles and nothing was on the car fax but that don’t mean much lol. Thanks for your advice, I’ve never sanded a car before and would rather take it to someone then try and do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked any warranty materials for your car? I think some GM products have a 6-year paint warranty. This seems like manufacturer defects in the paint quality and wouldn't be the first time a GM product has had issues like this. The only thing that can truly fix this is a full repaint unfortunately. You may be able to stave off any additional peeling with the tips Opie suggested but at the risk of causing more damage.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

Post Thanks / Like

looking at the pictures and you saying its down to bare metal, im going to say you have delamination between primer and metal.-how bad it is is hard saying. you could be seeing just the beginning of the problem. hopefully the problkem is contained to just those areas.
    repairing it- what do you want for final outcome? just protect the metal or exact match?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billrose12 View Post
    Thanks for your advice, I’ve never sanded a car before and would rather take it to someone then try and do it myself.
    With that being said i would say take it to a reputable shop.Iridescent Pearl Tricoat Paint Repair

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In the late nineties, GM had a bad problem with this iridescent pearl Tricoat paint. It would peel like that and continue to get worse with age. It was especially prevalent at the edges of panels, hoods and roofs where it starts its peeling. It would just keep coming off in rubbery-like strips of paint. The only remedy was to repaint. During those years GM would not warranty this paint issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Detail View Post
    During those years GM would not warranty this paint issue.
    i remember seein a few of the cars with the problem back then. iirc, there was a class action suit.GM won. failing paint isnt a safety hazard or some crap like that.