OK, so this is a follow up on my issue polishing the concave surfaces of this fairing with a Griot's G8 and 3'" pads. The fairing really has no flat surfaces, it is either convex or concave, and it's hard to keep the pad spinning.

I did a number of things differently this time.

First, I clayed it. I have always skipped this step, thinking that the bike is stored in the garage most of the time, but I did the baggy thing and there was some grittiness there so I did the clay and added a few scratches with this step, but the grit was gone.

I used pads which are new to me, Buff and Shine yellow pads with Wolfgang Swirl remover, and Buff and Shine white pads with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. The yellow pad is a little softer than the orange Griot's pads I usually use, the white ones feel about the same as Griot's black pads.

I used less polish, 4 drops to start, 3 drops to re-load, two yellow pads, two white ones to do the fairing, which is all I did today. The fairing gets most of the bugs when riding, and looks beat up before the rest of the bike.

This part you are probably not going to like. Instead of polishing in slow straight lines with the pad flat against the surface, I moved the polisher faster and swept it in an arc toward and away from the surface, doing an 8" section back and forth a few times before moving to the next section. This kept the pad spinning. I also slowed the machine down a little, from 5 to 4 speed setting.

Finally, I used Blackfire paint prep between polishing and applying Blackfire Blackice hybrid wax. I added some straight fine scratches in one spot when wiping off the paint prep, too much pressure. Otherwise I do not see any micro-marring in the final finish.

Harley batwing fairing-2282b-jpgHarley batwing fairing-2284b-jpg