autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do You Think it Would be Safe to Cut In the Edges of Headlights with a 1-Inch Sanding Disc on a Griot's Garage GR3 When Correcting/Sanding Headlights?

Mr. Phillips,

I would like to know if you think it would be safe to cut in/frame the edges of headlights with 1-inch MIRKA Abralon sanding discs that I have custom cut myself mounted on a 1-inch MIRKA interface pad that I have also custom cut myself, and then mounted onto a Griot's Garage GR3 Mini Rotary Polisher when performing the sanding steps of headlight correction?

I know I've seen you say in your videos that you do not advise using rotary polishers for the sanding steps of headlight correction because "that's grinding" and will most likely end up gouging the plastic of the headlight lens, but I would like to know if you think it would be safe to use the above setup just to cut in/frame the edges of the headlight with my 1-inch discs on the GR3 Mini Rotary? I would be using the MIRKA Abralon 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 grit discs as you did in your Review: Griot's Garage G8 Headlight Sander article, and I will be using the same grits of 2 and 3-inch discs mounted onto their corresponding custom-cut MIRKA interface pads, and then mounted onto a Griot's Garage G8 to complete the sanding steps of the correction.

This will be my first time correcting headlights, so my thought process is that cutting in the edges with the 1-inch discs on the rotary will be the surest and safest way to ensure I get the entire surface of the headlight consistently corrected, but I'll proceed with whatever your recommendation(s) may be for this process.

Thank You Very Much for Your Time and Consideration in answering this question. I Greatly Appreciate It!

Looking forward to your reply when you have the time, Mr. Phillips.

Have a Great Day, Sir!

Todd Clevinger

Mike Phillips

Re: Do You Think it Would be Safe to Cut In the Edges of Headlights with a 1-Inch Sanding Disc on a Griot's Garage GR3 When Correcting/Sanding Headlig

Quote Originally Posted by ToddC View Post

Mr. Phillips,

I would like to know if you think it would be safe to cut in/frame the edges of headlights with 1-inch MIRKA Abralon sanding discs mounted onto a Griot's Garage GR3 Mini Rotary Polisher when performing the sanding steps of headlight correction?

I think it can be done safely especially with an interface pad, slow to medium rpm and a STEADY HAND.

If you do gouge into the plastic all you have to do is block sand the area flat.

3. Thanks ToddC thanked for this post
    Likes ToddC liked this post