autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tricks for dark trim longevity?

Hey guys, i’m just wondering, i know with so many plastic and rubber trim cleaner/restorer/darkener (especially where i live, it rains ALOT, for a good 8 months of the year) it doesn’t take long for that deep black to fade back to that disappointing lacklustre black that drives me NUTS especially on light coloured vehicles.

So this being the absolute best place (in my opinion) to get sound, or innovative (LOL which isn’t always the good type of innovative) ways to step up your detailing game!

I was perhaps wondering if say, going over the plastic or what have you with say, a hybrid ceramic wax spray, like the blue meguiars, or even just some Quick Wax would possibly help add a layer of protection over whatever product you use to add to the longevity of that slick beautiful dark black i like so much?

Any feedback, any suggestions, or anything is more than welcome, AS LONG AS WE KEEP IT UP TO THE STANDARD OF FRIENDLY DEBATE/DISCUSSION THAT MAKES AUTOGEEK SO GREAT! Criticism is okay, provided it is CONSTRUCTIVE!

A big ol’ Canadian thank you from Maple Ridge, British Columbia Canada.

Also, i have many friends from the Ukraine, and one who just lost their family home due to shelling, i don’t want to get political, but i would ask that whatever belief system you live by… send your thoughts, prayers, good vibes, positive auras etc to the people of Ukraine who’ve had their life utterly turned upside down by Russia’s violation of a sovereign nation, as well as the threats being made against Finland (the country of which many of my ancestors were from, the rest were from Iceland.

2. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tricks for dark trim longevity?

Well I was going to give some advice but then you mentioned being from Canada and that just won’t work here. Kidding. I’ll give the best advice I can starting with moving to the Caribbean where it is MUCH warmer. I lived in Nome and Fairbanks Alaska many years ago and I don’t plan to ever live in a really cold environment anymore. But I definitely miss aspects, especially the beauty of the great outdoors. And ultimately, home isn’t a single place. So I hope you know I’m kidding and having fun. Life is too short and we need more amusement, especially with what is going on in the world as you mentioned.

Anyway, on to the trim. If you have newer trim in great condition, you can focus on a coating type product such as Pinnacle Ceramic Trim Coating, Gyeon Trim, or Solution Finish Over The Top and they’ll give longer protection, maybe up to 6 months or so. Some have mentioned the Cerakote (Griot’s licensed them too) Trim Wipes (Gloss and Matte) to also do a great job with protection as well as some rejuvenation.

For vinyl/rubber, Meguiars #40 is a good cleaner with a little bit of protection. But for door gaskets and similar, a product called GummiPfleger is very good. It is made by a few different companies but Autogeek carries the Sonax version.

But if your trim needs some rejuvenation, Solution Finish is the main one I’d recommend for restoring trim to like new condition. Then put one of the aforementioned coatings on top to protect the trim long term. Good luck!

4. Likes chilly liked this post