autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering coatings

Also looking at the Essence Extreme gloss. Seems to be a good product. Especially since I’m going to be correcting anyway. Would it be a good choice if go with another brand coating?

This same question when I asked on the Brit site everyone suggested Can Coat

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to put on a layer of CQuartz UK 3.0 topped with a layer of CQuartz SiC as SiC adds a little better chemical resistance and water spot resistance. Plus SiC gives a MUCH slicker surface than just CQ UK 3.0. I'm adding Ech2O as I do rinesless washes and will use as a drying aid. And I also ordered Elixir for periodic topping though that one was harder for me to pull the trigger since I don't know that it is really needed.

3. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Also looking at the Essence Extreme gloss. Seems to be a good product. Especially since I’m going to be correcting anyway. Would it be a good choice if go with another brand coating?

This same question when I asked on the Brit site everyone suggested Can Coat
    CanCoat is a good product and SHOULD be compatible with Essence though the only way to be ABSOLUTELY sure is to panel wipe first. However CanCoat, is a lite ceramic coating and is more comparable to CQuartz Lite than CQuartz 3.0, which would translate to 6-12 months of useful lifespan vs 18-24 months for a true coating

I'll add that I decided to do a lighter coating last year and chose CanCoat and am not unhappy with it but I did choose to do a full coating this year and am going with CQuartz UK 3.0 and CQuartz SiC. But that was my decision.

5. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike just posted up about the new DP Coatings. Perhaps give the graphene one a try. It is on sale at the moment. They also have the new ceramic.

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Coating

Review: DP CR2 Ceramic Coating

As mentioned CanCoat is a good option. Versatile and durable. Cquartz Lite is the other. It will be slightly more durable than CanCoat. Both are wipe on wipe off. Some don't like the tacky sensation of Lite. But most coatings are tacky with an exception here and there.

From a true coating you have many options. Some like Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light topped with Exo. These are more on the slick side if you like that.

Cquartz UK 3.0 is another good option. It can be topped with their new SiC coating to which will add slickness and some anti-water spotting attributes. SiC does have some longer flash times so it can be a but tricky to get right. Gliss is always available if looking for a topper. Think of Gliss as a 1 year application of Reload.

Mike Phillips likes the blackfire black edition coating. Friend of mine also likes it. It does cost a little more but comes in a 50ml bottle which is enough for 2 layers on the paint. I will be testing this one shortly.

The same friend likes the Poorboys ceramic which I will also be testing. He has sent me a video showing how slick it is compared to Blackfire and 3D.

I would skip on Optimum Gloss Coat. Tried it and was underwhelmed by it's overall performance.

Really depends on what route you want to go. Are you looking for one coating? A multi layer coating? A lite version of a coating?

7. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, dgage, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the new coatings pop up. Think I’d rather go with something with more information available, ie track record. That’s help me know the pros and pitfalls.

With the lite products, what is the durability like? Think I’ve seen six months for some of them. At that point, think I’d rather go with the sealants I have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

And Texchappy, The Guz is one of the most knowledgeable when it comes to ceramic coatings as he has worked with a ton though there are so many... But his advice is definitely at the top of my list when considering coatings.

10. Likes Texchappy, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    And Texchappy, The Guz is one of the most knowledgeable when it comes to ceramic coatings as he has worked with a ton though there are so many... But his advice is definitely at the top of my list when considering coatings.
    Doing searches for research ive seen loads of his replies and I agree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    Saw the new coatings pop up. Think I’d rather go with something with more information available, ie track record. That’s help me know the pros and pitfalls.

With the lite products, what is the durability like? Think I’ve seen six months for some of them. At that point, think I’d rather go with the sealants I have on hand.
    SiO2 spray sealants are generally considered to last up to 6 months before needing to be renewed. Lite coatings are generally 6-12 month products and full coatings are generally 18-24 months. YMMV.

But there are a ton of factors at play. How well do you care for the paint after coating? A coating carefully washed regularly vs going through automatic washes will affect a coatings life. A garaged car vs daily driver outdoors 24/7. Lots of rain vs not much. Long trips every day to work vs lower mileage. Etc. Etc.

And I’ll add one more Mike Philips-ism. Find a product you like and use it regularly. A lite coating or sealant applied more often may be better for some than a longer lasting coating. And remember that a coating won’t necessarily protect paint from getting swirl marks so even with a coating that lasts 2 years, you may decide to polish and renew a finish sooner to make the paint look its best. I’ll have to see how things look after a year but I wouldn’t be surprised if I redo the coating next year just so I can polish and get the paint looking it’s best. So I may not get more than a year from a coating by choice. So that is something to consider as well.

13. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our cars are in about the perfect situation. Heated and Air Conditioned garage and driven less than 8k Mike’s a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    3D's ceramic coating is easy to apply and seems to work well.

I have it on one car and it's holding up well. Coming up on a year. Not much mileage in that time due to Covid but it sits outside in the sun and elements every day.

I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating on my RAM 1500 soon. I need to put something on it that will make it easier to clean. Washing an uncoated vehicle is much more of a chore.

I picked HPC because it looks very easy to apply, you get enough product to go around any size vehicle twice, price is right, and I already have a lot of the maintenance topper M799.

Lots of people seem to be happy with Cquartz UK 3.0 and I've heard a lot of good things about Gtechniq CSL although I've heard their topper C2V3 isn't the greatest (probably use something else).

Good luck. Literally dozens and dozens of options.
    Planning to use the same coating on my Ranger soon as well. I very much enjoy m799 and found it kept the truck easy to clean between washes and provided a nice gloss. Looking forward to using HPC.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast