autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nu-Old School vs New School? Question for Collinite 845 fans

Hi, I've been away for a long time - my user name is from 4, going on 5 cars ago!

Anyway, I've been a die-hard Collinite 845 user. I've tried other products, but always come back. Recently, I am tempted by the simplicity of the new infused spray sealants and QDs.

Specifically I just tried Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 wax. It took probably 1/4 the time I would take with Collinite, and significantly less effort. The result looks every bit as good and perhaps glossier. I am certain 845 also would win durability, but I would recoat every month or two anyhow, so that is not important to me.

But after a single coat, 845 easily wins for slickness, which I would not want to give up if I give up 845. Having done some other research on newer products, I have some Sonax ultra slick detailer on the way. I am hoping this combination might give me everything I want / need with a much easier and less finicky process.

So my question for Collinite 845 fans - Have you stayed with Collinite (845), or found that the ease of use and results of newer / more modern products justified moving on?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nu-Old School vs New School? Question for Collinite 845 fans

For me, an enthusiast, I have two key factors that determine my product selection. Time and energy. If I am feeling lazy, a spray product will scratch my detailing itch. More motivated maybe a wax or sealant. Even more I will add some decontamination steps and some polish. If I have a free weekend it may be a ceramic coating. So, yes, there are times the good ole 845 gets laid down and I am more than happy with it.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was a huge Collinite user, Rejex user, and various other things that required me to wax on wax off in the early 2000s… Absolutely never again… The new sprays, the easy coatings and the follow up toppers are just a joy to use versus all that crap that used to break my back and make my arm hurt… And take the better part of the afternoon
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm a 845 fan, that's on my F150 during Spring Summer and Fall. Now that I'm in New England, I switched to WGDGPS for the winter months, topped with 476S. Everything gets applied with my polisher and wipes off easy. The little labor to protection ratio for me is too efficient not to use.

Post Thanks / Like

As a Collinite fan, I really have moved on. To me the best product in terms of protection, value, and efficiency of application is Gyeon CanCoat, now Evo. It is so quick and easy to put down a layer that will easily last a year if well cared for. Only issue for you is that it isn’t slick but does stay relatively clean even though it isn’t slick. I wasn’t necessarily impressed with Sonax Ultra Slick Detailer but it might work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely still use Collinite 845. Albeit over 476s nowadays for winter.

Some guys may find it to be a chore, but I find it both relaxing and satisfying at once.

In the summer months, (after polishing) I have now taken to trying out many spray products including the GG 3-in1.

But come this October, out will come the Collinite brothers..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes dgage, hoyt66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think 845 still has a place.

I actually deviated from wax's and sealants for a number of years in preference of spray sealants. In recent years, I have circled back to them, for looks and the user experience.

This is fresh 845 on my Mustang -

10. Likes Tasmania, hoyt66, dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked 845 and used it for years. It was durable and looked good. I still have an unfinished bottle in my garage. I would not hesitate to recommend it or encourage someone to try it out.

Despite that, I moved on to coatings several years ago and probably won't go back to sealants in general. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't go back to Collinite. After a couple uses of Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant, I found I liked the Wolfgang better in almost every way. It was easier to apply, lasted longer, and had much better beading/sheeting for the first 4-5 months of the 6 months I tested it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, dgage, DFB liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied 845 my to car about 2 weeks ago - before discovering these newer sprays. As I described in the OP when I rewashed and applied the Griot's this past weekend it had everything I wanted in a wax/sealant.. except the slickness. But the Sonax detailer seems to have filled that gap - but I think still not as slick as fresh Collinite. That said, I feel the Griot's enhanced the level of gloss a bit more than 845.

I am thinking to continue using 845 as my base layer, maybe 3 times a year. Then to use the 3-in-1 as a booster in between and Sonax detailer.

Thanks for all the replies (& the Mustang looks awesome, I had a 2011)

14. Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still a Collinite 845 fan but I have tried other products like 476. I still go back 845 every fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

16. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast