autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating correction.

I just coated my vehicle with CG Carbon Force ceramic coating. With the vehicle out in the sunlight the next day I notice a spot I didn't completely wipe down (high spot). You can see the ghosting on the pass door in the picture. How can I correct this? Polish, compound?

I have a 3" detailing polisher and was thinking I can spot polish/compound it down and recoat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ceramic coating correction.-20210328_092433-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating correction.

Polish the entire panel and re-coat it.

You can try adding more product onto an applicator to see if you can remove it. If that doesn’t work then polish it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Polish the entire panel and re-coat it.

You can try adding more product onto an applicator to see if you can remove it. If that doesn’t work then polish it.
    Thanks for replying so quickly. I thought I did the research and couldn't find the answer. However after little more looking I was able to take a microfiber sponge and some 3D ONE and remove the high spot. The coating is about 14 hours old.

I tell you after spending that kind of money I was freaking out.

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a perfect use for Mothers 3 in 1 ceramic polish. Use it to level and redo the panel.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post

I just coated my vehicle with CG Carbon Force ceramic coating. With the vehicle out in the sunlight the next day I notice a spot I didn't completely wipe down (high spot).

Here's your picture

Your story or experience is the EXACT reason I wrote this article. Someone else had the EXACT same problem as you.

For everyone reading this into the future - before installing a coating - invest in a GREAT hand-held light. Avoid the PROBLEM by inspecting your work with a great hand-held light.

Here's the article in it's entirety....

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

I just answered a question for a person that contacted Autogeek about how to remove high spots they did NOT discover until the next day. I never like sharing the answer because it depending upon the brand of ceramic paint coating, in order to remove any high spots that have fully dried and hardened, you may have to use a dedicated polish to abrade the high spot of coating off the paint.

You may have to use a COMPOUND to abrade the high spot of ceramic paint coating off the paint. I've even seen some people say that in order to fully remove some coatings you must wetsand!

Here's how to avoid having to re-polish, or re-compound or even wetsand to remove high spots.

Have a GREAT hand held light and CAREFULLY inspect each panel for high spots and gently remove immediately after you have applied or "installed" the coating. It will save you MUCH GRIEF.

The below is taken from a car detailing project we did a few years ago here at Autogeek, this is my good friend Jeff who is as meticulous about turning out high quality work as a person can get. NOTE how he is inspect each panel.

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

From page 3 of the thread...

Here's Jeff using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light to look for high spots of coating residue and if discovered, remove them.

These are a few shots I took which duplicate the BEFORE shots I took showing where there were issues with the paint.

I fully recommend the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light. Some might say it's expensive, but once you use it and it saves your butt you won't ever want to be without it.

And remember, Quality doesn't cost money... it makes money...

On Autogeek.com

SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light