autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Been out of the game awhile and need suggestions for black Toyota Rav4

I have a 2017 black Toyota Rav4 that I want to begin detailing myself. I’m the original owner and it only has 8000 miles on it. (Doesn't get driven much because I'm usually driving my Wrangler.) It’s always been garaged and never went through automatic car washes or anything so the paint is still in really good condition. I’ve been having a local detailer look after it but since I’m recently retired, I now have the time to do it myself so want to get back into it. I’ve had black cars in the past, Nissan Pathfinder and a different Jeep Wrangler so I'm familiar with the headaches.

Current plan is to get a G9 DA polisher and would like some comments/suggestions on products to use for minor correction, enhance gloss and protection. I’ve used a lot of Meguiar’s products in the past because they were very available but am very open to trying other things. I've been reading about Griot's Boss system and that sounds interesting. I would like to start out with less-agressive and then change things if needed. Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Been out of the game awhile and need suggestions for black Toyota Rav4

For what you want, try Griots BOSS Perfecting Cream. Go with the pad they recommend on the bottle (you will need about 4-5 pads to do the whole car, otherwise you will need to wash the pad and let it completely dry before using it again). If you need more correction you can switch to a more aggressive pad.

After you polish you’ll need to protect, so keeping in line with Griot’s products, you could use their Ceramic 3-in-1 for a very hydrophobic and glossy finish. 3-in-1 is one of the best (if not the best) spray on ceramic waxes/sealants.

Maintain that protection with Griot’s Ceramic Speed Shine by using it as a drying aid. Might as well use Griot’s Brilliant Finish Wash or Wash & Coat! Pick up a good quality Wash mitt or pad (I use The Rag Company’s Ultra wash pad). Also grab a good drying towel (I like The Gauntlet 20x30” also from TRC).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Been out of the game awhile and need suggestions for black Toyota Rav4

3D AAT502 with yellow Buff and Shine Uro-Tec is the least aggressive polish I use. If I wanted to go even finer I use the white Uro-Tec pads. I clean my pads a lot as I go around the car and often only need two per size for the entire job, especially when polishing.

I'm my situation it's a fail safe finishing polish that can correct minor defects and finish out beautifully, even on sensitive, dark finishes. It doesn't dust, it wipes off easy, and isn't going to stain trim pieces.

For sealing afterward 3D Bead It Up is super simple and easy to use, and super slick spray on wipe off polymer sealant. I also use a lot of Optimum Car Wax (spray and wipe carnauba/polymer blend), and Opti-Seal (pure polymer sealant, similar to 3D Bead It Up).

My maintenance products are Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine for washing, Opti-Clean when I need a spray on car wash, and Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.

CarPro is another line I use, Ech2o functions as a waterless (spray on) rinseless wash, or quick detailer. It also leaves a very slick glossy surface. Very economical and smells so good!

5. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally would start with Griots BOSS correcting cream and orange pads.....it finishes down Great...
    I'm not sure their perfecting cream is aggressive enough....no reason to do it twice...

I used to own a 2000 black RAV

7. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The products suggested already are great! However, I have another suggestion. If you want something incredibly user friendly and that provides great gloss, 3D Speed is an All-in-One cleaner wax/polish that produces lovely results with ease. It lays down a layer of wax/sealant as you are polishing, and after dialing in your process you can leave it on the paint to dry as you work your way around the vehicle. Then wipe-off is an absolute breeze, and your paint is protected.

I like to follow up with 3D Bead It Up to get that extra layer of slickness and water beading protection, as the wax element in Speed admittedly isn't the longest lasting.

This polish pairs well with virtually any pad, but any "polishing" pad works great. Basic Lake Country or Buff and Shine white/green/orange flat pads are good for this and come in affordable 6-packs on the AG store.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

9. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    For what you want, try Griots BOSS Perfecting Cream. Go with the pad they recommend on the bottle (you will need about 4-5 pads to do the whole car, otherwise you will need to wash the pad and let it completely dry before using it again). If you need more correction you can switch to a more aggressive pad.
    I'll second the nomination for Perfecting Cream. With the right pad combination it provides a surprising amount of cut. Also, Toyota paint is amazingly soft and easy to correct, so most finishing polishes with a medium cut pad will finish down perfectly.

I've used Optimum Hyper Polish, SONAX 04/06, and Blackfire Finishing Polish successfully for years now on our Highlander with great results. Any of them, to include the Griots should serve you well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    The products suggested already are great! However, I have another suggestion. If you want something incredibly user friendly and that provides great gloss, 3D Speed is an All-in-One cleaner wax/polish that produces lovely results with ease. It lays down a layer of wax/sealant as you are polishing, and after dialing in your process you can leave it on the paint to dry as you work your way around the vehicle. Then wipe-off is an absolute breeze, and your paint is protected.

I like to follow up with 3D Bead It Up to get that extra layer of slickness and water beading protection, as the wax element in Speed admittedly isn't the longest lasting.

This polish pairs well with virtually any pad, but any "polishing" pad works great. Basic Lake Country or Buff and Shine white/green/orange flat pads are good for this and come in affordable 6-packs on the AG store.
    That's a great suggestion too. Speed is such a nice polishing wax.

I agree with letting it sit on the car until the last section polished has had about fifteen or so minutes to set up. I'm getting really tight little beads when doing it that way. Seems to hold up better too.

One of my clients purchased an "Option 1" from my menu, which a Wash + Polishing Wax. Naturally. I used 3D Speed. But for his maintenance washes, I used Optimun Opti Seal for a drying aide and the two seemed to play really nicely together.

13. Likes crg001 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

One of my clients purchased an "Option 1" from my menu, which a Wash + Polishing Wax. Naturally. I used 3D Speed. But for his maintenance washes, I used Optimun Opti Seal for a drying aide and the two seemed to play really nicely together.
    Do you have a good bit of clients that come for maintance washes? And how often do they come in for one? Im quite curious lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iowajeep View Post
    I have a 2017 black Toyota Rav4 that I want to begin detailing myself. I’m the original owner and it only has 8000 miles on it. (Doesn't get driven much because I'm usually driving my Wrangler.) It’s always been garaged and never went through automatic car washes or anything so the paint is still in really good condition. I’ve been having a local detailer look after it but since I’m recently retired, I now have the time to do it myself so want to get back into it. I’ve had black cars in the past, Nissan Pathfinder and a different Jeep Wrangler so I'm familiar with the headaches.

Current plan is to get a G9 DA polisher and would like some comments/suggestions on products to use for minor correction, enhance gloss and protection. I’ve used a lot of Meguiar’s products in the past because they were very available but am very open to trying other things. I've been reading about Griot's Boss system and that sounds interesting. I would like to start out with less-agressive and then change things if needed. Thanks for any help!
    Without getting crazy i would recommend getting BOSS orange and yellow pads, at least 6 of each. Boss correction and perfecting creams.

If you wanna keep it simple and inexpensive Griots 3-1 ceramic wax, if not look into polish angel. Would recommend Carnauba arts black wolfenite or Rapidwaxx.

If you do decide to use a drying aid i like meguairs Hybrid Ceramic detailer better than Ceramic Speed shine. Both good but better hydrophobics than the CSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Thanks Iowajeep thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Do you have a good bit of clients that come for maintance washes? And how often do they come in for one? Im quite curious lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Just this guy. He owns a restaurant down the street from me and I'll go there when heading to my gf's place from mine during the good weather months. My others wash on their own, or run it through the car wash. I would do his car once a week for $50.00 and dinner for my gf and I.

18. Likes opie liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast