autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinseless convertible top cleaning?

Mike, I have a restored 1969 Buick GS400 convertible. You actually used it to film a couple of commercials. My question: is there a way to clean and protect my convertible top without having to rinse the car with a hose? I don't want to flood the car with a hose and have water collect in areas I can't get to so I always use a rinseless wash. I'd like to use a similar technique for the top. Thanks, Jack.

Mike Phillips

Re: Rinseless convertible top cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by youngjw View Post

Mike, I have a restored 1969 Buick GS400 convertible.

You actually used it to film a couple of commercials. My question: is there a way to clean and protect my convertible top without having to rinse the car with a hose? I don't want to flood the car with a hose and have water collect in areas I can't get to so I always use a rinseless wash. I'd like to use a similar technique for the top.

Thanks,

Jack.

Hi Jack, last year I cleaned and protected a vinyl convertible top without running water.

I show how I did it here,

Review: Machine applying RaggTopp Vinyl Cleaner and Protectant - 1967 Camaro Convertible

I showed machine cleaning with a tool that cost around $450.00 and a DA Carpet brush by you can work by hand with a good brush.

then before the cleaner dried I wiped the area I cleaned with clean towels.

Here's the section that talks about this in the above article

Step 3: Using a clean towel, wipe off all the dirt and grime the cleaner loosened.

You can also rinse the top by flushing with water but because I was doing this work inside I started by wiping the grime off and after two thorough machine cleanings,

I then used a rinseless wash to fully rinse and wash the top off.

To RINSE all the vinyl cleaner off, I then washed the top via the "Rinseless Wash" technique but instead of using a real rinseless wash (they all contain "stuff" I don't want on the top), I used SONAX Glass Cleaner.

And guess what... I have an article on this topic,

SONAX Glass Cleaner as a Prep Wash

I put about 3-4 gallons of of water in a bucket and then poured in about 4-5 ounces of glass cleaner.

Then I take my stirring stick and mix the water and glass cleaner thoroughly.

Then dunk about a dozen clean, inspected towels into the solution.

The above pictures are from doing a rinseless wash on an old Dodge.

BUT - I used this same technique - just less towels to WASH the top on the Camaro. Wash with one wet towel and then dry that section with a clean dry towel. Not as good as running water but damn close.

Hope this helps...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Based on the article the sequence appears to be:
    1. Waterless wash
    2. Scrub one section at a time with cleaner using a good convertible top brush
    3. Wipe each section with a clean towel
    4. Finish using a rinseless wash made with Sonomax glass cleaner followed by protectant.

I'll give it a try.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by youngjw View Post

Thanks Mike. Based on the article the sequence appears to be:

1. Waterless wash
    2. Scrub one section at a time with cleaner using a good convertible top brush
    3. Wipe each section with a clean towel
    4. Finish using a rinseless wash made with SONAX glass cleaner followed by protectant.

That will work. I would also use the SONAX glass cleaner for the initial waterless wash.

The SONAX Glass Cleaner is good stuff. Whatever you don't use cleaning the top use inside the house for glass and mirrors. It's $13.00 a bottle.

SONAX Glass Cleaner - $12.99

I use the SONAX Glass Cleaner for a Prep Wash before buffing out classic cars and also as a clay lube. Handy stuff.