autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Spray Ceramic on Plastic Gauge Lenses?

Just ordered some brand new re-production plastic lenses to replace the scratched, cloudy lenses on the dash gauges of my 73 Trans Am. The re-pops look really good - but several of the reviews say that they scratch very easily.

Is it OK to use a ceramic coating on clear plastic? I know that’s fine on modern plastic headlight lenses, but those seem to be much harder and more durable to begin with - almost like Gorilla Glass or something. I just don’t want to have some odd chemical reaction between the ceramic and the clear plastic lens material. Just looking to get a little scratch resistance before handling the lenses for installation and the occasional microfiber wipe down of the interior.

Thinking about using a light Spray Ceramic as opposed to a thicker serum product.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray Ceramic on Plastic Gauge Lenses?

Any SIO2 spray will work fine....Griot's 3 in 1 is very popular

3. Thanks PDC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts.

- I wouldn't put anything on the gauge lenses that would make them shiny. The reflections will make them harder to read in some lighting conditions. Even if this is a project car/garage queen, you still want it to be drivable.

- The ceramic coating won't offer any real scratch resistance. I love coatings and use them on vehicle exteriors all the time, but I'll also freely admit the scratch resistance claims are marketing hype and nothing more. If the high solids coatings in the bottles don't offer any scratch resistance, the spray products won't either. They have fractions of SiO2 in them in comparison.

- If you are looking at a traditional coating, like CQuartz UK, I'd be worried about the solvents in the coating damaging the plastic used on the lenses. I had a vehicle a few years ago and the lens was etched with a cleaning product. I was able to polish some of it out, but it was never the same.

The best bet for protecting that lens is really just being very careful by using very gentle cleaning products and the softest towels possible.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes Bosko, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL...I should have read the question better....I thought he said headlights..........brain fog

7. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 Colorado ZR2

9. Likes Bosko liked this post