autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best method for polishing deeply stained single stage paint? Possible mold?

Long time reader! But I think my current situation warrants a thread.

I have a new-to-me 1986 Jeep CJ7 in Olympic White.

From my research this is a single stage paint.

After washing and claying the car (See Before / After clay bar shot for paint closeup) I have found that there is a lot of staining deeply embedded in the paint.

I think it might be mold, or just old grease stains that have embedded themselves.

What would be the recommended approach to bringing some lift back into this old paint?

I understand it's not a show car, but I would love to do what I can to remove some of the stains.

Thanks!

I have a DA polisher, access to a variety of pads, and some Megs M83 on-hand.

I have read that Mike suggests starting with #7 for single stage. I'm happy to do this but I have a feeling it's not going to quite cut it.

-Clay in California

Best method for polishing deeply stained single stage paint? Possible mold?-img_4914-jpg
    Best method for polishing deeply stained single stage paint? Possible mold?-63613671818__4adbb842-8104-42d7-b060-9d1a8ceca6ed-jpg
    Best method for polishing deeply stained single stage paint? Possible mold?-63613795476__8462490c-494a-41ba-a1d4-90ccbee2aa1a-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best method for polishing deeply stained single stage paint? Possible mold?

I also want to highlight that I have read your White Paint Lessons article also. Which does give some good insight about the paint but I'm still a bit at a loss of what the best method is.

I guess this is a type II contaminant?

Should I just take my time with a product by hand to make sure I don't create too much heat? Or should I rotary with light pressure and a mild pad?

This paint is definitely very hard. I found that out while sanding down the inside of the tub. Gave my wire wheel a run for its money!

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some other photos

Attachment 72936

Attachment 72937

Wheels before and after - some rust around the center lug ring had eaten through all the chrome, so I had to wet sand. It will just live with a wax coating and frequent re-waxing - it's a jeep and they are the original wheels. They look great from 5 feet away.
    Attachment 72938

Attachment 72939

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sampsonrustic View Post

Long time reader! But I think my current situation warrants a thread.
    Love to see lurkers turn active.

I have a new-to-me 1986 Jeep CJ7 in Olympic White.

What would be the recommended approach to bringing some lift back into this old paint?

Here's one of your pictures...

This is an easy fix. The paint is simply stained. Any quality compound, polish or cleaner/wax will fix this.

I have a DA polisher, access to a variety of pads, and some Megs M83 on-hand.

Here's a question for you...

What do you own for a polisher and pads?

Mike Phillips

Cool old Jeep...

Wheels before and after

Nice job on the rims.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Love to see lurkers turn active.

Here's one of your pictures...

This is an easy fix. The paint is simply stained. Any quality compound, polish or cleaner/wax will fix this.

Here's a question for you...

What do you own for a polisher and pads?

Thanks for the quick response!

And yes it's a great jeep! Bone stock and passed smog! Little 4 cylinder 4-speed but very fun around town and on the milder trails.

I have a new-ish bauer variable speed DA from Harbor Freight.

I was planning to get some new pads because i destroyed (donated) some to my wheel cleaning adventure.

Open to suggestions for product and pads and technique! (start with less abrasive / or more abrasive? good speed for white paint? etc)

Mike Phillips

I have a new-ish bauer variable speed DA from Harbor Freight.

I was planning to get some new pads because i destroyed (donated) some to my wheel cleaning adventure.

Open to suggestions for product and pads and technique! (start with less abrasive / or more abrasive? good speed for white paint? etc)

First - I've looked at the foam pads at Harbor Freight and they are junk. I have used the polisher but it seems like half of the "experts" in the Facebook detailing world buys this tool.

I think this tool comes with a 6" backing plate. The company that makes it has probably never read any of my dozens of articles on why to put a 5" backing plate on tools like these.

If it does in fact have a 6" backing plate you have two choices,

Continue to purchase 6.5" buffing pads

Purchase a 5" backing plate and now you can buy smaller 5.5" pads and not only will they fit the panels on this Jeep better than larger pads, smaller pads will fit the body panels of all your vehicles better. The tool will also be more efficient at maintaining pad rotation with smaller, thinner pads.

You decide.

Then you can test a quality one-step cleaner/wax and see if it works. If it doesn't or if it isn't getting the stains out as fast as you would like then go straight to a compound like the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

The quick, fast easy way is if a one-step gets the job done.

Single stage white paint is very hard, thus you might need to do the 2-step approach, compound followed by the cleaner/wax.

Meguiar's makes a good cleaner/wax called, Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in a maroon bottle. Here's what Ultimate Compound looks like,

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound History

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and SwirlX

Mike Phillips

Here's another way to skin this cat...

The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

The COMET Technique for oxidized single stage paint

NOTE: The COMET technique is ONLY for oxidized SINGLE STAGE paint.

THEN - go to the cleaner/wax step with the DA polisher.

Mike Phillips

And...

Because you have a rotary polisher - you bet - cut that paint with a wool pad and a quality compound or even the Meguiar's M83 and then FOLLOW with the orbital DA polisher and a good cleaner/wax to remove the holograms and also seal the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And...

Because you have a rotary polisher - you bet - cut that paint with a wool pad and a quality compound or even the Meguiar's M83 and then FOLLOW with the orbital DA polisher and a good cleaner/wax to remove the holograms and also seal the paint.

Great tips Mike! Thank for your time.

So I have the 8mm orbital DA only - but you are correct it's 6 inch. i will look into finding a 5 inch adapter so I can use some better pads!

The jeep is currently getting some wheel hub, brake, and suspension work done but I will post pictures back in this thread once I attack those stains.

I did remember reading that comet post I will take another read. I think I have some in the garage somewhere.

I'm relieved you think the stains can come out - can't wait to see what this one will look like with some elbow grease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast